5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Options are a rip-off...

john l.

Reaction score
Just traded my '16 F150 on a 2019 LL.

Having worked at a dealership/ common knowledge: The dealer is more willing to deal on a vehicle that is on his lot.

That said the internet makes it easy (easier) to get a machine to your specs, or close.

I am not super picky, but here was my criteria:

Crew cab top line Laramie Longhorn Silver, Blue or Red
New Saddle interior
4X4 -MN winters
5.7 with or w/o hybrid
Level 1 Equipment grp 12" screen, 13 speaker HK stereo etc...
Advanced safety grp adaptive cruise, collision warning etc...
Air suspension

The model that I bought had all of that plus:

Preferred package 27k (skid plates) $295
bed utility grp $495
panoramic sunroof $1295
22" mack daddy rims $1695
Trailer brake control $295

Don't need skid plates $295. Two rails w/ 4 tiedowns in the bed- useful but a RIP off at $495- should be standard. Sunroof- rarely use probably would skip. Trailer brake, never needed it, would have skipped $295. There you go $4075 in chit that I wouldn't order. One could argue that those items esp the sunroof and trailer brake and rims are visible and useful and add value to the truck. Still $4k is a chunk of change.

JML

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the bed utility group is a huge rip off. On RamBox models it appears that you get the bed divider with RamBox contrary to everything they printed so you're paying $495 for the rails and cleats.

knightro84

Reaction score
I generally think most options are a "to each their own" kind of thing - but yes, BUG on the Longhorn and Limited is pretty much a ripoff for anyone. I'd say the skid plates, trailer brake, pano roof, and 22" wheels would be a personal preference kind of thing. I wonder if a standard sized sunroof was available for say, $895, what the take rate on that would be compared to the pano roof at $1,495.

john l.

Reaction score
No towing, no eTorque. That'll save you some coin.
Well the etorque is SUPPOSE to save 2-3mpg, smooth out shifts and give that jucy extra 120 fl lbs. I will know soon about the mileage savings...

Adds weight an complexity. But it's kind of cool too. If gas hits $4 it might pay for it's self.

steveved

Reaction score
Biggest ripoffs? How about the running board/steps? My dealer said it was $825! I got a set from Amazon for $220. And they are Westin.

They also wanted $725 for the Ram tonneau cover. I got one from Summit Racing for $350.

That is $1000 savings right there.

john l.

Reaction score
Biggest ripoffs? How about the running board/steps? My dealer said it was $825! I got a set from Amazon for $220. And they are Westin.

They also wanted $725 for the Ram tonneau cover. I got one from Summit Racing for $350.

That is $1000 savings right there.
Yea, Get you truck out of the stealership before they charge you for something else!

alow

Reaction score
Buy what you want and realize you can get some stuff aftermarket for a savings. I went pano roof and do not regret it one bit. I've saved a huge bill once while off roading because my skid plates took a huge hit instead of something expensive underneath.

I did skip the bed group and just got my truck lineXd which was all I'd be excited about on a bed group. The 12 " screen isn't something I was interested in but some people rave over it. It all depends on where you see the value.

warvet

Reaction score
Order it like I did and still get it between friends and family pricing and employee pricing (without even a fight) and then get your usual discounts that you qualify for like USAA, etc.

I've sent two ppl to buy Rams off the lot here ......they got good deals, but they weren't better than what I got by ordering mine. I even took one guy to pick his up from the same salesman I ordered mine from. I truly don't 'buy' the whole......better deals with vehicles on the lot. Having said that ......I respect your experience in the industry and I'm sure you are speaking from first hand knowledge about better deals with vehicle on the lot. I know there are times when this is definitely true.....getting rid of inventory

But for me.........I order them and get the same exact deals. I think it comes down to the customer and how they approach things.

Oh.......I don't have anything I feel is a rip off.......from the 22s to the pano roof. I guess it depends on what we all want. I don' t care for that 'self parking' thing ......but to some, they may like it. But I wouldn't call it a rip off.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just traded my '16 F150 on a 2019 LL.

Having worked at a dealership/ common knowledge: The dealer is more willing to deal on a vehicle that is on his lot.

That said the internet makes it easy (easier) to get a machine to your specs, or close.

I am not super picky, but here was my criteria:

Crew cab top line Laramie Longhorn Silver, Blue or Red
New Saddle interior
4X4 -MN winters
5.7 with or w/o hybrid
Level 1 Equipment grp 12" screen, 13 speaker HK stereo etc...
Advanced safety grp adaptive cruise, collision warning etc...
Air suspension

The model that I bought had all of that plus:

Preferred package 27k (skid plates) $295
bed utility grp $495
panoramic sunroof $1295
22" mack daddy rims $1695
Trailer brake control $295

Don't need skid plates $295. Two rails w/ 4 tiedowns in the bed- useful but a RIP off at $495- should be standard. Sunroof- rarely use probably would skip. Trailer brake, never needed it, would have skipped $295. There you go $4075 in chit that I wouldn't order. One could argue that those items esp the sunroof and trailer brake and rims are visible and useful and add value to the truck. Still $4k is a chunk of change.

JML
Congratulations on the new truck. For me, the Trailer Brake Control was a good deal, as it would have cost that much to have one installed, and the factory unit is nicely integrated in to the dash. I'm with you, the sunroof, 22" wheels and skid plates were not needed. However, you got a good deal, and did not have to wait 100 days like I did. Enjoy the truck!

alow

Reaction score
The wait does suck but I loved ordering and will likely order again if I don't get what I want on the lot. I got a crazy good deal to boot so I'll back up the ordering has good deals too.

Bdhays63

Reaction score
The tow mirrors are a rip off to me. The option deleted my power heated electric folding mirrors for a basic set of tow mirrors that don’t have electric fold or heat. I didn’t order mine so didn’t really have a choice.

superbird77

Reaction score
I vote The Bed Utility Group to be a bit of a bait and switch. I paid the $495 and just got the tie down rails. The limited already came with the LED lights. I was thinking it also came with the divider and bed step initially.

john l.

Reaction score
The tow mirrors are a rip off to me. The option deleted my power heated electric folding mirrors for a basic set of tow mirrors that don’t have electric fold or heat. I didn’t order mine so didn’t really have a choice.
Yea, it's tough when you by off of the lot, like me. You get stuck with inflated options.

Also, I think you lose 360 camera (if equipt) w/ those mirrors.

cjfioren

Reaction score
Wheelhouse liners. Dont even have on a 50+ thousand dollar truck. Stupid $120 option.

john l.

Reaction score
Wheelhouse liners. Dont even have on a 50+ thousand dollar truck. Stupid $120 option.
Yea, next thing you know... fenders $400, radiator $350, water pump $200, door sills $300 and weather stripping $250.

Deshatt

Reaction score

I don't think trailer tow automatically removes heated mirrors. I have tow mirrors and according to my build sheet I have heated mirrors (NHJP Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element ). According to the manual, they're activated with the rear defrost. Page 64:
Heated Mirrors — If Equipped
These mirrors are heated to melt frost or ice. This
feature will be activated whenever you turn on the
rear window defroster (if equipped).

Bdhays63

Reaction score
I don't think trailer tow automatically removes heated mirrors. I have tow mirrors and according to my build sheet I have heated mirrors (NHJP Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element ). According to the manual, they're activated with the rear defrost. Page 64:
Heated Mirrors — If Equipped
These mirrors are heated to melt frost or ice. This
feature will be activated whenever you turn on the
rear window defroster (if equipped).

I’ve tried the rear defrost thinking the same as what you said. But my mirrors stayed fogged up every time for the entire ride home. To me mirror Heat is a pretty basic option considering my tow mirrors have other options like the light for the blind spot sensor and the puddle light when you open the door. Maybe it has heat but doesn’t work ? Guess I’ll be asking when I get it in for the first oil change.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I vote The Bed Utility Group to be a bit of a bait and switch. I paid the $495 and just got the tie down rails. The limited already came with the LED lights. I was thinking it also came with the divider and bed step initially.
Thanks for letting us know that the bed lights are included with the Limited. It wasn't clear looking at the brochure. I was going to order the Bed Utility Group just for the LED lights. The tie down rails can be purchased later for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread