5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has removed tonneau cover?

Robbyreneeward

Reaction score
Planning on ordering a limited 1500 night edition, which comes with tonneau cover. I do not want the cover though, so how hard is it to remove? Or should I order a Laramie night edition, which doesn’t come with it. I prefer the look of the headlights on the limited, though. First time poster, long time lurker. Originally planned to order a TRX, but due to I promotion at work I will receive next year, I will need some thing that gets better fuel economy on the highway as I will be doing a lot of driving. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cover is super easy to remove, no reason to not order a Limited just because of the cover. 2 latches each side and it's off

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's like any other tonneau cover it takes about 5 minutes. Should be an anchor on each corner that hooks under the bed rail.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are some install vids on youtube (from dealers). It's very easy. It's quite possibly a dealer installed option anyway, you can probably ask them to just leave it in the bed of the truck uninstalled.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's the same soft cover that's on my Limited Night, easy as pie, takes like 2 minutes.

It's actually a pretty nice cover too, good quality, I was impressed. Not as sleek as a hard cover of course but MUCH easier to take off. So you might end up liking it on since it's so easy to remove when you need to.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's the same soft cover that's on my Limited Night, easy as pie, takes like 2 minutes.

It's actually a pretty nice cover too, good quality, I was impressed. Not as sleek as a hard cover of course but MUCH easier to take off. So you might end up liking it on since it's so easy to remove when you need to.
Agreed, I was surprised at how nice it actually was. The truck I test drove had a cover that was loose and flapping around so thought I was going to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised. It might loosen up over time, but its only going to last until I find some silver rails so I can install my retrax. :)

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Planning on ordering a limited 1500 night edition, which comes with tonneau cover. I do not want the cover though, so how hard is it to remove? Or should I order a Laramie night edition, which doesn’t come with it. I prefer the look of the headlights on the limited, though. First time poster, long time lurker. Originally planned to order a TRX, but due to I promotion at work I will receive next year, I will need some thing that gets better fuel economy on the highway as I will be doing a lot of driving. Thanks

Go Limited and go EcoDiesel with the 3.21 axle. Not only do the limited headlights look better they perform much better as well and the EcoDiesel on highway trips will always be North of 25 depending on the weight of your right foot. And to answer your tonneu cover question yes it is easy to remove. That being said unless you are going to put a different tonneau cover over it it does help the fuel economy as well.

Robbyreneeward

Reaction score
Go Limited and go EcoDiesel with the 3.21 axle. Not only do the limited headlights look better they perform much better as well and the EcoDiesel on highway trips will always be North of 25 depending on the weight of your right foot. And to answer your tonneu cover question yes it is easy to remove. That being said unless you are going to put a different tonneau cover over it it does help the fuel economy as well.

Thanks. Definitely going eco. But with 3.92 gears so I can tow my camper as well.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, I was surprised at how nice it actually was. The truck I test drove had a cover that was loose and flapping around so thought I was going to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised. It might loosen up over time, but its only going to last until I find some silver rails so I can install my retrax. :)
I was considering a retractable cover as well but not too keen on it cutting off the very back (front?) of the bed. I haul (large) yard debris around, and occasionally furniture and/or random junk and need all the room I can get. I like the idea of being able to just remove the cover entirely (and easily). Still thinking about it though.

Also, hard/retractable covers add weight and reduce payload and mine's already crappy enough lol

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely going eco. But with 3.92 gears so I can tow my camper as well.

I'll just forewarn you I went 3.92 this time for the same reason and my average dropped from 27+ (other than wintertime) down to 22-23. I'll go back to 3.21 next time.

Robbyreneeward

Reaction score
I'll just forewarn you I went 3.92 this time for the same reason and my average dropped from 27+ (other than wintertime) down to 22-23. I'll go back to 3.21 next time.

What is towing capacity with 3.21?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is towing capacity with 3.21?

Generally speaking you're looking at 9,600lbs with 3.92's and 7900lbs with 3.21's on the diesel with a Limited trim. That said, it seems like 8000lbs isn't much fun on these trucks either way.

Robbyreneeward

Reaction score
Generally speaking you're looking at 9,600lbs with 3.92's and 7900lbs with 3.21's on the diesel with a Limited trim. That said, it seems like 8000lbs isn't much fun on these trucks either way.

Holy **** I was thinking it was 12.5k with 3.92 gears. I’m guessing that’s with a tradesman trim, though. Well, won’t be able to tow my camper then. It’s 8900 dry. The wife will just have to keep towing with her 3/4 ton.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy **** I was thinking it was 12.5k with 3.92 gears. I’m guessing that’s with a tradesman trim, though. Well, won’t be able to tow my camper then. It’s 8900 dry. The wife will just have to keep towing with her 3/4 ton.

That is the Hemi eTorque in 2wd quad cab Tradesman trim with a very specific Dana super 60 rear axle. Which next to no one has purchased. No member here has.

The Hemi and the EcoDiesel both have 13900 GCWR with 3.21. The EcoDiesel is not the heavy tower...it is for fuel mileage while towing an avg trailer. With 3.92 the EcoDiesel is limited to 15600 GCWR the Hemi goes all the way to 17000.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A 9K lbs trailer is a bad idea in any 1500, with any configuration. Just not enough weight on the truck to plant you, and not enough payload capacity to make the tongue weight manageable.

The safe/low end is like 5K dry, and the doable but pushing it end is around 7k dry (and even then, something like a fully-loaded Limited with 3.21's and an ecodiesel can't/shouldn't handle that much).

Users who are viewing this thread