5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does the majority here use spacer lifts?

lkjk

Reaction score
Looking at the below, its only $1900, which is obviously more than spacer lifts but still very good value. Why don't more people go that route vs spacer lifts? Just cost?

Coming from Jeeps/Xterras, I'm familiar with the IFS and 4 Link w/TB rear end. Seems like spacers would objectively kill ride quality in the front and reduce downtravel in the rear (if you don't relocate or replace the rear shocks) with the only benefit of looks. What am i missing?

DOFF

Reaction score
I’d say mostly for cost and use. If they aren’t off-roading most won’t want to spend 2k plus on coilovers, arms, resi shocks and so on. Puck spacers usually maintain the stock ride quality from what people are saying on here.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
DOFF pretty much nailed it, low cost while maintaining stock ride quality with 2" or smaller puck risers (not the preload spring spacer).

Apettit13

Reaction score
Looking at the below, its only $1900, which is obviously more than spacer lifts but still very good value. Why don't more people go that route vs spacer lifts? Just cost?

Coming from Jeeps/Xterras, I'm familiar with the IFS and 4 Link w/TB rear end. Seems like spacers would objectively kill ride quality in the front and reduce downtravel in the rear (if you don't relocate or replace the rear shocks) with the only benefit of looks. What am i missing?
I do absolutely no off roading, the motofab spacers gave me the exact look I wanted, for a fraction of the cost, while still maintaining my ride quality. Now I can fit a bit bigger tires, and I’m only out a couple hundred bucks

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like a sweet kit though, maybe something I might consider for some light off-roading.

lkjk

Reaction score
I’d say mostly for cost and use. If they aren’t off-roading most won’t want to spend 2k plus on coilovers, arms, resi shocks and so on. Puck spacers usually maintain the stock ride quality from what people are saying on here.
Makes sense. I may try that route first since I'm going to do any real offroading. The Icon kit is tempting though, especially if you can get by without UCAs.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense. I may try that route first since I'm going to do any real offroading. The Icon kit is tempting though, especially if you can get by without UCAs.
“Getting by” is one way to shorten the lifespan of your CV’s and pop a ball joint. I’ve seen several (including aftermarket) shear or have a ball joint pop out on these trucks. Playing with fire IMO.

The Mopar arms are cheap enough to use.

lkjk

Reaction score
“Getting by” is one way to shorten the lifespan of your CV’s and pop a ball joint. I’ve seen several (including aftermarket) shear or have a ball joint pop out on these trucks. Playing with fire IMO.

The Mopar arms are cheap enough to use.

What aftermarket BJs sheared? Haven't looked at ucas much but I would rather pay extra for an upgraded part, assuming the mopar is essentially stockish adjusting camber

jimrody

Reaction score
I've purchased the 2" pucks and the OEM upper arm to level the front.
Where should I take it to have these installed? Suspension shop, local garage or ? TIA

Reaction score
I've purchased the 2" pucks and the OEM upper arm to level the front.
Where should I take it to have these installed? Suspension shop, local garage or ? TIA
I'd image any small local shop would be able to handle this your best bet is to find one that does alignment and getting it all done at once. Spacers are simple, as well as the UCA.

Let me know how it rides once installed compared to stock. I'm stuck between spacers and adjustable coil overs at the moment, the only off roading I do is in and out of fields during hunting, the stock air dam height is just asking to be ripped off the way the nose sits currently.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What aftermarket BJs sheared? Haven't looked at ucas much but I would rather pay extra for an upgraded part, assuming the mopar is essentially stockish adjusting camber
I've had 2" motofab spacers on for about 15k miles now with some mild off roading. Ran over 100k on other trucks with spacers. OEM UCA's and no problems. CV's aren't insanely difficult to change out, and I check my suspension when I rotate tires every 5k. I didn't want to take a brand new truck's suspension and chuck it, so I spent $70 on spacers instead of $1500+ on a kit. When my shocks wear out I'll go mid travel or something similar. Got the lift I wanted in the short term, saved thousands for other upgrades such as air bags, bed cover, wheels, etc.

Mopar UCA's run another $100 or so, and I've been too lazy to get them and install. I thought my steering was creaking, but it turned out to be my UCA bushings, so I may have a reason (read: excuse) when I tell my wife I need new UCA's.

Reaction score
I've had 2" motofab spacers on for about 15k miles now with some mild off roading. Ran over 100k on other trucks with spacers. OEM UCA's and no problems. CV's aren't insanely difficult to change out, and I check my suspension when I rotate tires every 5k. I didn't want to take a brand new truck's suspension and chuck it, so I spent $70 on spacers instead of $1500+ on a kit. When my shocks wear out I'll go mid travel or something similar. Got the lift I wanted in the short term, saved thousands for other upgrades such as air bags, bed cover, wheels, etc.

Mopar UCA's run another $100 or so, and I've been too lazy to get them and install. I thought my steering was creaking, but it turned out to be my UCA bushings, so I may have a reason (read: excuse) when I tell my wife I need new UCA's.
And your ride quality is still close to stock? and noticeable differences?

Had the same spacers on my third gen that i traded for the new 2021.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And your ride quality is still close to stock? and noticeable differences?

Had the same spacers on my third gen that i traded for the new 2021.
It's pretty close. My wife can't notice a difference, and I really only notice on large bumps where the suspension compresses significantly. I left the rear unchanged for the most part, so it's still smooth. 2018 spacers will fit on these trucks without issue.

U

User_63152

My issue would be fitting my truck in my garage. LOL. It is close as it is now. I have 2-3 inches on each mirror and maybe 4 inches on the roof.

I ordered a Wulf 1.5'' leveling kit for the 4th Gen. Tony the Truck Guy on YouTube installed them on his 2019, so I know they'll fit. And, they work perfectly with the factory UCA's. That's plenty of "lift" for me.

Also, I won't be going bigger than 275/60/r20 tires. Most likely Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus. They have great reviews on Tire Rack.

*Update*

I got my Wulf leveling kit today. Hopefully, I can get it installed soon. I have a million things going on.

Attachments

• Wulf Leveling Kit.jpg
    Wulf Leveling Kit.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score

Cost for some, Some don't know what they're missing, some don't need this type of suspension upgrades etc., a lot of people in the truck community simply want to lift the front to get rid of the rake or to accomodate bigger tires and they won't care how they get there. The higher they go for cheap the better type of mind set.

The demand for $2000 shocks is not exactly in full swing in this RAM particular market. Take the Tacoma market, or Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, on the full size 1/2 ton trucks take the Ford Raptor or or even the Toyota Tundra, look at all the options they have for suspension.. in the case of the Raptor and the ZR2 or the Taco/Tundra TRD they already come with a decent suspension setup but some buying those truck demand more performance so there are lot of performance options when it comes to shocks, hydro bumpstops, IBP Coilovers/shocks etc etc etc available to them to upgrade and they also have spacers available, but in their case they have people more into the hi performance options and they have more options in return.., compare that to the TRX truck so far already out there on the streets and you'll find the gap it exist betwen platforms.
TRX dudes are been offered top spacers after shelling out $90k + for their rigs i'm sure that will change with some time, but it's funny how the aftermarket reacts to demand... for example, a vehicle that is not even out on the street yet and they have a big page at Fox suspension and 3 different type of coilovers and that's just the introduction :) even the Gladiator have now more suspension options that anything you ever seen for RAM's.
1618238842490.png

Something to read on about the topic.

lkjk

Reaction score
Cost for some, Some don't know what they're missing, some don't need this type of suspension upgrades etc., a lot of people in the truck community simply want to lift the front to get rid of the rake or to accomodate bigger tires and they won't care how they get there. The higher they go for cheap the better type of mind set.

The demand for $2000 shocks is not exactly in full swing in this RAM particular market. Take the Tacoma market, or Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, on the full size 1/2 ton trucks take the Ford Raptor or or even the Toyota Tundra, look at all the options they have for suspension.. in the case of the Raptor and the ZR2 or the Taco/Tundra TRD they already come with a decent suspension setup but some buying those truck demand more performance so there are lot of performance options when it comes to shocks, hydro bumpstops, IBP Coilovers/shocks etc etc etc available to them to upgrade and they also have spacers available, but in their case they have people more into the hi performance options and they have more options in return.., compare that to the TRX truck so far already out there on the streets and you'll find the gap it exist betwen platforms.
TRX dudes are been offered top spacers after shelling out $90k + for their rigs i'm sure that will change with some time, but it's funny how the aftermarket reacts to demand... for example, a vehicle that is not even out on the street yet and they have a big page at Fox suspension and 3 different type of coilovers and that's just the introduction :) even the Gladiator have now more suspension options that anything you ever seen for RAM's.
View attachment 89154

Something to read on about the topic.

It is pretty wild the differences in demand between platforms. I have a jeep JK, which probably has the biggest aftermarket options out there for any platform. The most surprising thing is that 5th gens start at $40kish new, with a lot of them going for much more than that, so it would seem relative to the cost of the vehicle, spending $2k on suspension is not a huge amount

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
It is pretty wild the differences in demand between platforms. I have a jeep JK, which probably has the biggest aftermarket options out there for any platform. The most surprising thing is that 5th gens start at $40kish new, with a lot of them going for much more than that, so it would seem relative to the cost of the vehicle, spending $2k on suspension is not a huge amount
I had a JKU Sport before the RAM and i really miss that puppy a lot. i regret selling it.
Miss that type of aftermarket as well. Anyhing there is out there and they keep coming up with more is just great.
I went a lot of places on just 35's and skids everywhere :) i'm thinking to go back to Jeep camp in December, if i do it Wife will inherit the RAM. i won't be making the same mistake i did with the Jeep.
13876566_1823285174567106_5324046354472188549_n by RAM RSM, on Flickr

The truck is set more for open spaces, she's a big girl, have much more space for the family to go outdoors/camping all together so she'll stay. plus she likes to get dirty too.

2021-04-10_04-58-28 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

2021-04-10_04-59-28 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

2021-04-10_04-59-05 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:
U

User_63152

I had a JKU Sport before the RAM and i really miss that puppy a lot. i regret selling it.
Miss that type of aftermarket as well. Anyhing there is out there and they keep coming up with more is just great.
I went a lot of places on just 35's and skids everywhere :) i'm thinking to go back to Jeep camp in December, if i do it Wife will inherit the RAM. i won't be making the same mistake i did with the Jeep.
13876566_1823285174567106_5324046354472188549_n by RAM RSM, on Flickr
Now, that's some flex!

21Longhorn

Reaction score
My issue would be fitting my truck in my garage. LOL. It is close as it is now. I have 2-3 inches on each mirror and maybe 4 inches on the roof.

I ordered a Wulf 1.5'' leveling kit for the 4th Gen. Tony the Truck Guy on YouTube installed them on his 2019, so I know they'll fit. And, they work perfectly with the factory UCA's. That's plenty of "lift" for me.

Also, I won't be going bigger than 275/60/r20 tires. Most likely Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus. They have great reviews on Tire Rack.

*Update*

I got my Wulf leveling kit today. Hopefully, I can get it installed soon. I have a million things going on.
I have been looking at this leveling kit also, please post some pictures after you get yours installed.
I'm just looking to take a little rake out, without destroying ball joints and CV axles.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I level I’d rather use spacers because it’s cheap and I dont really go off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread