5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel and Tire care

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious what y'all are doing to combat and protect the wheels and adjacent areas from the crazy brake dust from these new gen Rams.

Also, does anyone have experience with using Superclean on the "painted and polished aluminum" wheels as Ram calls mine? I have always used Superclean on my previous wheels without issue and would like to continue.

tuner1129

Reaction score
Curious what y'all are doing to combat and protect the wheels and adjacent areas from the crazy brake dust from these new gen Rams.

Also, does anyone have experience with using Superclean on the "painted and polished aluminum" wheels as Ram calls mine? I have always used Superclean on my previous wheels without issue and would like to continue.
I use super clean on my rams wheels but I have the chrome wheels not the painted but my charger does have the painted wheels been 3 years and hasn't seen any side affect. Just with anything try it in the inner part of the wheel so see if theres any reaction with the chemical.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jtr

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use super clean on my rams wheels but I have the chrome wheels not the painted but my charger does have the painted wheels been 3 years and hasn't seen any side affect. Just with anything try it in the inner part of the wheel so see if theres any reaction with the chemical.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Appreciate it man. I'll try on the inner first like you rec'd.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate it man. I'll try on the inner first like you rec'd.
Used Superclean tonight and it worked out great! Brake disc is huge and it is tough to approach from the sides so I had to go underneath the truck to clean the inner wheel/rims. With the size of the disks and the pain, I went on Amazon and bought this for future cleanings:

WOOLLYWORMIT All-in-One Auto and Car Wheel Detailing Brush with Integrated Lug Nut Cleaner | Flexible Chenille Microfiber with NO Metal Parts Exposed, NO Scratching https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2FQ9D7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oafhDbDDZ7DDA

dsn112

Reaction score
I spray my wheels every month with an SIO2 spray, like Gyeon Wetcoat or Sonax Spray and Seal. It makes cleaning them simple.

Clean19

Reaction score
You can use any non-acid wheel cleaner, and you'll be fine. Just far argument sake, I used an acid based wheel cleaner on my black oem 20's, and it's fine. You'll prolong the cleanliness of your wheels with Sealant, as mentioned above. You'll get even better results with a ceramic coating, and it will allow you to clean them back to the condition that they were when you coated them in the first place, every time ( assuming they're no physical damage )

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can use any non-acid wheel cleaner, and you'll be fine. Just far argument sake, I used an acid based wheel cleaner on my black oem 20's, and it's fine. You'll prolong the cleanliness of your wheels with Sealant, as mentioned above. You'll get even better results with a ceramic coating, and it will allow you to clean them back to the condition that they were when you coated them in the first place, every time ( assuming they're no physical damage )
Thanks for the tips- I am definitely going to seal them. I also bought some wheel brushes that will help me get around the disc to clean them.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up going with:
Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat – Ceramic Coating

I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+1 for having them ceramic coated. The brake dust washes off very easily, and if it ever stays too long, it eats the coating first before the wheel finish. I had the wheels faces and barrels done when I had my truck coated.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score

I had the wheels taken off and a ceramic coating applied across the entire wheels. Not just the faces.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cleaned my wheels pretty good today. Still yet to apply the ceramic wax spray. If anyone has the longhorn OEM aluminum wheels is it normal for them to look rather brushed, instead of a shiny chrome? I think I am looking at the basic OEM wheel all cleaned off but I am wondering now if the dealer or I cleaned them too aggressively. If I had to explain the look, It's a rather dull aluminum finish.

Users who are viewing this thread