5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V8 or V6

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
I’m planning to order a build-out for a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with the V6. (The V6 is only available from the dealers’ build site at this point as it doesn’t show up as an option yet on the public-facing site at www.ramtrucks.com). I’m leaning towards the V6 (eTorque comes standard) rather than the V8 because my towing needs are pulling a bass boat and a pop-up camper, and the V6 seems more than capable. It is also less expensive to buy and slightly better fuel mileage than the Hemi V8.

The Eco Diesel for the Limited isn’t available at this point, and I’m not sure that I’d get better cost savings overall given the extra upfront cost for the engine, higher fuel prices for diesel over gas and required diesel additive(s).

I realize the obvious downside of the V6 would be future trade-in value, but I am one that drives vehicles until they’re not worth much anyway. Am I overlooking any other factors?

rvsixer

Reaction score
I’m planning to order a build-out for a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with the V6....and slightly better fuel mileage than the Hemi V8.

Etorque V8 has better real world tested fuel economy than etorque V6:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram...0-big-horn-4x4-v-6-etorque-first-test-review/

Based on fuelly and numbers reported here, I'd say the non-etorque V8 and etorque V6 would be pretty close in fuel economy. IMO the trucks are just too heavy to get much advantage out of going with smaller NA engines, they have to work that much harder to get things moving.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you do decide to get the v6 I advise not to get the 3.21 axle ratio. Go for the 3.92 (best) or 3.55. Especially if you plan to do some light towing. The Limited trim is a lot of weight to move around everyday.

See my signature. I do tow quite a bit with the v6 3.55 combination and it gets the job done but wish I had the 3.92. Good mileage too. 25-27mpg highway not towing. 17-19 around town. 9.5-13 towing. It’s a 4th gen truck.

Last edited:

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you do decide to get the v6 I advise not to get the 3.21 axle ratio. Go for the 3.92 (best) or 3.55. Especially if you plan to do some light towing. The Limited trim is a lot of weight to move around everyday.

See my signature. I do tow quite a bit with the v6 3.55 combination and it gets the job done but wish I had the 3.92. Good mileage too. 25-27mpg not towing. 9.5-13 towing. It’s a 4th gen truck.

Umm..how is yours a 4th gen truck if it had Etorque???

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For light towing the V6 should be fine with 3.21s. I had the 4.7 with 3.21 in my Gen IV and it towed the bass boat, hauled ATVs, a 5000# tractor on a tandem trailer and a utility trailer loaded with hardwood just fine. The HP and torque of the V6 is about the same as the old 4.7.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean no offense whatsoever and a V6 could very well be the right choice for you but....get the V8. At least drive the two back to back before you buy. The V6 feels like a wet fart when you press the pedal...the V8 feels like the angels have reached down and gifted you with power to knock out Mike Tyson. Also, cold starts...that is all.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... I’m leaning towards the V6 (eTorque comes standard) rather than the V8 because my towing needs are pulling a bass boat and a pop-up camper, and the V6 seems more than capable. It is also less expensive to buy and slightly better fuel mileage than the Hemi V8.
. . . I realize the obvious downside of the V6 would be future trade-in value, but I am one that drives vehicles until they’re not worth much anyway. Am I overlooking any other factors?
I agree the Hemi is a joy when needing to pass or having fun. But, if you enjoy watching your truck get 27 mpg on the highway, and 20 mpg in town, the V6 is the way to go. As for trade-in, the Hemi will never return the additional cost. If gas goes to $5/gallon, the V6 will likely have an edge.

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
I agree the Hemi is a joy when needing to pass or having fun. But, if you enjoy watching your truck get 27 mpg on the highway, and 20 mpg in town, the V6 is the way to go. As for trade-in, the Hemi will never return the additional cost. If gas goes to $5/gallon, the V6 will likely have an edge.
It looks like you own a Hemi ... how come you didn’t opt for the V6?

Phoon

Reaction score
I would buy the V8 with 3:21 gears , they get good highway mileage and you will be able to sell it when you are done with it. I don't know too many people who would want to purchase a well equipped truck with the small motor.... 3:92 gears do seem to hurt the highway fuel economy, compared to the 3:21 in my 4th gen.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
The V6 doesn’t get enough credit. My main pickup right now has the Hemi for towing, but our other two have the V6. (All 4th gen, but engines are the same, of course) We just bought a new 2018 Ram with the V6 for my dad today, because he prefers driving it over the Hemi. It’s a great match for the pickup, but the 8 speed transmission is the real miracle worker. The pickup also feels a lot lighter weight to drive, and we get a solid 25 mpg highway. The other primary reason we jumped on the 2018 V6 was for E85 flex fuel capability, which the 2019’s unfortunately lost.

Also, never buy something based on trade in value. After depreciation and time value on your money, you almost never even break even on additional options. Buy what you want, not what the next guy wants.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Also, I would always recommend the 3.21 axle ratio for regular driving. The only reasons I would go to the optional axle ratios are for a higher towing rating and for people adding bigger wheels and tires, which I have no experience with.

To be fair, the tow rating for the V6 with 3.21 is ridiculously low. Ours is rated under 5,000 lbs. We have towed over 8,000 lbs with it, and it did fine and could do more, but we live where it’s perfectly flat, and not hilly. For us, the optional axle ratios add more tow rating, not more real world capability. In the mountains, that would all change.

Reactions: 356

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like you own a Hemi ... how come you didn’t opt for the V6?
They were not taking orders for the V6 back in early May. I’ve still yet to see one on this forum, but when they start showing up, I will be interested in hearing owner impressions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the Hemi, and I’m sure I would have been so with the V6.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would get a Hemi with the 3.21 gears, the differance in mileage is not going to be that great. The Pentastar is a good engine but if I were getting a top trim limited I don't think I would get a V6.

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score
The V6 doesn’t get enough credit. My main pickup right now has the Hemi for towing, but our other two have the V6. (All 4th gen, but engines are the same, of course) We just bought a new 2018 Ram with the V6 for my dad today, because he prefers driving it over the Hemi. It’s a great match for the pickup, but the 8 speed transmission is the real miracle worker. The pickup also feels a lot lighter weight to drive, and we get a solid 25 mpg highway. The other primary reason we jumped on the 2018 V6 was for E85 flex fuel capability, which the 2019’s unfortunately lost.

Also, never buy something based on trade in value. After depreciation and time value on your money, you almost never even break even on additional options. Buy what you want, not what the next guy wants.

Did your Dad’s V6 get 25 mpg on the highway because he was running E85, or was he running regular gas?

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Did your Dad’s V6 get 25 mpg on the highway because he was running E85, or was he running regular gas?

25 mpg on E10, around 21-22 running E85.

Personally, I would still get the V8 on the Longhorn and Limited trims. The V8 performance is worth more to me personally than the luxury features with the higher trims. But again, different uses and different priorities from person to person. Some people would rather spend the money on leather seats than extra gas on the V8.

Phoon

Reaction score
Loaded trucks that don't have the largest available engine always confuse me..... if someone was trying to save the planet then don't buy a big truck, if you are trying to save money then buy a lower end truck.... i think the v6 is fine in base model trucks as they are light and money is a concern for fleet etc. On a limited, the tuck is heavy and another $1500 or so isn't much on that expensive of a vehicle.

rvsixer

Reaction score
Comparisons of 4th gen non-etorque V6 to 5th gen etorque V6 are apples to oranges.

Did no one look at the *FIFTH GEN* MT real world V6/etorque Hemi/non-etorque Hemi MPG test report? Or even the non real world EPA numbers? To save on gas money, get the Hemi and drive it at V6 performance levels. Step into it, and well, you will pay lol but at least you have a choice.

john l.

Reaction score
I would get a Hemi with the 3.21 gears, the differance in mileage is not going to be that great. The Pentastar is a good engine but if I were getting a top trim limited I don't think I would get a V6.
Yea, gas is the cheapest part!

Users who are viewing this thread