5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to download and update uConnect myself?

MarvinK

Reaction score
I took my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited to the dealer for some recalls and software upgrades--and the upgrade completely failed on them. They have a new system on order, but I wish there was a way I could try to recover it myself. The screen is completely blank and nothing related to it works--but if I plug in my phone, it will continuously reboot (shows the RAM logo, adds the SiriusXM logo, switches to blank screen... over and over again). I'm pretty sure if I had a software upgrade, it would let me try to install it again. Any ideas?

I get why they don't make it readily available on the internet--but I bet there are plenty of $60k truck owners who are better with software than many RAM mechanics.

AMG16

Reaction score
I just purchase my Ram as well and waa trying to figure out how to update Uconnect and the maps. My neighborhood was built about a year and half ago and if still doesn’t have it on the maps.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You used to be able to download the .ISO from their website, create a USB, and do it yourself. It was how I hacked and added my own backgrounds for the Durango R/T .. I haven't played with these new 1500s yet to see if you can or not. I'll have to do some digging.
I thought someone on here said you can no longer do USB updates. This was answered in another post similar to yours.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They may not make it available for end users to download, but the dealer upgraded the radio software on mine and used the USB port to do it instead of the OBD port.

AMG16

Reaction score
How do you know if you have the latest map and Uconnect update?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you know if you have the latest map and Uconnect update?

Those are two separate things. Stereo FW can only be upgraded by a dealer but there are also OTA Uconnect updates. You're just at the mercy of Ram as to when the push them out.

Maps are totally different. Nav system maps are updated no more often then annually and since they are huge and based on a license (Ram isn't in the map business so they license someone else's for the Uconnect Nav system) they have to be a paid for update from your dealer. My wife drives a 2011 Mercedes and we get a post card from Merc like clockwork once per year with a "deal" to update the 2011 maps. Their idea of a "deal" is usually $200. We laugh and use Waze and never look back.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Those are two separate things. Stereo FW can only be upgraded by a dealer but there are also OTA Uconnect updates. You're just at the mercy of Ram as to when the push them out.

Maps are totally different. Nav system maps are updated no more often then annually and since they are huge and based on a license (Ram isn't in the map business so they license someone else's for the Uconnect Nav system) they have to be a paid for update from your dealer. My wife drives a 2011 Mercedes and we get a post card from Merc like clockwork once per year with a "deal" to update the 2011 maps. Their idea of a "deal" is usually $200. We laugh and use Waze and never look back.

This. On my BMW, I used to pay a guy to send me hacked map files. It is 75% cheaper than the dealer update. But now that android auto and Apple CarPlay exist, I just use those.

AMG16

Reaction score
This. On my BMW, I used to pay a guy to send me hacked map files. It is 75% cheaper than the dealer update. But now that android auto and Apple CarPlay exist, I just use those.

I like using Apple CarPlay just hate it had to be connect with a cord!

I was using the Apple maps just on my phone and it was coming through the speakers via Bluetooth, but what if I wanted to listen to XM or the radio anyway to have it still work?

AMG16

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can connect via Bluetooth and still get the Apple map guidance, but be on a different media like XM or the radio

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can connect via Bluetooth and still get the Apple map guidance, but be on a different media like XM or the radio

Not with bluetooth - only with the cord / Carplay/AAuto connections can you use map audio overlaid on XM/Radio/CD etc

That's because all headunits treat BT like any other audio source and dont allow them to overlay (ie cant overlay XM over CD or BT over XM)

AMG16

Reaction score
Thanks for the knowledge! This sucks my Kia Optima had an update and it works no matter what you are using in the car.

I like using the Uconnect, but it needs more updates.

Users who are viewing this thread