5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When you read the max payload number and not your specific payload number

gofishn

Reaction score
Not ot mention axle weight rating.

Used to see this, back in the 1980's, with extended frame trucks that had Landoll or other types of hydrolic trailers put on the back of them, mostly for car hauling.
Remeber, frods were toughest, until they did away with the twin I beam, thne they too would bend like this. Every single time, it was the same Cause, Guy behind the purchase, not the truck.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Overloaded yes, but it appears that the weight bias is behind the rear axle.
Yeah, the frame didn’t buckle downward as it would by being overloaded with weight. It buckled upward (negative moment) - that must have been one heavy-a$$ motorcycle

Loudram

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of truck owners who tow/haul yet don't know or understand their trucks numbers. If I had to guess I would say about 70% of the campers out there couldn't tell you what their actual payload rating is (not the sticker number) or their tongue/pin weight of their rig.

Even though I know what my tongue weight is on my trailer (I use a weigh safe true tow hitch) and I know I have enough payload I'm still going to take my new truck to a scale and weigh it before I tow with it the first time.

IMHO if you're too lazy to educate yourself when it comes to basic towing safety, you don't need to be towing anything. You're putting my family in danger because of your ignorance. I'm sorry for the rant but this stuff really gets me angry.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RAM 3500 4X2 REG CAB TRADESMAN 8.0' BOX

GVWR PLD
6.7L I6 CUMMINS HO TURBO DIESEL ENG 6 SPD AUTO AISIN NEW HD TRANSMISSION DRW 3.73 /14000 /6570
FR/RR GR COMBINED TRLR
4320.13 3108.23 5500 9750 41600 33700

6.7L I6 CUMMINS HO TURBO DIESEL ENG 6 SPD AUTO AISIN NEW HD TRANSMISSION DRW 4.10/ 14000 /6570

4320.13 3108.23 5500 9750 43000 35100

He was overloaded any way you look at it. not even close to what he said the weight rating was.

"They said it should handle the load no problem". Gotta love those salesmen

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the article…

“It's impossible to know the exact rating of Pavel's truck…”

… unless one were to look at a sticker on the door jamb conveying exactly this information…

I do suspect they were over weight, but the bigger issue is how they were loaded. Those front anchor points. These front anchor straps were stronger than the frame!!

Loudram

Reaction score
You should read the comments at the end of the story. Some people are suggesting that they should put stickers on the vehicles showing the exact payload of the vehicle as optioned. Comments like this and watching YouTube channels like "Just Rolled In" really make me wonder and it scares me a bit as well.

My comments at the end of the story are under "Todd".

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The title of the thread is a bit misleading, and people so very badly want to make this an “over payload” argument, but some basic physics solves this equation, and can happen even if under payload.
Compound the below picture driving over some bumps, and it’s really no surprise:
D4B2116A-6E5D-4105-9356-B03EDC3BD8C1.jpeg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The title of the thread is a bit misleading, and people so very badly want to make this an “over payload” argument, but some basic physics solves this equation, and can happen even if under payload.
Compound the below picture driving over some bumps, and it’s really no surprise:
View attachment 147423
I titled the thread the way I did because of the owner. He says the truck should have x amount of payload. The person writing the article says there is no way to know the payload.

All the information is right on the DOOR JAMB.

jkm312

Reaction score
View attachment 147423
Where are the weld points on the frame?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 147423

I know the other one that's been circulating with the custom camper brackets welded on was a big issue (I should find that and post it), but this one appeared to have bolt on torqlift bars?

(not that it matters all that much as he was so overloaded and leveraged.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From the article…

“It's impossible to know the exact rating of Pavel's truck…”

… unless one were to look at a sticker on the door jamb conveying exactly this information…

I do suspect they were over weight, but the bigger issue is how they were loaded. Those front anchor points. These front anchor straps were stronger than the frame!!
Pretty sure the writer of the article meant it was impossible for him to know, or anyone reading the article for that matter. The owner has no excuse not to know.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 147423
Being over payload exponentially exaggerates what you are showing in the picture. Making it most definitely about payload in the case of the Ramnin article.

gofishn

Reaction score
Yeah. They did everything wrong. But, this is RAM'S fault.o_O
Considering Society has been telling Everyone it's never their Fault, that Everyone is a Winner & should get a Participation Trophy, it must be Ram's Fault.
They are the emptiome of a large, faceless, Evil Doer, who has taken advantage of the poor Individual.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Found it (on HDRAMS)

(This is a 4th gen, not a 4.5 gen) The 4.5 gen frame was actually part of the platform upgrades.
1672463087575.png

Vertical bracket welded on frame.

1672463108125.png

Really, all they had to do was use the pre-punch holes with nutserts and a bolt on bracket...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread