5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What differential is standard on the Ram 1500

carwash2

Reaction score
I was looking at the window sticker on a Laramie and I didn't see any upgrade on the differential. So what is it come with?

carwash2

Reaction score
I'm talking about the differential, like you can upgrade to an Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle or an E-Locker rear axle. So if you don't upgrade what are you getting?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm talking about the differential, like you can upgrade to an Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle or an E-Locker rear axle. So if you don't upgrade what are you getting?
An open differential is standard. It WOULD state anti spin or eLocker if it was equiped

Scarittagle

Reaction score
An open differential is standard. It WOULD state anti spin or eLocker if it was equiped
is it possible to add anti-spin aftermarket? Assume its mechanical LSD.

I wouldn't think about the e-Locker as it is electrically controlled and might requires wiring.

fireron

Reaction score
My choice for an add on limited slip would be the Eaton True Track instead of a factory anti-spin. The TT is helical gear driven and works great. It will last the life of the truck...and more. No clutches to wear out.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If this is predominantly a pavement truck, I tend to believe the best setup is the 4auto transfer case with OPEN differentials. The four wheel TCS and BLD will keep you firmly planted and straight and should be enough to get you through anything you're brave enough to drive into.

Limited slip diffs tend to introduce lateral slippage under the right conditions. The only two times I had a rear end come around on me were with LSD diffs... the same clutched type used in Rams. I don't think an open diff would have done this.

Users who are viewing this thread