5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What’s up everybody

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Truck. I see that you have the Retrax Pro MX, that's what I have on my 2019 Ram Limited with Rambox. I love that bed cover, and your truck looks so good in Granite Crystal.

Currently, my truck is in the dealer for excessive wind noise in the pano sunroof. The dealer did the following list below, but didn't correct the problem. They are currently waiting on new seals to see if that corrects the problem. What has been your experience with excessive wind noise coming from panoramic sunroofs? I know that FCA has been installing them in vehicles for 5 or so years.

1. Adjusted the sunroof
2. added the felt tape or foam tape in accordance with the Star case that applies to excessive wind noise in the panoramic sunroof
3. when the truck was taken apart for the installation of that felt tape or foam tape they noticed that there was missing seam sealer in a joint and corrected that issue.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Currently, my truck is in the dealer for excessive wind noise in the pano sunroof. The dealer did the following list below, but didn't correct the problem. They are currently waiting on new seals to see if that corrects the problem. What has been your experience with excessive wind noise coming from panoramic sunroofs? I know that FCA has been installing them in vehicles for 5 or so years.

Sorry you’re having problems with the pano roof. We have been using them for a while, but don’t see many wind noise issues so not a lot of experience with common fixes.

If I were diagnosing it, I would start with searching for any related bulletins or STAR cases. Then a test drive to verify the concern and see if your concern matches what is outlined in them. Before doing any of the repairs, I would put my eyes on it and go over the basics - check adjustment of the glass, make sure there are no excessive gaps anywhere, adjust as needed. Open the glass and make sure there are no obstructions that could keep the glass from shutting all the way. Push and pull on glass to check for any movement in the pano assembly in case there are loose frame bolts. Drop headliner and tighten as needed. Then denormalize and recalibrate the pano roof motors.

If everything looks good, then perform any repairs described in the STAR cases.

Then another test drive, but this time bring a roll of painters tape with me in case the noise is still there. Start applying strips of tape to the seams of the glass, the one that quiets it is where the problem is.

If the whole pano roof is sealed off with tape and the noise is still there, then it’s not that. Maybe a loose drip rail or windshield molding making it sound like the sunroof. Again, apply the tape to suspect areas until it’s gone.

Hope you get it resolved quickly so you can go back to enjoying your truck!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome. Great to have someone with your experience.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Sorry you’re having problems with the pano roof. We have been using them for a while, but don’t see many wind noise issues so not a lot of experience with common fixes.

If I were diagnosing it, I would start with searching for any related bulletins or STAR cases. Then a test drive to verify the concern and see if your concern matches what is outlined in them. Before doing any of the repairs, I would put my eyes on it and go over the basics - check adjustment of the glass, make sure there are no excessive gaps anywhere, adjust as needed. Open the glass and make sure there are no obstructions that could keep the glass from shutting all the way. Push and pull on glass to check for any movement in the pano assembly in case there are loose frame bolts. Drop headliner and tighten as needed. Then denormalize and recalibrate the pano roof motors.

If everything looks good, then perform any repairs described in the STAR cases.

Then another test drive, but this time bring a roll of painters tape with me in case the noise is still there. Start applying strips of tape to the seams of the glass, the one that quiets it is where the problem is.

If the whole pano roof is sealed off with tape and the noise is still there, then it’s not that. Maybe a loose drip rail or windshield molding making it sound like the sunroof. Again, apply the tape to suspect areas until it’s gone.

Hope you get it resolved quickly so you can go back to enjoying your truck!

I’m going to try the painters tape thing myself if it’s not fixed when I pick it up, THANKS SO MUCH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Reaction score
Welcome OP, had you owned a 4th gen to compare your new one to ? Also why did service centers give such a hard way about flashing the pcm.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Welcome OP, had you owned a 4th gen to compare your new one to ? Also why did service centers give such a hard way about flashing the pcm.

I haven’t owned a 4th Gen but most of my friends do and I have worked on plenty of them. 5th Gens definitely seem to be more refined.

The only reason you should need a PCM flash update is if there is a problem that the update specifically addresses. Dealers used to add warranty lines to tickets for any software updates that a vehicle had because it was basically free money from FCA. FCA got smart and began flagging software flashes as “essential” (recalls, RRTs) and “non-essential” (customer concerns). FCA will not pay us anymore to update modules just because they are there.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, just got my new DT last month. 4x4 Laramie Sport Appearance Package, Granite Crystal. Absolutely love this truck. Can’t wait to really start modding it out and make it mine.

I’m a Master FCA technician, going on 10 years. I’ll do what I can to help y’all out!

You need to be at my store .. our guys aren't really up on Mods/Aftermarket .. I tried to get them to give me a dedicated bay and assign me to all of them :)

I wish our bays were angled like that! .. try to get a rig on the lift when one is in a stall behind you ... whomever designed ours was not awake fully! :)

Welcome to the forums and nice rig!

Tim N

Grayman5752

Reaction score
You need to be at my store .. our guys aren't really up on Mods/Aftermarket .. I tried to get them to give me a dedicated bay and assign me to all of them :)

I wish our bays were angled like that! .. try to get a rig on the lift when one is in a stall behind you ... whomever designed ours was not awake fully! :)

Welcome to the forums and nice rig!

Tim N

Lol thanks! We have a good shop. The front half was original to the dealership and has the straight stalls. The back half where I work is angled so it’s easier to move around. Heavy duty and alignment racks are in the back shop on the other side of my stall.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’m in North Carolina now and sadly I have yet to see another DT out here. One guy was next to me at the light and told me how how sharp my Tundra was lol. 0C7EFC3B-A47B-4760-BEE6-638459CAC183.jpeg

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, just got my new DT last month. 4x4 Laramie Sport Appearance Package, Granite Crystal. Absolutely love this truck. Can’t wait to really start modding it out and make it mine.

I’m a Master FCA technician, going on 10 years. I’ll do what I can to help y’all out! View attachment 31928 View attachment 31929 View attachment 31930 View attachment 31931

@Grayman5752

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know anything about the poor performing AC a lot of members on this forum have been talking about for over a year now? Any insight you can offer about what's really going on and/ or if FCA will be doing anything about it?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’m a Master FCA technician, going on 10 years. I’ll do what I can to help y’all out! View attachment 31928 View attachment 31929 View attachment 31930 View attachment 31931
Welcome my man! Looking forward to some insight and guidance with respect to our trucks from someone who knows what they are talking about. Nice rig btw.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
@Grayman5752

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know anything about the poor performing AC a lot of members on this forum have been talking about for over a year now? Any insight you can offer about what's really going on and/ or if FCA will be doing anything about it?

Unfortunately I don’t have any solid input on the poor AC performance. We’ve had a surprisingly few amount of DTs actually come in for repairs, maybe only 2 for the AC issue. As far as I know, there is an HVAC module flash that addresses it. But I do know it only applies to specific build dates (no flash for my truck). Based on what I’ve read from you guys on here, it definitely seems like a software or blend door calibration issue. Especially since blocking flow to the heater core seems to drop the vent temp. It is also possible that it is a low refrigerant charge on some vehicles. I have seen plenty of brand new PDIs come in with no cold air because there was no refrigerant charge from the factory.

I know it’s frustrating to have a brand new, expensive truck and everything not work properly. But there are so many issues that just honestly can’t be fixed by the techs in the back because it is a software problem that FCA has to come up with a fix for.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t have any solid input on the poor AC performance. We’ve had a surprisingly few amount of DTs actually come in for repairs, maybe only 2 for the AC issue. As far as I know, there is an HVAC module flash that addresses it. But I do know it only applies to specific build dates (no flash for my truck). Based on what I’ve read from you guys on here, it definitely seems like a software or blend door calibration issue. Especially since blocking flow to the heater core seems to drop the vent temp. It is also possible that it is a low refrigerant charge on some vehicles. I have seen plenty of brand new PDIs come in with no cold air because there was no refrigerant charge from the factory.

