5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What’s your oil consumption rate?

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was planning on an oil change at the first 2500 miles but life throws you curves.

So here I am at 5k and the little Diesel is on the bottom end of the hash marks on the dipstick.

I’m assuming that it’s one quart down but I’m going to have the oil changed this week so no reason to add anymore.

So what is your normal oil consumption with mixed driving city / highway?

tom318

Reaction score
I was planning on an oil change at the first 2500 miles but life throws you curves.

So here I am at 5k and the little Diesel is on the bottom end of the hash marks on the dipstick.

I’m assuming that it’s one quart down but I’m going to have the oil changed this week so no reason to add anymore.

So what is your normal oil consumption with mixed driving city / highway?
I'm approaching 60k and I've never topped it off. I cant say I've regularly checked on a schedule but between taking delivery and now, id esitmate 15-20 random oil checks and always towards to top half from memory. Never anything that concerned. So far so good here.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
These engines seem to burn a decent amount of oil. I think it will get better over time.
I burned a quart in my first 2k miles on my 5.7.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never once topped up the oil on my 2020 in 75000km. I make it a habit to check oil levels before every long trip (600miles or 1000km) or more. Lots of towing a heavy enclosed trailer in those miles aswell.

It does seem normal to burn a bit of oil during the first or second oil change while the engine is breaking in. I would continue to monitor and see how it does.

I just did the first oil change on my 2022 with 4000km, oil was about half way from low to full. Normally I would have checked the oil level when I picked up the truck, but didn’t this time as I had just got back from an 18 hour drive.

10000km oci from here on out, fuel filter on every even number oil change and tire rotation on every odd.

TSL

Reaction score
Mine was half way along the hash marks at 1400 miles.
I posted a picture and a question over on the ram1500diesel site ( Normal oil levels on a new engine ? ) and the general consensus over there was "nothing to worry about".
Still planning to change long before hitting 10k, currently at 1700 and about to add a few hundred miles on a long weekend trip. Will probably get it changed soon after getting back. (Unless some of those curve balls come along and I finish up at 5k ! )

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ecodiesel burned about a quart in the first few thousand miles and then stopped. It doesn't burn any at all now with 73,000km on it. Others have reported similar results.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The catch with Diesel engines is they burn oil, but the diesel fuel also dilutes the oil and "refills" the oil level to some extent masking how much good oil is in there. Toss in the craptastic EGR system that fills the oil with soot and long oil changes are not such a great idea.

Change your oil more often, your engine will thank you.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^adding to that, I change at 5kmi max. I’m getting some testing to see soot content and tbn at my next oil change.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday I had my 2020 Rebels 4th oil change and fuel filter at 60,000km, I usually have to add 1 litre of engine oil between oil changes but I did not add some this time even though it was at the bottom of the dipstick because it was going in for the next oil change soon, the previous oil change was at 45,000km in May, my wife and I went for a Newfoundland trip for 6 weeks 10,600km towing a small travel trailer.
20.3 mpg (imperial gallon) or 17 mpg US gallon or 14L/100km, hand calculations.
I designed, fabricated and installed a skirt that fits between the truck and trailer to eliminate the downdraft suction to improve fuel efficiency, it saved me over $600 of fuel.
The picture below shows the airstream skirt between the truck and trailer, we were waiting to get on the 6 hour ferry ride, 177km to the mainland of Nova Scotia, the other picture shows the navigation onto the ferry.

I had the piece of mind inspection done while at the dealer, the bumper to bumper warranty ends at 60,000km, they check all the suspension components, brakes, steering linkage….all good, all it required was new air filter and cabin air filter.

Attachments

• C53F0E9D-C5B0-4B89-ADB1-EA1131666E0F.jpeg
    C53F0E9D-C5B0-4B89-ADB1-EA1131666E0F.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 48604542-6629-4275-A325-22807EAD33BA.jpeg
    48604542-6629-4275-A325-22807EAD33BA.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 35

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine was half way along the hash marks at 1400 miles.
I posted a picture and a question over on the ram1500diesel site ( Normal oil levels on a new engine ? ) and the general consensus over there was "nothing to worry about".
Still planning to change long before hitting 10k, currently at 1700 and about to add a few hundred miles on a long weekend trip. Will probably get it changed soon after getting back. (Unless some of those curve balls come along and I finish up at 5k ! )
You know you can just add extra oil right?
The hash marks = 1 quart of oil, so half way down is .5 quarts down from full.
People will debate till the cows come home, but as long as you keep oil in your engine should be fine. If you check and it's half way down I would recommend adding .5 quarts, no reason to run on reduced amounts of oil if you went to the effort to check it anyways.

jent

Reaction score
@Darksteel165 I would disagree with trying to keep the oil at the top line is the best option. The middle is really as ideal as possible.

Oil levels can go up too, as the oil accepts diesel fuel and soot its volume can go up. If it gets too high it can start to impact the internal of the engine and splash and create foam. Granted this is not likely unless you're doing a lot of idling in the cold, but still knowing that too much oil is not good either I would not try to ride the top line.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Darksteel165 I would disagree with trying to keep the oil at the top line is the best option. The middle is really as ideal as possible.

Oil levels can go up too, as the oil accepts diesel fuel and soot its volume can go up. If it gets too high it can start to impact the internal of the engine and splash and create foam. Granted this is not likely unless you're doing a lot of idling in the cold, but still knowing that too much oil is not good either I would not try to ride the top line.
It would have to go up quite a bit. I've seen trucks overfilled by dealers, like 2-3 quarts over. The beating the oil isn't so bad itself, it's if it gets sucked up higher into the engine. On a diesel, if it goes up to any of the vents, it can get sucked into the intake and then you get a runaway diesel where the engine starts running on the oil itself, and goes way past redline and the extra rpm and heat make more oil get sucked up and it won't stop until the engine grenades, it runs out of oil, or someone shove enough whatever into the intake to cut off the airflow.

I saw a front end loader do this and it ingested several rolls of shop towels, a couple shop coveralls and a good part of a mop before the engine let go.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It would have to go up quite a bit. I've seen trucks overfilled by dealers, like 2-3 quarts over. The beating the oil isn't so bad itself, it's if it gets sucked up higher into the engine. On a diesel, if it goes up to any of the vents, it can get sucked into the intake and then you get a runaway diesel where the engine starts running on the oil itself, and goes way past redline and the extra rpm and heat make more oil get sucked up and it won't stop until the engine grenades, it runs out of oil, or someone shove enough whatever into the intake to cut off the airflow.

I saw a front end loader do this and it ingested several rolls of shop towels, a couple shop coveralls and a good part of a mop before the engine let go.
I remember when I was a kid in my grandad’s garage (he owned an auto repair business), him and my dad were working on a 70’s diesel engine in a large truck. It went into runaway condition, and they tried to choke it with a thick hardback Chilton’s manual. It destroyed the manual. Luckily, it didn’t burn the building down.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid in my grandad’s garage (he owned an auto repair business), him and my dad were working on a 70’s diesel engine in a large truck. It went into runaway condition, and they tried to choke it with a thick hardback Chilton’s manual. It destroyed the manual. Luckily, it didn’t burn the building down.
It's scary how loud and super powerful it is, roaring, smoke billowing. It's like fighting a dragon lol.

A lot of newer diesels have a metal flapper to close the throttle body to try and prevent/stop a runaway now, but I'm not sure how well it would work when it'll inhale anything and everything.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Forgive me, I found this thread under "new posts". I didn't realize this was for diesel engines.
The phenomenon you're explaining doesn't happen on the HEMIs.
Please disregard what I said above ^^

Users who are viewing this thread