5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Leak, please help.

cherechemusic

Reaction score
I recently bought a 5th Gen used Ram 2019, love the truck but have a water leak somewhere, maybe coming from the Shark Fin Antenna or the 3rd brake light. My concern is where do I start? the amount of water getting in is high, I'm afraid to start getting things apart and then not having the proper parts to fix the problem if I'm able to identify.
I was thinking maybe silicone sealant under the shark fin antenna or silicone around the brake light.
please let me know if someone have experience the same problem and possible solutions.
Thanks.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you might want to first check to see if there are no cracks around the rear window frame. That's common too. But, I'd suggest sealing around both the shark fin and brake light. I found my leak from the cracked window after going through a car wash.

NoOtherHobby

Reaction score
I recently bought a 5th Gen used Ram 2019, love the truck but have a water leak somewhere, maybe coming from the Shark Fin Antenna or the 3rd brake light. My concern is where do I start? the amount of water getting in is high, I'm afraid to start getting things apart and then not having the proper parts to fix the problem if I'm able to identify.
I was thinking maybe silicone sealant under the shark fin antenna or silicone around the brake light.
please let me know if someone have experience the same problem and possible solutions.
Thanks.
It has been an unfortunately common issue in the 5th gens. Do a search and you'll see plenty of people that have had the same problem. Should hopefully be covered under warranty. The issue tends to be around the bezel of the rear window if I recall correctly.

cherechemusic

Reaction score
It has been an unfortunately common issue in the 5th gens. Do a search and you'll see plenty of people that have had the same problem. Should hopefully be covered under warranty. The issue tends to be around the bezel of the rear window if I recall correctly.
Thank you. I think probably the Antenna, will hate to go to the dealer.

cherechemusic

Reaction score
I think you might want to first check to see if there are no cracks around the rear window frame. That's common too. But, I'd suggest sealing around both the shark fin and brake light. I found my leak from the cracked window after going through a car wash.
How do I checked for cracks around the window?
From the inside or outside?

ericd

Reaction score
1 of 2 things are going on and they've been fairly common.
1. the rear window assembly is cracked. You will see hairline cracks on the interior of the window as in the picture with some water leaking in. The entire assembly will need to be replaced by the dealer.
2. The 3rd brake light is leaking with is extremely common. You will need to remove the light and apply a better seal around the light. after removing the old foam one first. Don't let the dealer replace it because the new light will have the same foam seal and when it becomes saturated it lets water in. Just do it yourself with this https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-10-ft-...Rubber-Marine-Automotive-Weatherstrip/1038917 Before.jpg 06A00C83-BDE5-403B-A07C-C9E9E97C6A15.jpeg

cherechemusic

Reaction score
Thank you!!!
I will start with the 3rd brake light and go from there, I have not seen the cracks on the window but will check thoroughly.
Thanks again.

cherechemusic

Reaction score
After inspect the rear window assembly cracked.
Called the dealer left a message. How much this can cost? Any ball park idea?

Attachments

• 20210916_150623.jpg
    20210916_150623.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210916_150634.jpg
    20210916_150634.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 77

cherechemusic

Reaction score
Update, Finally Dealer called back, truck is out of warranty, just the water test to determine where the leak is coming from at the dealer is $200.00.
This will be a painful repair.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update, Finally Dealer called back, truck is out of warranty, just the water test to determine where the leak is coming from at the dealer is $200.00.
Do you have glass coverage through your insurance company?

Bits4brains

Reaction score
I too have a 2019 used. I too have had a leak and I too have cracks in the window bezel. I replaced the seal on my 3rd brake light with the marine seal. Very easy to do. The leak has stopped. I would try that first it's cheap to do.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
diagnosis the leak yourself. put a water hose over the back of the truck window and turn it on, if you see water leaking through the crack in the frame, that is your leak. You don't need to go to the dealer to have this fixed if your out of warranty. Assuming the window is the issue, just go online and find the cheapest place to buy the window assembly and have any reputable auto glass shop install it.

ericd

Reaction score
^^This. My window was cracked as well but never actually leaked. If your leak is showing in the upper corners of the headliner its the 3rd brake light. You may not even need to replace the window. When doing the test make sure you let the water run long enough because it takes a little while for the foam gasket to get saturated and start leaking.

wvinson

Reaction score
I wouldn't replace the window. I had a leak in my rear headliner below the speakers and the dealership replaced the rear glass after supposedly diagnosing the problem. It still leaked. I then got them to check out the third brake light which they replaced. No more leaks. At least mine was under warranty. Definitely do the third brake light fix first!

2019 PB

Reaction score
Quick thanks to everyone on here. This thread saved me a lot of time and headache finding the leak that was leaving water under the back seat. Unfortunately parts won’t be available for weeks to fix it…..

Attachments

• 44CB2E09-CAF9-495E-A2AD-4B74B3BD0987.jpeg
    44CB2E09-CAF9-495E-A2AD-4B74B3BD0987.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 27
  • AE7FEB37-E3BA-47FE-A46E-4ACEFE22E312.jpeg
    AE7FEB37-E3BA-47FE-A46E-4ACEFE22E312.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread