5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voided warranty??

Usmc0311

Reaction score
I contacted the dealership that i leased my truck from for an oil change. Apparently I have a service plan which i don't remember even signing but they informed me in the past that the oil changes are free as long as you do the proper maintenance. I've been there before and previously the oil changes were free and I was charged $30 extra for whatever they did, no big deal. So now i get a confirmation for this upcoming oil change and they said the oil change is free however i would pay $299 out of pocket and the appointment is 3 hours long. I asked if I could just do the oil change at this time and the woman said yes but that would void the warranty on the engine. My question is is the engine void just through that dealership or RAM ? Second question is what are they doing to the truck for 3 hours that has 20k miles on it. I've always leased and if anything went wrong I've brought the vehicles to the dealership and everything has been covered.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like SouthFork Ram in Pearland, TX. They sell you a truck with a lifetime engine warranty with free oil changes but the fees on the “related services” are ridiculous. You have to do it or it voids their crappy aftermarket engine warranty. Does your Ram have a “lifetime engine” warranty or anything aftermarket like that? Typically they are a gold mine for the dealer...

Usmc0311

Reaction score
yes it has a lifetime engine guarantee but being a leased vehicle isn't the vehicle warrantied anyway?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes it has a lifetime engine guarantee but being a leased vehicle isn't the vehicle warrantied anyway?
Your powertrain has a 60,000 mile warranty from any FCA dealer. Sounds like your dealer is FOS. Go to a different dealer and pay $50 for an oil change. Better yet, see if you can find a package on line for 3 oil changes for $99. They pop up for CJDR all the time.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is that aftermarket "lifetime guarantee" they are claiming will be voided if you don't do their prescribed bend over and take it up the *** maintenance. HeliPilot is correct, ignore the fools and take it to another dealer for an oil change - or do it yourself and save your receipts. Dealers like that should be monitored and shut down by FCA for giving them a bad name!

P.S. If there is anyone who is relying on the "lifetime engine" warranty pushed by some of these unscrupulous dealers, you will end up paying for a new engine in their fees when you go in for regular maintenance. I actually looked at buying a Ram at SouthFork and ended up walking out as I wanted to see the fine print on their "lifetime engine warranty"...then I went to the Service Department and asked how it worked. By the time they were done explaining it all to me I knew it was fairy dust tales...

Grimey

Reaction score

The dealership sold you a lifetime warranty for a vehicle you are leasing?
That is some top shelf BS right there.

It is probably in your best interest to switch dealerships if you can. They clearly don’t have your best interests in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This boggles the mind. How do YOU need a warranty to protect THEIR asset?

I'm a land lord, I'm going to try and figure out how to do this to my tenants.
Couldn't that almost be like requiring tenants to have rental insurance? Ha! Really though this sounds like a joke... go to another dealership.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck has a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so if you have a 3 year 36,000 mile lease you're all set.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Can't OP also cancel that third party warranty effective now and get some money back?? I believe I read that somewhere in the last couple of days.

KCViper

Reaction score
Gotta be careful with the fine print on these - says up to 5 qts, extra charges for hemi engines and additional fees may apply. Might still be an o.k. deal but I'd like to know what those extra fees are.
Agree, but if you take your truck to dealer for oil changes, seems like it could save some $$

St-na

Reaction score
Just checked my contract with Southfork, their Lifetime Warranty program require "maintenance according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule". There is nothing in this schedule related to the engine for 20k miles, except oil change. Call 1-800-810-8458 in case of any questions, very reasonable people there.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked my contract with Southfork, their Lifetime Warranty program require "maintenance according manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule". There is nothing in this schedule related to the engine for 20k miles, except oil change. Call 1-800-810-8458 in case of any questions, very reasonable people there.
Hope it works out for you as their BBB reviews are in the toilet...and there are a number of limitations Southfork puts on the owner including the fact you are not permitted to change your own oil or it voids their “lifetime warranty” thus you have to pay them to do it. Likewise, any covered repairs have to be authorized in advance and then paid with a credit card by the owner - who then has to wait, hope and pray for reimbursement. And towing/roadside assistance is not covered - only the repair of the listed parts. If it isn’t listed, it isn’t covered. Too many pitfalls with this “lifetime warranty”...

Last edited:
U

User_3336

I'd say F&&& that dealership if the vehicle is a lease. Do regular oil changes and decline anything else.

U

User_3336

People don't really take care of "leased" vehicles like they would a vehicle that they owned.

A lot of leases are 3/36, so the vehicle is under warranty most of the lease term anyway. Not sure why anyone would want to purchase an ESP on a lease.

I do regular oil changes. But I don't keep the vehicle as clean as I would my truck.

The "lease" is transportation everyday. But I drive a lot harder than I would my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread