5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What options do I need to have a good 1500 tow vehicle?

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
Hello, new to forum. I have been trying to search and educate myself about Rams as I may make the switch from GM. I messed up on my GM when I bought it and didn't have all options (3.08 axle) to tow good.... I would like to avoid this if I make the switch but I am getting a little lost...
I want a 19' 5.7 (no etorque) 4x4 crew cab 3.92, and I would like it to have the locking rear axle. The problem is I can't find a good deal on one that ALSO has the integrated trailer brake controller. Is there an area where I can plug in an aftermarket one for plug in and play? If so, does my tow ratings change? Also what do I need to look for to get a hitch, and electrical connections at the rear?
*I will be towing a boat so I don't *think* I NEED the TBC, however I would like the ability to tow trailers if needed..
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

NorthEdition19

Reaction score
Hello, new to forum. I have been trying to search and educate myself about Rams as I may make the switch from GM. I messed up on my GM when I bought it and didn't have all options (3.08 axle) to tow good.... I would like to avoid this if I make the switch but I am getting a little lost...
I want a 19' 5.7 (no etorque) 4x4 crew cab 3.92, and I would like it to have the locking rear axle. The problem is I can't find a good deal on one that ALSO has the integrated trailer brake controller. Is there an area where I can plug in an aftermarket one for plug in and play? If so, does my tow ratings change? Also what do I need to look for to get a hitch, and electrical connections at the rear?
*I will be towing a boat so I don't *think* I NEED the TBC, however I would like the ability to tow trailers if needed..
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
You can add the integrated trailer brake, I think I saw it for around 250 and then the dealer needs to flash the computer for the truck to recognize it. I’m going to do it soon myself

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the truck shopping!

Here's how it breaks down:

A crew cab 4x4 Hemi with the 3.92 will have a GCVWR of 17,000 lbs
A crew cab 4x4 Hemi with the 3.21 will have a GCVWR of 13,900 lbs

The curb weight of the truck is subtracted from one of those numbers to give you your allowable towing capacity. Most crew cabs come in between 5,500 and 5,800 lbs, so their towing capacities would be either 11,250-ish or 8,150-ish, depending on rear end. I'm speaking generally here, as it is your responsibility to choose the correct truck and run the exact numbers with it's actual curb weight.

There are no factory options that increase the towing capacity beyond choosing the rear end. The things that will decrease the towing capacity will be the items that add weight to your truck (air ride, pano roof, leather, heavy tires, etc, etc). By technicality, (per the owners manual) you are required to run trailer brakes, and therefore a TBC, anytime you are towing over 2,000 lbs, and it's "recommended" anytime you're towing over 1,000 lbs.

You can always add the factory brake controller in after you buy the truck, and my suggestion would be to find the truck you want and make the dealer add if for you as part of the deal. Or, if necessary, you can install an aftermarket controller too.

All crew cab Hemi models come with the class IV hitch rated for the trucks maximum towing capacity. So you don't need to worry there. They are wired from the factory with a 7 blade RV style receptacle and a 4 pin receptacle, in the rear bumper. If you do not see a trailer hitch and plug at the back of the truck, you're looking at the wrong truck.

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not choose a Ram 1500 with the tow package option. The package will give you the brake controller and tow mirrors but you will lose the 360 degree camera that is part of the standard mirrors. The brake controller is available as a stand alone option.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not choose a Ram 1500 with the tow package option. The package will give you the brake controller and tow mirrors but you will lose the 360 degree camera that is part of the standard mirrors. The brake controller is available as a stand alone option.

Yes, if power folding mirrors on a Big Horn, or power folding with the 360 camera's on a higher trim truck with the advance safety package, are important to you, this is great advice. The trailer tow group package adds the trailer tow mirrors, and the factory TBC, and cancels out the 360 camera and power folding mirrors on trucks that are otherwise equipped with them.

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
Man, this is good info... I wish it were easier to figure all this out otherwise. Thanks for the input so far!
-Is there a connection point under the dash to plug in an aftermarket brake controller?
*I found that there is

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Long wheel base crew cab 6’ -1/2 bed
3.93 as you have pointed out

Does a 360’ camera really help when you’re towing? No
But the other cameras that make up the package certainly do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are looking at a tradesman or bighorn/lonestar. You do need to make sure it has the class IV hitch. They come standard with class III which is just the bumper.

Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, and limited the class IV is standard.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking at a tradesman or bighorn/lonestar. You do need to make sure it has the class IV hitch. They come standard with class III which is just the bumper.

Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, and limited the class IV is standard.

I think that's only because those lower trims don't come standard with a Hemi. Any Hemi truck should have a class IV, unless I'm missing something.

mjamesgt

Reaction score
There are no factory options that increase the towing capacity beyond choosing the rear end. The things that will decrease the towing capacity will be the items that add weight to your truck (air ride, pano roof, leather, heavy tires, etc, etc). By technicality, (per the owners manual) you are required to run trailer brakes, and therefore a TBC, anytime you are towing over 2,000 lbs, and it's "recommended" anytime you're towing over 1,000 lbs.

The TBC is ONLY for electronic braking systems. Most boats have hydraulic systems. Just because he is over 2k lbs doesn't necessarily mean he needs a TBC.

OP, just get an aftermarket one if the need arises you are towing something with electric brakes.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The TBC is ONLY for electronic braking systems. Most boats have hydraulic systems. Just because he is over 2k lbs doesn't necessarily mean he needs a TBC.

OP, just get an aftermarket one if the need arises you are towing something with electric brakes.

Well, seeing how we're digging into more details here, if the boat has hydraulic surge brakes, then yes. If they are electric over hydraulic, then he still needs the TBC...

However, no mention on what type of brakes the boat trailer has. I'll be honest, I haven't towed a boat large enough to require brakes on the trailer (per the boat trailer mfg, not the truck's), but I also haven't seen a boat trailer with surge brakes either, as a big issue with surge brake trailers is the lack of braking force in reverse, which I imagine would be bad on a slippery boat ramp with 7k on the hitch. Who knows, maybe I just need to go boating more often! lol.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's only because those lower trims don't come standard with a Hemi. Any Hemi truck should have a class IV, unless I'm missing something.
Nope, even a HEMI tradesman or bighorn/lonestar do not come standard with a Class IV...
Here is proof.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, even a HEMI tradesman or bighorn/lonestar do not come standard with a Class IV...
Here is proof.

You are correct, I thought the thread(s) you mentioned were regarding Canadian trucks only. The only place I could find it as optional on the US Ramtrucks website was in the build and price sales code info.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct, I thought the thread(s) you mentioned were regarding Canadian trucks only. The only place I could find it as optional on the US Ramtrucks website was in the build and price sales code info.

View attachment 31617
Sorry, I keep forgetting that everyone gets something a wee bit different depending g on their borders.

I didn't notice anything specific to Canada or US, so like an *** I assumed US lol

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I keep forgetting that everyone gets something a wee bit different depending g on their borders.

I didn't notice anything specific to Canada or US, so like an *** I assumed US lol

Canada's site clearly lists it as an option. The US site doesn't list it anywhere in the specs, trim compare, towing guide, nothing. Only found it in build and price. I was assuming it was standard because it wasn't defined as an option, which is kind of how things normally work. There's definitely a lack of specific technical information on these trucks. And what is available isn't always super easy to find.

Burzum

Reaction score
Blind spot monitoring can detect your trailer length and extends the monitoring to cover the length of your trailer. That might be a nice to have safety option. Air suspension will also auto level the trailer though mine doesn't squat too much pulling a 28 foot camper without air ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online