5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheels locks

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Can someone please direct me to the right wheel locks for our truck

Will any mopar Ram locks work?

Thank you

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can put wheel locks on but they are a joke and waste of money. Very very easy to get off. It’s not like locking your doors to keep the honest people honest, anyone who is looking to jack your wheels, will have the simple tools necessary to take them off. I’m just saying this because I don’t want you to have a false sense of security.

The only people wheel locks are keeping from getting off your wheels are you and maybe the guy rotating your wheels if you’ve misplaced the key :p

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Bump this due to questions about locks. I live in a typical small bedroom community and havent even heard of an issue of any kind in a year. The truck sits out on the driveway all day/night (retired so it doesnt go to work daily). I was thinking I needed to install locks “just cause” however if they are really that inefficient, maybe not. Can others provide input? I just bought the truck this week and am trying to decide.
Thanks

Patsy1099

Reaction score
It’s a cheap enough mod that if it helps you sleep at night than do it. But if you’re retired and the truck spends most of its time in your driveway then I don’t think you need them at all. Plus like I stated above, these locks stop nobody. There aren’t “casual” wheel thieves like there are those who will steal from cars that are left unlocked. The people who have the tools to take off wheels and the means to transport those wheels away, also have the tools to easily and quickly remove these locks. If they want your wheels, the prescence of wheel locks will not act as a deterrent. All of this IMO. That said, if it makes you feel better they are only like $40.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It’s a cheap enough mod that if it helps you sleep at night than do it. But if you’re retired and the truck spends most of its time in your driveway then I don’t think you need them at all. Plus like I stated above, these locks stop nobody. There aren’t “casual” wheel thieves like there are those who will steal from cars that are left unlocked. The people who have the tools to take off wheels and the means to transport those wheels away, also have the tools to easily and quickly remove these locks. If they want your wheels, the prescence of wheel locks will not act as a deterrent. All of this IMO. That said, if it makes you feel better they are only like $40.

Well I do agree that its probably more of a PITA for the service tech than anybody. And since the truck isnt left parked in less than desirable parts, probably will be ok without. Hope those aren't “famous last words”.
Back in the day, boosting hubcaps was common but now nothing has decent “hubcaps”. LOL

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar locks have the spinning sleeves which make them a bit more difficult to remove. Yes you can still break them off but the extra time involved may make thieves move on to the next target rather then mess with them.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
The Mopar locks have the spinning sleeves which make them a bit more difficult to remove. Yes you can still break them off but the extra time involved may make thieves move on to the next target rather then mess with them.

There’s a special tool/sleeve that goes right on the spinning lugs. Literally takes them 10 seconds. The thing about wheels is they aren’t snatch and grab. The guys looking to take them have the tools to get them off fast. The best thing you can do to protect your wheels is not park your vehicle in bad areas, especially at night and not for long periods of time. The worst places are airports, malls and park/ride train parking lots. They are constantly cased and stalked. The thieves have a large choice and time on their side.

DesertLawman

Reaction score
What about locks for dually? I noticed the lug bolts are not recessed on my rear wheels but have a washer on them. Do they make locks of this type

Users who are viewing this thread