5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would be interested in this engine if it became available?

krakenatwork

Reaction score
The Achates engine seems promising (that said, many engine makers said this...) The engine can be designed as a diesel burning engine or as a compression-ignition gasoline engine too. The gas version could yield 270hp/480ft-lb at around 37mpg (which sounds impressive). They said the diesel version could yield 42mpg (and all the time they're talking about putting it in a pickup truck).

Interesting point, the diesel version sounds a bit like a Detroit Diesel engine, which isn't half bad :p .

It's a relative to the pre-WW2 Junkers JuMo engine, or a Deltic engine amputated of a crank and 2 cylinder banks.

So, anybody would be interested?

krakenatwork

Reaction score
Well, just found that Cummins is working on similar engines with Achates for the military; so the idea of having such an engine in a RAM might not be as far fetched as I first figured.

For those not in the know, Janes publishing group is the nearest thing to a civilian intelligence agency.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
14 liter single cylinder dual opposing pistons 1,000 HP.
I’ll take one in the Limited.

A10

Reaction score
Why can’t ram just put that Cummins that comes in the Nissan Titan, into the 1500?? I’d be all over that.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Why can’t ram just put that Cummins that comes in the Nissan Titan, into the 1500?? I’d be all over that.
Cummins had an exclusive deal with RAM as a supplier, that changed in 2013 (according to Nissan) when they started planning for the smaller engine in their Titan pickup. Now as to the why RAM couldn’t have gotten the same one, either licensing prohibited it or RAM thought it too big for either the front suspension or perhaps CAFE standards.
Heres an Autoblog.com article excerpt from Sept 27, 2013:
Nissan Titan's upcoming Cummins diesel originally meant for Ram

DAMON LOWNEY
Sep 27th 2013 at 9:13AM
(Begin quote)
“The Cummins 5.0-liter turbocharged diesel V8 that Ram initially planned to use in its pickup trucks instead will find its way into the 2015 Nissan Titan as an option, Automobile reports. It will be the first time a non-Ram pickup truck will be available with a Cummins diesel engine.

The move comes after Chrysler decided to use a 3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel engine designed by VM Motori (which is partially owned by Fiat) due to fuel economy concerns with the Cummins engine. Chrysler wanted its 2014 Ram 1500 trucks to achieve at least 26 miles per gallon. "Our simulations were showing 23 to 24 mpg [for the 5.0-liter engine]," says Mike Cairns, head of engineering at Ram.

Nissan had plans in 2008 to team with Cummins for a diesel engine for its Titan, when there were also plans for the second-generation Titan to share its platform with the Dodge Ram 1500, according to Automotive News, but that didn't pan out after Chrysler's bankruptcy in 2009.

Now that the dust is settling, let's put the pieces together. The 2014 Ram 1500 will get the EcoDiesel V6 as an option, making 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque; heavy-duty Rams can be equipped with the Cummins 6.7-liter diesel I6, which makes 350-385 hp and 660-850 lb-ft depending on the state of tune; and the 2015 Nissan Titan, a light-duty pick-up, will get the Cummins 5.0-liter V8 as an option, which makes roughly 300 hp and 500 lb-ft.” End of quoted article

A10

Reaction score
Cummins had an exclusive deal with RAM as a supplier, that changed in 2013 (according to Nissan) when they started planning for the smaller engine in their Titan pickup. Now as to the why RAM couldn’t have gotten the same one, either licensing prohibited it or RAM thought it too big for either the front suspension or perhaps CAFE standards.
Heres an Autoblog.com article excerpt from Sept 27, 2013:
Nissan Titan's upcoming Cummins diesel originally meant for Ram

DAMON LOWNEY
Sep 27th 2013 at 9:13AM
(Begin quote)
“The Cummins 5.0-liter turbocharged diesel V8 that Ram initially planned to use in its pickup trucks instead will find its way into the 2015 Nissan Titan as an option, Automobile reports. It will be the first time a non-Ram pickup truck will be available with a Cummins diesel engine.

The move comes after Chrysler decided to use a 3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel engine designed by VM Motori (which is partially owned by Fiat) due to fuel economy concerns with the Cummins engine. Chrysler wanted its 2014 Ram 1500 trucks to achieve at least 26 miles per gallon. "Our simulations were showing 23 to 24 mpg [for the 5.0-liter engine]," says Mike Cairns, head of engineering at Ram.

Nissan had plans in 2008 to team with Cummins for a diesel engine for its Titan, when there were also plans for the second-generation Titan to share its platform with the Dodge Ram 1500, according to Automotive News, but that didn't pan out after Chrysler's bankruptcy in 2009.

Now that the dust is settling, let's put the pieces together. The 2014 Ram 1500 will get the EcoDiesel V6 as an option, making 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque; heavy-duty Rams can be equipped with the Cummins 6.7-liter diesel I6, which makes 350-385 hp and 660-850 lb-ft depending on the state of tune; and the 2015 Nissan Titan, a light-duty pick-up, will get the Cummins 5.0-liter V8 as an option, which makes roughly 300 hp and 500 lb-ft.” End of quoted article

Thanks for the article. Too bad tho.

mass-hole

Reaction score
German WWII bombers used opposed piston engines so this isnt some mysterious modern technology. I feel like if there was a solid case to be made(and it wasn't being pushed by the Saudi national oil company) it would have been implemented by now.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Short answer: No. By the time they get all the bugs worked out, I'll be too old and senile to drive, or possibly dead.

Commer had an opposed cylinder diesel back in the 1960's if not earlier. So it;s not exactly groundbreaking technology. As for military use, that's not surprising. Notice how popular the multifuel turbines like they put in the Abrams tanks have become.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Bottom line is FCA, wanted to use their engine, to boost their profits. I waited for the Cummins V-8 for the Ram 1500, but then Obama sold our Chrysler products to the Italians, who immediately slamed the door closed on the Cummins engine. Unfortunatly Nissan didn't have the experianced diesel techs, and priced it way more than it was worth. Again I waited for it to hit the market with Nissan, but it was so high in cost, I could buy a Laramie optioned CTD for less. I ended up settling on a Tacoma, why the Tacoma, because I already had a 07 3500 DRW C&C and was looking for a half ton, or a truck that could tow my small boat. The Tacoma was the upper end TRD 4X4 off road, it could tow the boat and was less than any 1500/150 pickup.

Reactions: A10

Users who are viewing this thread