I know it’s frustrating to have a brand new, expensive truck and everything not work properly. But there are so many issues that just honestly can’t be fixed by the techs in the back because it is a software problem that FCA has to come up with a fix for.

Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I've been in several times. First time I was told AC performs as expected even though they never actually performed a test. Second time they did the software flash TSB. Third time they said low refrigerant, but didn't know why. Added refrigerant and recharged the system, worked better for a day. Fourth time low refrigerant, but found a leak in the discharge hose. Replaced hose, added refrigerant and recharged the system.

Yesterday, the fifth time they said the refrigerant level was holding and no leaks found. AC temperature on low, fan speed 3 driver vent blowing 48 degrees and passenger 43 degrees. Changed the fan speed to 7 (Max AC), the driver vent temp went up to 55 degrees and passenger to 51 degrees. They said "Difference is the amount of air flow and the length of run for air to travel. Service manager and director verified all information.". Also said those temps are all within specs so AC is working properly.

We're talking about the two vents in the center stack that are 12 inches or less away from each other. Increasing the fan speed makes the temps rise by 7-8 degrees? That contradicts the idea of Max AC (temp low and fan 7) giving you the best cooling. Also, I don't know if you're truck does it, but when I have mine set on Max AC and switch to Auto the fan blows harder than 7 even though there isn't a setting above 7. IMO none of this sounds like the AC is working properly?

Sorry for the long rant, but obviously you can tell I'm frustrated with the whole situation.

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I've been in several times. First time I was told AC performs as expected even though they never actually performed a test. Second time they did the software flash TSB. Third time they said low refrigerant, but didn't know why. Added refrigerant and recharged the system, worked better for a day. Fourth time low refrigerant, but found a leak in the discharge hose. Replaced hose, added refrigerant and recharged the system.

Yesterday, the fifth time they said the refrigerant level was holding and no leaks found. AC temperature on low, fan speed 3 driver vent blowing 48 degrees and passenger 43 degrees. Changed the fan speed to 7 (Max AC), the driver vent temp went up to 55 degrees and passenger to 51 degrees. They said "Difference is the amount of air flow and the length of run for air to travel. Service manager and director verified all information.". Also said those temps are all within specs so AC is working properly.

We're talking about the two vents in the center stack that are 12 inches or less away from each other. Increasing the fan speed makes the temps rise by 7-8 degrees? That contradicts the idea of Max AC (temp low and fan 7) giving you the best cooling. Also, I don't know if you're truck does it, but when I have mine set on Max AC and switch to Auto the fan blows harder than 7 even though there isn't a setting above 7. IMO none of this sounds like the AC is working properly?

Sorry for the long rant, but obviously you can tell I'm frustrated with the whole situation.

I know you’re frustrated.

A difference in temp between driver and passenger sides is normal because of where the evaporator is, but 5 degrees seems like a pretty wide spread. And I don’t think that turning the blower on high should raise it 7-8 degrees. Tests are done on both center vents, but typically just on the driver side one. Thermometer or temp gun will show coldest temps with all other vents closed, fan on low, recirc mode on.

The “higher than 7” fan is most likely just recirc mode being turned on. Less space for the air to move in will equal higher air flow out of the vents.

I wish I had a good answer for you. If I get one in the shop with the same issues, I’ll try to record the temp values and see if we can fix it.

Not to rub it in, but my truck’s AC works great. I’ve never set it to Max AC, just auto mode set at 70-74 and it’s always comfortable. I do recommend using Auto mode as much as possible, if equipped. The system will use Max AC as long as needed until the cabin temp gets close to the set temp, then the blend door will move to fine tune the temp.

Users who are viewing this thread