5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak - windshield?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We got some good rain yesterday. Rained steady all day long. Went out today and my wife had water leaking on her from the front passenger side dash. Checked underneath my rubber mats and there is water on both the front driver and passenger side. I've had this truck for three years and never had a water leak so I don't think it's one of the leaks we've seen in these threads here. I had to get my windshield replaced about a month or so ago so I'm thinking that's where the problem has to be.

Ran the water hose over it for a while to confirm and it’s leaking pretty good. Anybody deal with this before? Possible to hold Safelite responsible for carpet damage, mold, mildew?

Last edited:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The windshield repair place obviously didn't seal it correctly, take it back and let them remove and reseal it.
Yeah. Just ran some water over it and it’s leaking pretty good. Anyone run into this issue before? Possible to hold the repair place responsible for carpet?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used my shop vac to vac up everything I can. It’s impossible to get to it all. Aside from the carpet, there is a mat with some foam underneath it up closer to the firewall. It is soaked as well. Got the doors open and everything pulled back as far as I can to air out. Safelite isn’t open until tomorrow.
I’m worried about future problems as well. If water got in any electrical connections I will be in for big problems later.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Used my shop vac to vac up everything I can. It’s impossible to get to it all. Aside from the carpet, there is a mat with some foam underneath it up closer to the firewall. It is soaked as well. Got the doors open and everything pulled back as far as I can to air out. Safelite isn’t open until tomorrow.
I’m worried about future problems as well. If water got in any electrical connections I will be in for big problems later.
document, document, document
hold the window repair place responsible

take pictures!!!

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
If I can do one thing for you, it might to be allay your concerns about mildew, mold, electrical damage etc. My last truck, a Ford F150 had more water in it over the years than an aquarium at Sea World. The carpets were soaked, the sound-proofing material underneath the carpet was soaked, the ceiling was soaked, I even had the entire wiring channel along the floor of the truck full of water...wires were completely submerged for days at a time. I never had the first problem with mold, mildew, electronic problems etc.

I hated the truck, and I bought a Ram because of all the headaches, but if you dry it out, everything should be fine.

Sounds like the windshield shop has some 'splainin to do. I hope you get it fixed quickly.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We got some good rain yesterday. Rained steady all day long. Went out today and my wife had water leaking on her from the front passenger side dash. Checked underneath my rubber mats and there is water on both the front driver and passenger side. I've had this truck for three years and never had a water leak so I don't think it's one of the leaks we've seen in these threads here. I had to get my windshield replaced about a month or so ago so I'm thinking that's where the problem has to be.

Ran the water hose over it for a while to confirm and it’s leaking pretty good. Anybody deal with this before? Possible to hold Safelite responsible for carpet damage, mold, mildew?
I had my windshield replaced back in early October and Safelite also screwed mine up. I had a ton of wind whistling through the top of the windshield and took it back in for them to replace. They checked it out and blamed it on the FCA windshield and not their installers. They had to order a new windshield and it will be replaced on Tuesday. Hold their feet to the fire as there is no excuse for poor workmanship.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I can do one thing for you, it might to be allay your concerns about mildew, mold, electrical damage etc. My last truck, a Ford F150 had more water in it over the years than an aquarium at Sea World. The carpets were soaked, the sound-proofing material underneath the carpet was soaked, the ceiling was soaked, I even had the entire wiring channel along the floor of the truck full of water...wires were completely submerged for days at a time. I never had the first problem with mold, mildew, electronic problems etc.

I hated the truck, and I bought a Ram because of all the headaches, but if you dry it out, everything should be fine.

Sounds like the windshield shop has some 'splainin to do. I hope you get it fixed quickly.
Good to hear. I’m not as worried about mold or mildew. It hasn’t been long and I’ll open up the doors first thing tomorrow again and put a fan to it. Electrical concerns down the road are my biggest concern.

this is actually the second replacement I’ve had. Both previous windshields developed cracks near the passenger side grab bar. First replacement through Safelite was fine. This one not so much. Luckily it hasn’t been long and we haven’t had that much rain.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced back in early October and Safelite also screwed mine up. I had a ton of wind whistling through the top of the windshield and took it back in for them to replace. They checked it out and blamed it on the FCA windshield and not their installers. They had to order a new windshield and it will be replaced on Tuesday. Hold their feet to the fire as there is no excuse for poor workmanship.
Will do. Had it replaced once a couple years ago and no issues. It just didn’t go as smoothly this time around.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'd try but I highly doubt you'll get them to do anything with the carpet. If youre able to get it dried up good you should be fine. The biggest thing is keeping the water out and they should or better take care of that for you.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Darn I need to replace my windshield ASAP and hope to not run into any issues. Once I’m back from TN I’ll get it replaced 😪

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Darn I need to replace my windshield ASAP and hope to not run into any issues. Once I’m back from TN I’ll get it replaced 😪
I strongly recommend checking with your dealer or friends to find an independent installer as Safelite doesn’t have the best reputation in online reviews. I had the windshield replaced in our 2020 by and independent who did it for 1/3 the cost of Safelite and the installation was flawless.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I strongly recommend checking with your dealer or friends to find an independent installer as Safelite doesn’t have the best reputation in online reviews. I had the windshield replaced in our 2020 by and independent who did it for 1/3 the cost of Safelite and the installation was flawless.
Thanks. I’m going to call the dealer and find out who they use.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Use a dehumidifier (inside the cab with doors closed) to really dry it out and you shouldn't get any mold or mildew

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use a dehumidifier (inside the cab with doors closed) to really dry it out and you shouldn't get any mold or mildew
Will keep that in mind. It’s nearly dry now. I have an appt to get the windshield rest Wednesday. I’ll give it time to cure and then test it all again. Hopefully they get it right this time and it won’t be a problem.

I’m just hoping I don’t have any issues down the road. There are a lot of electrical components and connections down the firewall. One of the computers is back there as well. Hopefully nothing comes of it. Electrical issues are no fun and can create huge intermittent issues. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, now I’m ready pissed! The morons at Safelite replaced the windshield they installed back in early October (due to an air leak on the top of the new windshield).

Today, they managed to scratch the red paint off between the side of the windshield and the a-pillar. See the pics.

I saw it as soon as I got him, took pics and called them. I saw on the dash a piece of window trim with red paint on it and snapped a pic too. They said I need to talk to the manager on Monday. I also sent pics to USAA as they need to make this right since Safelite is their “preferred” installer. NEVER use Safelite!!

Attachments

• 0AC26FBD-B1F2-40A6-99FD-834BF442008C.jpeg
    0AC26FBD-B1F2-40A6-99FD-834BF442008C.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 9317DA19-5A2D-4409-81D6-BA5772DC6AEF.jpeg
    9317DA19-5A2D-4409-81D6-BA5772DC6AEF.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 33CD7BD8-3410-4F56-A663-4E7A342274A0.jpeg
    33CD7BD8-3410-4F56-A663-4E7A342274A0.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 34
  • BDDA8803-0C12-4A67-905B-CDB0D5D5F4BD.jpeg
    BDDA8803-0C12-4A67-905B-CDB0D5D5F4BD.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 35

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Well, now I’m ready pissed! The morons at Safelite replaced the windshield they installed back in early October (due to an air leak on the top of the new windshield).

Today, they managed to scratch the red paint off between the side of the windshield and the a-pillar. See the pics.

I saw it as soon as I got him, took pics and called them. I saw on the dash a piece of window trim with red paint on it and snapped a pic too. They said I need to talk to the manager on Monday. I also sent pics to USAA as they need to make this right since Safelite is their “preferred” installer. NEVER use Safelite!!
That's absolutely carelessness right there. They need to make that right

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll Be all over the Safelite Manager and USAA when they open on Monday. No excuse for this at all.

Let my pain be a warning for other Ram owners - avoid Safelite at all cost.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Wow. Guess I need to double check mine. My truck is black and lifted so it wouldn’t stick out as easy. Hope you get it fixed.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Safelite Manager called this morning and offered to have a mobile dent repair service come to my house to fix the damage. I politely explained it is a 2021 Ram and will go to the local dealers new state of the art collision repair center to ensure the paint matches and work is covered.

He agreed, said to get a quote this afternoon, send it to him and as long as it isn’t outrageous then he will approve. Will have to see what his definition is of outrageous. I just want it repaired…no extras, no paint made from the oil of baby seals or some other exotic and no body shop manager looking to put his kid through college on my repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/