5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utility Bed Rails Install

Briencrotty

Reaction score
Hey there,

Fedex just delivered a present - the Bed Utility Rails I ordered. I'm about to start the install, and want to make sure I'm not making this harder on myself than it needs to be.

They mount to existing holes in the bed walls, using M6 nutserts and corresponding bolts. The Mopar instructions suck (see picture attached), and seemingly show that you put the nutserts in and expand them by running the bolt in 4 times, to a torque of 10Nm. That would be a glorious idea, if you could actually do that, but as soon as you start to get the torqued down, they start spinning in the hole.

Am I missing something in these instructions, or am I going to just have to bite the bullet and pick up a nutsert tool such as this one:

tolh13

Reaction score
harbor fright sell one for about $20 it also does rivets

Briencrotty

Reaction score
harbor fright sell one for about $20 it also does rivets
Thanks. That may just have to be the solution, it seems. I even stopped by the local Ram dealer and talked to the service dude, who a) didn't have the tool; b) hadn't ever installed the rails; and c) couldn't figure out how the Mopar instructions could possibly work as written.

Since Harbor Freight is a bit of a haul for me, I did pick up one on Amazon that will be delivered tomorrow, so hopefully it will put that project to bed (no pun intended!).

B

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Hey there,

Fedex just delivered a present - the Bed Utility Rails I ordered. I'm about to start the install, and want to make sure I'm not making this harder on myself than it needs to be.

They mount to existing holes in the bed walls, using M6 nutserts and corresponding bolts. The Mopar instructions suck (see picture attached), and seemingly show that you put the nutserts in and expand them by running the bolt in 4 times, to a torque of 10Nm. That would be a glorious idea, if you could actually do that, but as soon as you start to get the torqued down, they start spinning in the hole.

Am I missing something in these instructions, or am I going to just have to bite the bullet and pick up a nutsert tool such as this one:

View attachment 23960
So a way to do this without special tools is if you can find nut that will thread onto the bolt, thread it on about halfway up the stud, then put the stud in the nutsert until the nut bottoms out. Then hold the stud with one wrench and and turn the nut and the sert will crush. Then remove the stud and take the nut off.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
So a way to do this without special tools is if you can find nut that will thread onto the bolt, thread it on about halfway up the stud, then put the stud in the nutsert until the nut bottoms out. Then hold the stud with one wrench and and turn the nut and the sert will crush. Then remove the stud and take the nut off.
An excellent idea! If the nutsert tool that shows up tomorrow morning isn't easily workable, that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks for the great tip!

B

SacRebel

Reaction score
I just tightened them once and they're as solid as a rock. Didn't know you were supposed to back them out and tighten 4-times.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When did you get the bed rails? My kit is hexagonal rivit nuts that fit in the same shape holes in the bed, this stops the spinning of the rivit nuts. An example at https://www.amazon.com/M6x14mm-carb...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07GLT4NCC

I can't find the info but I believe the spinning was with prior vehicles with round rivit nuts and you also had to drill the holes based on indentations or some form of marking. Found it: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dodg...1&refRID=PWHK0HRCFN4QV57ZJFWC#customerReviews

See post 812 and a few after at https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ram-today.1686/page-41#post-62856 and https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/bed-utility-rail-system.2545/

Briencrotty

Reaction score
When did you get the bed rails? My kit is hexagonal rivit nuts that fit in the same shape holes in the bed, this stops the spinning of the rivit nuts. An example at https://www.amazon.com/M6x14mm-carb...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07GLT4NCC

I can't find the info but I believe the spinning was with prior vehicles with round rivit nuts and you also had to drill the holes based on indentations or some form of marking. Found it: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dodg...1&refRID=PWHK0HRCFN4QV57ZJFWC#customerReviews

See post 812 and a few after at https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ram-today.1686/page-41#post-62856 and https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/bed-utility-rail-system.2545/
That is likely the problem, then. I had hexagonal nutserts, but the holes in the bed were round (at least they appeared to be, as they were covered with sprayed in bed liner). The bed liner made it impossible to get them in without relieving the holes a bit, which undoubtedly rounded out the holes.

So, if you have a spray in bed liner, then the realistic option is to make sure you have a nutsert tool first! Once that showed up this morning, I was done in about 20 minutes.

Another tip, when you use the nutsert tool, you don't have to torque way down on it - you'll just dimple the sheetmetal and the nutsert will pull out. It just needs a bit of expansion.

Finished product pics:

24023 24024

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I made my own nutsert tool. Tool is at the 3:00 mark.

Very nice! I tried to do the same last night, but the nut/bolt I picked up at the local hardware store was too soft metal, and was stripping before it was expanding, so I just ended up having to wait for the nutsert tool to show up today. Thankfully it showed and worked!

cra1g

Reaction score
I made my own nutsert tool. Tool is at the 3:00 mark.

Thank you! I had the same problem, and this worked for me. Well, sort of. I got 14 of the 16 done, and broke the head off the bolt, but after another run to the hardware store, everything came out great!

Ram1500_G

Reaction score
My holes appeared round as well with the spray in liner. I took a screwdrive and put the tip on the rivet, and beat it in with a rubber mallet, solid as a rock. The liner is just covering the sides of the hex hole.

Jako

Reaction score
My holes appeared round as well with the spray in liner. I took a screwdrive and put the tip on the rivet, and beat it in with a rubber mallet, solid as a rock. The liner is just covering the sides of the hex hole.
Thanks for the info. I have not installed the rails yet and have been debating line-x vs bed rug and was wondering how the install of the rails would work out. Any "deflection" with the "beat in"?

Briencrotty

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have not installed the rails yet and have been debating line-x vs bed rug and was wondering how the install of the rails would work out. Any "deflection" with the "beat in"?
I started to do that, as well, but stopped because the sheet metal was deflecting. That's when I just drilled them (inadvertently drilling them out round since I didn't know the holes were hex under the sprayed in liner), then picked up a nutsert tool and put them in that way.

B

Jako

Reaction score
What brand bed mat u have?
FYI I have a Westin. Would not have bought it if I had seen it first. Made from recycled tires I believe and looks like it. Looks like it was made from 3 different "pours". I have a cover so I don't see it. Not worth the hassle to send back. I have one in my 2001 and could not find a brand, sales receipt or similar on line so I went with a known brand name.
My 2001 fits spot on, 2019 can move forward and back.

Bigcountry

Reaction score
Went to harbor freight and picked up a rivet/nutsert tool. Sounded like the easiest way to get this done. Any words of wisdom? Any issues with spray in bed liner?

tolh13

Reaction score
Went to harbor freight and picked up a rivet/nutsert tool. Sounded like the easiest way to get this done. Any words of wisdom? Any issues with spray in bed liner?
I had to re-drill the holes out a bit to remove the bed liner then sprayed with some rustoleum just for fun.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
Just don't squeeze the nutserts TOO tight, or it will dimple the metal. I'd suggest practicing a bit on scrap steel if you have some. I definitely had to drill out the holes a bit to relieve the spray in bed liner. Had I know that the holes were hexagonal, I'd have tried to scrape off the bed liner out of the holes a different way to maintain the hex shape, but that just wasn't feasible, so the nutsert tool was the way to go.

B

Users who are viewing this thread