5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Mobil 1 Oil Filter Instead of OEM Mopar Filter?

Texas Woody

Reaction score
Couldn't figure out if the M1-113A Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter is a direct replacement for the OEM Mopar oil filter for our 5.7L Hemis?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Texas Woody

Reaction score
It is. I’m running one.
Thanks for confirming. Getting ready to have the dealer do my first oil change and I'm supplying the oil and filter. 7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and this oil filter for $54.50 shipped to my door seems very reasonable!

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
there is a rebate on mobil 1 5qt jugs. You can get the jugs for under $20 at walmart and $12 rebate on each, limit 4 per household. So its $8/5qts

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. Getting ready to have the dealer do my first oil change and I'm supplying the oil and filter. 7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and this oil filter for $54.50 shipped to my door seems very reasonable!
Make sure you watch those guys use your oil. Not to be tin foil hat but I've heard stories about outfits pocketing the oil and using their own wholesale bulk drum oil.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Make sure you watch those guys use your oil. Not to be tin foil hat but I've heard stories about outfits pocketing the oil and using their own wholesale bulk drum oil.

I always worried about that myself, you can't see what they are doing typically since the dealer bays are way back out of sight, I've had to rely on requesting my empty bottles and marking my old filter in hopes they actually used my stuff.

Until I asked a buddy of mine who worked at a dealership service doing oil services. He said these guys can get any stuff they want for cheap and it wouldn't be worth any effort to cheat a customer of their high end oil for their stuff in the drums. He said the only time you may get cheated is if the tech forgot or wasn't told to use your oil and filter and ended up using the standard stuff.

It happened to me once, but they admitted to forgetting to use my stuff which was still sitting on the passenger seat. They didn't charge me and I decided to hold on to the oil for the next change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtr

Texas Woody

Reaction score
I watched them do it this morning. They pulled my truck into the first service bay closest to the waiting area so I was able to see it all happen...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I watched them do it this morning. They pulled my truck into the first service bay closest to the waiting area so I was able to see it all happen...
Makes it convenient. I always watch the people working on my truck when I have a chance. If they use/replace anything I make them show me the old parts removed or the empty packaging (oil jugs in this case) to prove that they did the work if I have any reservations about the place.

I am also using the M1-113A filter BTW.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do my own, so I know what goes into it...
I did that for the last 18 years. I knew that every part was correct and that every fastener was torqued to spec.

Now that I actually have something with a warranty things aren't as black and white. I did my first oil change so hopefully that won't be an issue that there's no record of it except for the oil and filter receipts. I want to level the truck a bit for more ground clearance off-roading. It looks easy enough to install but would that void my warranty if I don't have it "professionally" installed? I know I'd do just as good a job as they would (it would just take me a lot longer).

First world problems but considerations and concerns I've never had to deal with before.

ramhead

Reaction score

What is the labor charge for them to do the change if you provide oil/filter?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I did that for the last 18 years. I knew that every part was correct and that every fastener was torqued to spec.

Now that I actually have something with a warranty things aren't as black and white. I did my first oil change so hopefully that won't be an issue that there's no record of it except for the oil and filter receipts. I want to level the truck a bit for more ground clearance off-roading. It looks easy enough to install but would that void my warranty if I don't have it "professionally" installed? I know I'd do just as good a job as they would (it would just take me a lot longer).

First world problems but considerations and concerns I've never had to deal with before.

Ya, I have hear the same thing since I bought my 2003, people worrying about the warranty. My wifes old Journeys engine gave out, was a 2009, with the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty, and I kept a recorded log with the dates and mileage of oil changes. was never a question... if you keep it logged, then they cannot say anything.. even when you take it to a oil change shop, you have to keep the receipts... they can look at the engine and see if it has been cared for...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...that's kind of what I figured. I've kept detailed records on every vehicle I've owned (drives my wife crazy sometimes).

Not to cast any stereotypes but I'm not a young kid (I'm on the north side of 50) nor am I doing anything crazy (supercharger, 12" lift, etc.) so I think I might be okay with any issues.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...that's kind of what I figured. I've kept detailed records on every vehicle I've owned (drives my wife crazy sometimes).

Not to cast any stereotypes but I'm not a young kid (I'm on the north side of 50) nor am I doing anything crazy (supercharger, 12" lift, etc.) so I think I might be okay with any issues.

mid 50s here, still enjoy getting under the truck, except when they put the filter on too dang tight

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still enjoy it too but my wife is happy that I'm not fixing a leak every weekend now (coming from a Ford F-250 diesel with 320K miles). ;)

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
as someone who has owned cars and low ones his whole life, its a nice change to just have to put the truck in off road 2 setting and crawl under it without having to use ramps or jacks to change the oil

Users who are viewing this thread