5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to put the dog…..

scubes13

Reaction score
Ok, so we have a 2022 RAM 1500 Limited with crew cab and 6’4” bed with multifunction gate…..

Thus far, we have not taken our 10yo Vizsla with us anywhere in the truck….

Issue with putting the dog in the cab…
- Two children in rear with car seats
- Longer rides, wife or I jump into middle of rear seat to hang out with them.
- He’s still high strung/hyper and I am scared to death he’ll ruin our leather. 🥺

So, I am trying to figure out what options are out there for having him ride in the bed of the truck.

Right now, we have a BakFlip hard tonneau cover. We don’t have a camper shell.

I’m interested in seeing what sort of dog crates or boxes or ______ exist where he could ride comfortably in the bed while we could also use the remainder of the bed for dry storage on trips.

Not opposed to a shell, but hoping there may be some amazing thing out there that I just didn’t know existed that would do the trick for us.

Thoughts? Ideas?

jent

Reaction score
Based off what you described a bed shell sounds like the only way.

I would never put a kennel under a tonneau cover. Not enough air flow, in theory you could make some hvac and monitoring setup, but it seems scary to me. I wouldn't want my dog back there knowing how quickly and how hot it can get under the cover.

Even with a shell I would try to find one that can enable good air flow and then add in some temperature monitoring.

scubes13

Reaction score

I would never put a kennel under a tonneau cover. Not enough air flow, in theory you could make some hvac and monitoring setup, but it seems scary to me. I wouldn't want my dog back there knowing how quickly and how hot it can get under the cover.

Even with a shell I would try to find one that can enable good air flow and then add in some temperature monitoring.
Yeah, I didn’t know if there might be some sort of half tonneau / half crate sort of thing out there, etc.

Definitely not suggesting I would put him under tonneau. ;)

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We bought a back seat cover made for dogs. It can cover just the back seat or be attached to the front seat head rests and cover the back of the front seats. They also make covers for door panels, but not sure how they work. I'm still too afraid to let my dog ride in the Ram. She went camping with us this weekend, but only because my wife drove her Jeep too.

Attachments

• 20220724_100715.jpg
    20220724_100715.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 81

scubes13

Reaction score
We bought a back seat cover made for dogs. It can cover just the back seat or be attached to the front seat head rests and cover the back of the front seats. They also make covers for door panels, but not sure how they work. I'm still too afraid to let my dog ride in the Ram. She went camping with us this weekend, but only because my wife drove her Jeep too.
Thanks. Yeah, we had back seat covers for our previous two cars. Still have the cover. We just have zero room for him back there unless he rides in the floorboard. But on our 20hr road trip a few weeks ago, we had all sorts of things taking up that space. So I just don’t see how we could fit him in the cab of the truck.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I have two large (85 lb) dogs. I went the topper route. I didn’t want them in the cab for reasons you stated and with the topper, I can open the topper’s windows and if I want to, I can open a window from the cab to the topper. It’s the best solution I could come up with. I hunt with them and take them to the field regularly so this is the thing that works for me.

Threesuns1

Reaction score
My son has one if those canvas toppers, quick on quick off, for his 2020 Ram. When we go to hunt tests the dog rides in a plastic kennel that straps to the rails inside the bed. When we get to the site the sides and back roll up and the pup is sitting in shade.

GP-TEK

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss OP. I will still post this for other folks. I hate loosing a Dog. AreA Topper with bed rug and rug on ceiling. Aluminum dog guards on both windows. Led lights and USB 12 V DC for accessories like fans to circulate the air. I run full AC and have the window open from cab to topper. Looking at routing back AC into topper a different way.

All dogs go to heaven.

Attachments

• 06DDAF68-1DB9-4C26-A509-C5599884A94D.jpeg
    06DDAF68-1DB9-4C26-A509-C5599884A94D.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 34

Oldphart

Reaction score
I used to breed Weimaraners, so I know about dogs that are a bit on the hyper side. Just get a wire crate of sufficient size and tie it down in the bed. If you are worried about airflow, a small 12v fan should work.

834k3r

Reaction score
Ok, so we have a 2022 RAM 1500 Limited with crew cab and 6’4” bed with multifunction gate…..

Thus far, we have not taken our 10yo Vizsla with us anywhere in the truck….

Issue with putting the dog in the cab…
- Two children in rear with car seats
- Longer rides, wife or I jump into middle of rear seat to hang out with them.
- He’s still high strung/hyper and I am scared to death he’ll ruin our leather. 🥺

So, I am trying to figure out what options are out there for having him ride in the bed of the truck.

Right now, we have a BakFlip hard tonneau cover. We don’t have a camper shell.

I’m interested in seeing what sort of dog crates or boxes or ______ exist where he could ride comfortably in the bed while we could also use the remainder of the bed for dry storage on trips.

Not opposed to a shell, but hoping there may be some amazing thing out there that I just didn’t know existed that would do the trick for us.

Thoughts? Ideas?
We have a 7-year old Vizsla and an 18-month old golden retriever--so I feel your pain. When we knew we needed the rear seating, we did was put a blanket down and she sat (as best we could manage, anyway) on the back seat. Once our kids got cars of their own and didn't join my wife and I on so many outings, we now use the Duluth Trading Co rear seat cover (forget the name of it, but there's a thread here about it) or put them in the back (we have a canopy shell; one of the few times where we thought ahead correctly).

834k3r

Reaction score

When my dogs are in the bed, we open the cab rear window, the "front" window of the canopy and the side windows of the canopy. Adds quite a bit of road noise into the cab, but the airflow through the bed is more than adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread