5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

water crossing - is it smart and worth?

crazydive

Reaction score
I'm planing a trip where everyone would have to do the water crossing like in this video. It seems like everyone could do it, but is it really worth? What is the risk? To avoid it I would have to drive many miles in a different direction. From what I read I'm risking of some long term slow engine damage and water getting into transmission and in some other places. That seems like way too much for a regular weekend trip in a new fancy track.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sure would, If truck was old. I would be out of my mind to spend the money I did to do that.
It depends on how deep, 2ft or so plus little sink in mud at bottom shouldn’t be a problem. 3 plus... not me

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how good the Rams door seals are but I wouldn't try anything deep enough to test them out.

crazydive

Reaction score
I'm not sure how good the Rams door seals are but I wouldn't try anything deep enough to test them out.
I'm worried less about this part. More about all that what could cost a lot and generally will affect mechanical health of the truck - engine, transmission, anything else. Will it affect any of that?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there is water intrusion, yes. The breathers on drivetrain components are pretty high in the truck.
engine wise, as long as it’s not going into intake(upper pass side of grill) and not just sitting idling submerged(possible to be sucked in through exhaust side, unlikely) Should be fine.

crazydive

Reaction score
If there is water intrusion, yes. The breathers on drivetrain components are pretty high in the truck.
engine wise, as long as it’s not going into intake(upper pass side of grill) and not just sitting idling submerged(possible to be sucked in through exhaust side, unlikely) Should be fine.

Thanks Nails. Looks like it could be a gamble. Quite expensive. I think I will survive without being "cool" and just drive additional miles to avoid this.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Nails. Looks like it could be a gamble. Quite expensive. I think I will survive without being "cool" and just drive additional miles to avoid this.
Better save then sorry. No reason to strike harm or failure on vehicle. Older ya get less ya care about cool. Actually and oddly the wiser/less Fcks you care what others think, the cooler you become... Funning how that works

Jordan3206

Reaction score

Breathers are not high.... Diff breathers should be raised if water is deeper than the center of the axle. Other than that I would never go deeper than the bottom of the doors.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
The rear diff breather is ran up pretty high to the underside of the bed, but the front diff and TC are only barely sticking out of the housings. I've yet to locate the one for the trans.

If I'm off-roading locally, or with a group, I tend to take more risks knowing that I'm not too far from civilization, but if I'm truly out in the middle of nowhere and the only vehicle then you should minimize risk whenever possible.

Last edited:

doomtrader

Reaction score
It seems that with air suspension and your truck leveled to offroad 2, you've got only one more inch more that the 4Runner on the video, so I would take the detour as long as that would be an option.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
My 2015 Denali went through a puddle half that size, water got in my electronic power steering unit and it shorted out. Ever try driving a truck 400 miles (60 on dirt roads) without electronic power steering? Thought I was going to break the steering wheel off the shaft. Got home...under warranty, but a cluster.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My buddies see a water crossing off-road, they all want to cross it.

I'm like, hey great, lets all mess up our trucks now.

Trust me, getting dirty water in your cab all over your floor will screw up your day real quick. Worried about some rain water getting in from a rear window frame crack? Imagine that water dirty/muddy but a thousand times more all over your floor and carpets.

Mdinana

Reaction score
big issues, as mentioned, are the transmission and diff breathers, and engine intake. A snorkel could fix the intake (The whole "cold air intake" thing), but yeah, it'll tear up your car. I've heard the bow wave helps a bit, keeping water lower, but that was in a Tacoma. You also have to worry about the computers getting shorted out if water gets in the cab, depending where they're located.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you could probably say good bye to all the proximity sensors........
I'm not so sure about that, but I also wouldn't want to experiment just to find out either. As long as you kept moving, I think everything would be ok (aside from diff breathers lower than the water level you pass thru). Come to a complete stop on the other hand, and that could be problematic. Hydrostatic pressure is acts very differently around stationary vs moving objects.

For example, a lot of vehicles can pass thru rather deep water without any coming past the door seals. As soon as it stops however, the passenger compartment floods. Everything has it's limits though.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I can't honestly say I would be willing to take my new truck with 2500 miles on it through that, but I'd consider it. I can say I would not hesitate for one second to take my 2009 Wrangler with small lift thought it. I've had my Jeep in water over the front bumper. I don't do it often - only when necessary during off-roading adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread