5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VCM 2020 Hemi 5.7 w/o E-Torque

JD fixes it

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab. I love the truck but it seems to jerk when ever I am in a situation where the engine picks up rpm. I'm thinking this is due to the VCM kicking back to 8 cyl from 4. It's noticeable, and irritating. Can anyone confirm this?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Use the gear selector on the steering wheel and put it in 8th gear. This will disable 4 cylinder mode but still go through all the gears normally

JD fixes it

Reaction score
I just tried this and it sure seems like you are correct. I didn't notice any jerking once I did that, so I guess it's safe to assume that it's normal for the truck to feel that way when it's in drive (D), but it sure seems excessive. I wonder how much it really affects the MPG...

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turn MDS off every time. It drives me crazy, especially with an aftermarket exhaust.

JD fixes it

Reaction score
I turn MDS off every time. It drives me crazy, especially with an aftermarket exhaust.
Does it drive you crazy because of the "jerkyness" or for other reasons? Also, just to be clear, MDS is the same thing as the VCM right?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes,

It is the MDS mode switching modes.

I turned the ECO on in my UConnect so that I could see on my Dash when I was in MDS (4 Cylinder mode).

JD fixes it

Reaction score
Yes,

It is the MDS mode switching modes.

I turned the ECO on in my UConnect so that I could see on my Dash when I was in MDS (4 Cylinder mode).
I don’t have an eco light, or a way to turn it on. Thanks for the info though.

JD fixes it

Reaction score
This is what I have

Attachments

• F16BC14C-F694-4A6D-AFB2-5101FF1541C2.png
    F16BC14C-F694-4A6D-AFB2-5101FF1541C2.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 33

kenthorkveen

Reaction score
Yeah, after I started putting my gear limit at 8, my truck is a totally different truck.. my power is always on tap, and it doesn’t downshift as often.. it’s so much smoother now also..

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Yeah, after I started putting my gear limit at 8, my truck is a totally different truck.. my power is always on tap, and it doesn’t downshift as often.. it’s so much smoother now also..
Now if you had the 3.92 gears you’d always have a smile on your face when pushing the fun peddle.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 big horn 5.7 non-ET but have never turned off the MDS and never noticed any jerkiness - this thing is smooth as butter. I do occasionally notice downshifts and noise when at low speed and in Eco-mode but only if the radio is off and only rarely when on residential streets coasting.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

In the 4th gen trucks, it was often repeated misinformation that the ECO light signaled when MDS/4-cylinder mode was engaged. This was not true.
The ECO light/mode had to be on for 4-cylinder to have a chance of activating, but ECO light simply meant you were driving economically, not that you were in 4-cylinder mode.

In these 5th gen trucks, I am not so sure. When I can feel the 4-cylinder mode, or think I do, ECO is definitely on (on the dash), so maybe they changed it so ECO comes on with MDS now. I'll have to pay more attention and find out.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the 4th gen trucks, it was often repeated misinformation that the ECO light signaled when MDS/4-cylinder mode was engaged. This was not true.
The ECO light/mode had to be on for 4-cylinder to have a chance of activating, but ECO light simply meant you were driving economically, not that you were in 4-cylinder mode.

In these 5th gen trucks, I am not so sure. When I can feel the 4-cylinder mode, or think I do, ECO is definitely on (on the dash), so maybe they changed it so ECO comes on with MDS now. I'll have to pay more attention and find out.
I was not aware of the 4th gen ECO mode since I did not have one, but I can feel and hear; (since I have a magnaflow B2 Fabrication muffler) that the engine in synchronized with MDS and the ECO light on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread