5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What The 2019 Ram 1500 Grille Was Originally Going To Look Like:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What The 2019 Ram 1500 Grille Was Originally Going To Look Like:
Design Sketches Show Us What The 2019 Ram 1500 Would Have Looked Like With The Crosshair...

When the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 (DT) made its debut last year people were shocked that not only was the truck bringing more refinement and technology to the growing pickup truck segment, but that it made its debut without the famed “crosshair” grille design. The crosshair grille design, had been feature on the Dodge (errr Ram) trucks since the 1981 model year. However, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and the Ram brand wanted to pushed their way past their former Dodge Truck brand self, into their own thing.

This brought a lot of talk to the fan base of how someone should make an aftermarket grille featuring the crosshair design for the new truck. Photoshop designs started popping up all over the internet. Now that a year has passed, much of the Ram fan base have embraced the new grille design. But eliminating the crosshair grille design was not part of the original design of the Ram (DT).

5thGenRams got our hands on a couple of the original design drawings from the Ram design studio. Now, we get to see what might the 2019 Ram 1500 (DT) would have looked like with that crosshair grille design.

InShot_20180903_212318455-1.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Design Sketch VS Production Vehicle. (5thGenRams).

The truck in the design sketch appears to be equivalent of the production 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie trim level. The first thing we see is that the overall design of the sketch made it into the production. The front bumper design is clearly the same on the production model, however its the bold grille design that stands out. The over front shape is still the same, but the vertical crosshair bar was design to be a lot thicker than the one on the 4th generation Ram 1500 the truck was to replace. The crosshair horizontal bar, stretches across the grille and stops inside the headlamp design. It explains why the premium headlamps found on Laramie Longhorn and Limited models, have the indention of the grille trim pieces into the headlamp design.

For the rest of the article, click the link below...
https://5thgenrams.com/what-the-2019-ram-1500-grille-was-originally-going-to-look-like/

RenoRam

Reaction score
Liked the cross hair grill but have to say I really like what they went with into production. Much cleaner design imo...

Troop2865

Reaction score
I really like the crosshairs grille. The newer design is still more aero looking but still looks tough.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I like both.

The drawing would have gave you a better symbol recognition of the RAM face. When I see the RAM grille in review mirror, I see MAR. The RAM grille seems more versatile to the classy/sleek/business class-to-sporty/bit aggressive--this allows what I think as us to dress it up as our personalities...more flexible. The drawing doesn't have that same characteristic ability to flex/diversify to me.

While I do like the overall semmetry of the production grille, the drawing grille looks more powerful/stronger...sportier at the hood scoop lines. Almost short and stockier than the smoother production grille.

I would have still purchased... either grille.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like both.

The drawing would have gave you a better symbol recognition of the RAM face. When I see the RAM grille in review mirror, I see MAR. The RAM grille seems more versatile to the classy/sleek/business class-to-sporty/bit aggressive--this allows what I think as us to dress it up as our personalities...more flexible. The drawing doesn't have that same characteristic ability to flex/diversify to me.

While I do like the overall semmetry of the production grille, the drawing grille looks more powerful/stronger...sportier at the hood scoop lines. Almost short and stockier than the smoother production grille.

I would have still purchased... either grille.

I'm with you on the backward lettering. Bugs me too. But there are a lot of DROF and TELORVEHC models driving around now too.

Users who are viewing this thread