5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is This????

L a r r y

Reaction score
OK, so I am following the instructions from a thread on here for installing a trailer brake controller. When I pull off the panel below the dash, I find this box zipped tied up and plugged into the OBD II connector. What is this thing?

Attachments

• 20201205_133340.jpg
    20201205_133340.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 20201205_133344.jpg
    20201205_133344.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 20201205_133403.jpg
    20201205_133403.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 413

L a r r y

Reaction score
Some dealerships install those incase you default on your loan. Easy for the repo man to find the truck. I think it BS and a total invasion of privacy.

Amazing93 and Trippi

I did purchase the truck used, so I don't know if it was installed by the dealer, or someone else. If they want to find it, it'll be attached to a stray cat, with a 9v battery for power, by the landfill site if they want to look for it

so it's a dealer install. not manufacture? Good you found and disconnected it :cool:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Save the female OBD connector. You can solder a couple wires to it that clip to a 12V battery and use it as a Keep-alive Memory device. That lets you replace the battery without losing any memory or presets. Or if you leave it sit for long periods, a small solar charger on the dash could feed it to keep the battery charged. Use pins 4 &16. 1607212103834.png

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Save the female OBD connector. You can solder a couple wires to it that clip to a 12V battery and use it as a Keep-alive Memory device. That lets you replace the battery without losing any memory or presets. Or if you leave it sit for long periods, a small solar charger on the dash could feed it to keep the battery charged. Use pins 4 &16. View attachment 75826
This will not do what you are explaining on any FCA vehicle. You would literally be hooking power and ground up to nothing. The power and ground are to power devices that get plugged into the OBD port.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
This will not do what you are explaining on any FCA vehicle. You would literally be hooking power and ground up to nothing. The power and ground are to power devices that get plugged into the OBD port.
No, you'd be hooking power and ground to power and ground on the vehicle. Just cut the connector off and throw the rest away.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, you'd be hooking power and ground to power and ground on the vehicle. Just cut the connector off and throw the rest away.
Edit * I see what you’re saying now. I think you meant keep the male connector, since the OBD port is already female.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reading through the owner manual, isnt that the sirius guardian module?
No, there is no separate Sirius guardian module. It is internal to the radio module. The device pictured is definitely a tracker, and it is absolutely aftermarket. You can tell just by the way the OBD pass through harness is built.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I am following the instructions from a thread on here for installing a trailer brake controller. When I pull off the panel below the dash, I find this box zipped tied up and plugged into the OBD II connector. What is this thing?
Actually, I can’t believe I didn’t realize this before, as I’ve installed a few of them, and I have one sitting on my bench.
Aa9XEKi.jpg

It’s the Car Link ASCL6. It’s an add-on module to most plug n play remote start systems. It makes the remote start system capable of starting from a phone app from anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread