5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What hitches are everyone using?

Sommersb

Reaction score
Just purchased my 19 ram and unfortunately does not have a hitch but has tow package. I see only 3 or 4 that are listed. Factory, curt, drawtight. Just curious if anyone else has had to install one and whice.

deanfx

Reaction score
I don't understand having the tow package and no receiver. Does your truck have a trailer brake controller installed OEM?

mopar mark

Reaction score
Think he is talking about the ball mount, i use a b&w adjustable one

Stickerhead

Reaction score
I have a Weigh Safe. Had it on my 3/4 ton before I went to the Limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sommersb

Reaction score
Truck has trailer light wiring and tow haul mode but no actual reciever hitch just bumper. But I have a 26 foot camper and use a wdh so need an actual hitch.

airgas1998

Reaction score
^^^^^^ I just cant comprehend this...you have tow pkg but it didn't come with the main component being the receiver hitch??? makes no sense.. I wouldn't think it could even come this way from the factory??? you knew it lacked this option prior to buying?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck has trailer light wiring and tow haul mode but no actual reciever hitch just bumper. But I have a 26 foot camper and use a wdh so need an actual hitch.
I would love to see a picture of this. Incredible

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He has a tradesman or bighorn. They come factory with a class 3 hitch you have to order the class 4.

The class 3 is just the bumper.

He is assuming he has the tow package because the plug is there. All the trucks have the plug.

Understand now.

He has the bumper class 3 hitch. He needs to order and install a class 4 hitch

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

U

User_9089

I had a similar experience when I bought my truck. I only put a motorcycle carrier on the back on mine for my dirt bike so I figured the class III would be fine. I figured it would still have a receiver and gave it not much thought.... Doh!

Anyways, I ordered the OEM Class IV and installed it myself. It was dead simple, disconnect the rear bumper wiring harness, a handful of bolts and the bumper comes off, another handful and the Class III hitch comes off. Reverse order with the Class IV and new bolts that come with the Class IV and its all done.

https://moparonlineparts.com/1500-hitch-receiver-p-8544.html

Trailer brake controller will be more of a job if you need that.

The thing I don't understand is whey FCA even bothers with having both the Class III and Class IV options. The hitches are so close to identical that you would think it would be cheaper for them to just manufacture/stock/build only the Class IV, and only one corresponding bumper/cover. Whatever, they make their decisions for whatever reasons they have. :rolleyes:

Sommersb

Reaction score
I have brake control already. And all the ones in my area with an actual hitch were 10g more. So for 2 to 300 to buy a hitch was not a big deal. I just figured other people had similar trucks.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I had a similar experience when I bought my truck. I only put a motorcycle carrier on the back on mine for my dirt bike so I figured the class III would be fine. I figured it would still have a receiver and gave it not much thought.... Doh!

Anyways, I ordered the OEM Class IV and installed it myself. It was dead simple, disconnect the rear bumper wiring harness, a handful of bolts and the bumper comes off, another handful and the Class III hitch comes off. Reverse order with the Class IV and new bolts that come with the Class IV and its all done.

https://moparonlineparts.com/1500-hitch-receiver-p-8544.html

Trailer brake controller will be more of a job if you need that.

The thing I don't understand is whey FCA even bothers with having both the Class III and Class IV options. The hitches are so close to identical that you would think it would be cheaper for them to just manufacture/stock/build only the Class IV, and only one corresponding bumper/cover. Whatever, they make their decisions for whatever reasons they have. :rolleyes:

Ram probably saves quit as bit of money on Class III, they only mount a ball to the bumper. The Classs IV is a frame mount. Not everyone pulls a heavy trailer and you need the right engine option to have the power required to pull full rated load on a Class IV. I'm pretty sure most of the other manufacturers do the same thing.

U

User_9089

Ram probably saves quit as bit of money on Class III, they only mount a ball to the bumper. The Class IV is a frame mount. Not everyone pulls a heavy trailer and you need the right engine option to have the power required to pull full rated load on a Class IV. I'm pretty sure most of the other manufacturers do the same thing.
I get that, but when I bought the Class IV and had the III and IV side by side on my garage floor, visually they look identical except for the receiver. The Class III has a plate where a ball would mount instead. Everything else looks the same, no additional reinforcement or mounting points, same diameter tubing. Maybe it is a cheaper lower grade steel or something not visually obvious.

Even at that rate, a Class III is available (in general) with a 2" receiver, and that would be infinitely more useful than a ball in a bumper. Maybe it is just a protection to make sure people don't mistake their Class III for a Class IV on their truck.
1570627105410.png

In the end it really doesn't matter, they do what they do and us consumers make our decisions. In my case, even if I'd paid more attention like I should have, I might have done the same thing anyways because I've no need for a brake controller, and buying the hitch and installing it myself was still cheaper than the Class IV ordering option that I think also came with the brake controller.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Just purchased my 19 ram and unfortunately does not have a hitch but has tow package. I see only 3 or 4 that are listed. Factory, curt, drawtight. Just curious if anyone else has had to install one and whice.
Equalizer 10K WD (see my towing post). Only WD experience was with a eazlift and now the equilizer. Would highly recommend the equalizer.

Last edited:

raven_DT

Reaction score
Equalizer 10K WD (see my towing post). Only WD experience was with a eazlift and now the equilizer. Would highly recommend the equalizer.
...once you install a class iv reciever. Helps to read the entire thread before posting.

TwinSac

Reaction score
I have a Husky Centerline TS and love it. Smooth ride. Similar to Equilizer 4pt system.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread