5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel size vs towing... ride, stability, longevity, cost, other consids?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of 18” vs 20” vs 22” wheels with respect to a truck being used most days as a commuter, but used on vacations to tow a 7,000 lb travel trailer? I love the look of bigger wheels, but I don’t want to create adverse towing situations for myself.

So... 18” 20” or 22”? What considerations should be thought about?

I figure topics might include:
Ride comfort
Light off road issues (dirt roads, campgrounds)
Stability, sway
Cornering, maneuvering
Snow/ice driving
Longevity (miles)
Tire cost
Other?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I specifically did not get 22" wheels on the new Limited because I do not ever want to have a tire pop on a highway again due to a pothole. I'm looking at you Dallas. Happened in my Benz which granted has less rubber between the road and wheel than the 22" does, but like I said, don't ever want to be there again.
Did a very long test drive of a Limited with the 20" wheels and it handled amazingly. Sold.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 22” will do fine towing. Because a lot of folks go cheap when getting 22” tires, they often have low UTCG and load ratings. This gave 22” wheels a bad wrap on the fishing forum I used to haunt. The issue was after market and smaller SUV, not factory wheels and tires on full size trucks.

The tires and wheels on the factory Rams are fine for the listed towing and weight capacities.

As for ride, I like the 18” and 20”. If 17” were an option, I’d gone with them. That said, the 22” look great and will do fine for your proposed use. If you like the ride without the trailer, you will be happy when towing.

The 17” on my Gen IV lasted 66,000 miles. The new owner replaced them NOT due to wear, but to put 22” wheels on the truck. I’d like to see him get 66,000 miles out of the 22”s he is running :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread