5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your preferred connection to your Unconnect 8.4 for the best stock audio quality?

What is your preferred connection to your Unconnect 8.4 for the best stock audio quality?

• Bluetooth

• USB

• 3.5 mm Aux

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 2020 Ram 1500 with low miles. Love the truck but the stock stereo leaves a lot to be desired in terms of tone and volume. I have read up on several options to address by altering the system and wanted to know what the forum found was the best solution if no alterations are made to the stock system.

The most common issues I have read up on and also experienced are as follows:

- Loud feedback/cycle hum when aux is plugged in with no device.
-Volume max out at 28 when using USB/Carplay.
-Bluetooth cutting in/out with weird artifacts such as clicks/pops.
-Bluetooth delay from phone to system.
-Volume swells when volume is turned up past 25. (Sounds like lack of power)
-Louder Radio signal then any other media.

There may be more and others may not experience the same.

How I get the best out of the system:
Right now Bluetooth, iPhone max volume then one click down to lower. EQ at Bass -1, Mids +2 and Treble +3. Fader two clicks to the front. More modern/bass heavy music does well. Older recordings not so much.

My question is, what is the most common connection used by the forum? Curious to see what everyone thinks and if you have any tips/tricks please share.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
USB stick. I upgraded the door speakers with Rockford Fosgate P1492s (or 1692s i forget which) and enjoy the radio much more. Haven't upgraded the dash speakers though I have them in my closet

Basic 6 speaker system

Shives

Reaction score
Basic 6 speaker. Added the factory subwoofer with a Kicker amp. Bluetooth seems to be best. When I use USB the audio won’t go over 27 and distorts. Very shameful system from Ram

Last edited:

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Seems everyone on the web has this issue with their 5th Gen stereo. A good system if you are a standard driver, but for audiophiles may be a miss. I have found the Bluetooth is good, but not sure the truck likes Spotify signal much. USB is definitely lower volume (Only goes to 20) and does cause fluctuation/warble due to the head unit not being able to produce enough power to the speakers or the speakers not being able to handle the load. 3.5mm is louder but distorts and also requires a shielded cable. Still, does cause a 60 cycle hum when phone is disconnected which could scare you if you are not ready for it. I think down the line I may upgrade the speakers and see where that goes. I like the head unit features and prefer to keep it. I will say the system I have is definitely suited for Hip/Hop, R&B and more bass heavy music. Classic stuff like 60-70-80's rock it sounds ok. Will keep everyone posted!

Tgryphon

Reaction score
The audio is definitely my next project...the stock base model stereo in my 2010 Toyota Prius is better than this one.

Dadeoo

Reaction score
I have 2500 long playing 331/3 RPM albums that I have been digitizing for 20 years (as I play them). I've learned one thing: digital sound quality varies a huge amount and is highly dependent on digital format, bit rate, and how much compression was used. I still use the MP3 format -- at the highest bit rate. Why? because it's compatible with any player, even though it is a "lossy" format. And it sound great on the Ram's radio.

Users who are viewing this thread