5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do I do to remove this damn govener?

lawlavigne

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered in other threads but I decided to try and top out and it shut down at 105 mph and that was in 5th gear. Not a single mph more if I manually went to 6-8. If there a simple programming device to unlock this?

lawlavigne

Reaction score
So basically get the Diablo pcm and tune it? Has anyone done this and got some top speed results?

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Sucks you have to spend so much money to get any potential your hemi has. I was thinking it would atleast get to 120 before shutting off. Not being able to use 3 gears topping out is stupid.

josh

Reaction score
The tune really wakes it up though. If your looking for a tuner look at Moe’s performance. They sell the diablo tuners and you can buy a Hemifever custom tune as well. I bought the tuner from there with the custom engine and transmission tune for 200$ extra. I think it’s definitely worth it. If you don’t buy from Moe’s then you should go to Hemifever’s website and get a custom tune as well or get one from jay greene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lawlavigne

Reaction score
The tune really wakes it up though. If your looking for a tuner look at Moe’s performance. They sell the diablo tuners and you can buy a Hemifever custom tune as well. I bought the tuner from there with the custom engine and transmission tune for 200$ extra. I think it’s definitely worth it. If you don’t buy from Moe’s then you should go to Hemifever’s website and get a custom tune as well or get one from jay greene.

I'm definitely going to look into that. About how much all that run you?

lawlavigne

Reaction score
It was 519$ for the just the tuner and pcm swap And an additional 200 for the custom engine and trans tune

That's much cheaper than I was expecting. Is there a way to save factory settings for warranty issues and dealer services?

josh

Reaction score
Yes it saves the factory tune and you can flash the factory backup back onto the truck

Caballonegro

Reaction score
What kind of performance gains have you gotten so far?
I don't have any actual numbers but the ram feels like it gained so much torque. I love it's Characteristics and has been my favorite mod so far. With the i3, you can change the throttle response.

josh

Reaction score
I turned the throttle response all the way up on the tune and I have a pedal commander and I leave it turned up all the way

lawlavigne

Reaction score
That was going to be my next question bc I also have the pedal commander. That's gotta be outrageous to have both throttle response and PC topped out bc it's hard to drive normal with the PC at sport+ +4 as is right now lol

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Yes it saves the factory tune and you can flash the factory backup back onto the truck

Keep in mind - the dealer/FCA can see if he PCM was unlocked - and how many times it's been flashed.

WAY BETTER OFF getting a new unlocked PCM and swapping it in (for warranty purposes). Don't give FCA any reason to deny a claim (and an unlocked PCM is a valid reason). And I have an FCA 7yr/unlimited extended - so I'm going for the swap if I do anything PCM related.

I'm waiting to save some spare $$ for the Mopar CAI/CAT Back & PCM - Diablo tells me with their "canned tune" for this config, it's good for about 60HP/TQ. Personally, I'd spend the $$ just to get the governor removed. It's irritating beyond belief.

I posted a similar question a few months ago about the limiter - and got a lecture from someone about "driving so fast on public roads". MYOFB.

YMMV...

Rick

lawlavigne

Reaction score
That
Keep in mind - the dealer/FCA can see if he PCM was unlocked - and how many times it's been flashed.

WAY BETTER OFF getting a new unlocked PCM and swapping it in (for warranty purposes). Don't give FCA any reason to deny a claim (and an unlocked PCM is a valid reason). And I have an FCA 7yr/unlimited extended - so I'm going for the swap if I do anything PCM related.

I'm waiting to save some spare $$ for the Mopar CAI/CAT Back & PCM - Diablo tells me with their "canned tune" for this config, it's good for about 60HP/TQ. Personally, I'd spend the $$ just to get the governor removed. It's irritating beyond belief.

I posted a similar question a few months ago about the limiter - and got a lecture from someone about "driving so fast on public roads". MYOFB.

YMMV...

Rick
May be a better route for me bc I'd rather be clean of any means that I made something fail by a mod and get screwed on any warranty. A few hundred more for an extra PCM that's unlocked would be worth it in that case. But you're right it's frustrating paying all this money to get 80% if even that at what they are advertising. And I've also read up on that Mopar CAI and it's crazy more expensive than other reputable CAI's. Is there a specific reason for you getting that exact one?

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Wouldn't the PCM also track mileage, etc which would be visible to FCA?

Not new to tuning, but not super experienced either. I had a 17 Camaro SS prior to the ram with a supercharger, catless longtubes, CAI and upgraded cooling. Put 605HP to the rear wheels, but I traded it in before anything broke and I was using the stock PCM/FPCM/TCM for tuning with HP Tuners.

Are there any piggyback tuners that are capable of removing governor and acquiring more HP/TQ on the Ram?

I also have a 5 or 6 year 100k warranty so I really don't want to chance anything. Would be nice to pull more power though now that I have 285/55R22 E-rated tires on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread