5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB hub issue finally resolved?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
For the old hands here, you prob know my issue with the USB ports disconnecting intermittently since my truck was new.
It has been a pain point for me since every time I would take the truck in, they would start working either when I got to the dealer, or if they weren't, they would start working the next time the truck was started. I believe I have tried four different occasions all together (dedicated trips & when I had other warranty/maintenance work done).

Huge PIA, since it would affect all ports, including CarPlay and my music thumb drive I have permanently plugged in USB2 (right side). Not critical like a water leak or bolts not torqued correctly, but something that has bothered me since it's been an issue since the truck was brand new, and not confidence-inspiring in UConnect since it took so long and so many tries to nail down. To add insult to injury, while on a ski vacation a couple of weeks ago, we had a little AWD Ford Escape that worked flawlessly with CarPlay every single time in -5 degree weather. That made my resolve even stronger to get to the bottom of the issue with my RAM next chance I had.

I had decided to just wait, since when the issue manifested itself, it would be so short-lived. The ports work for the most part, and would cut off for 10-15 seconds to a few minutes at the most, and then come back online.

Well, last Saturday it happened again, but this time they never came back on, so yesterday, on a whim, I emailed my service advisor and asked if I could bring it by real quick while it wasn't working so his tech could look at it, while hoping it would not start to work again :D, and lo and behold, him and his lead electrical tech were able to verify, and have me leave it with them.

Turns out it was a bent connector that was not seated correctly, which I assume happened at the factory and never got caught during final inspection and/or PDI as it was prob working fine at the time. Hopefully this was indeed the issue and I'll never have any more problems with it. If anyone else is experiencing this, it may be worth a shot to have them inspect connections instead of looking at software updates or pointing fingers at your charging cord or phone not being "compatible" (was told this may be the issue the last time I was there, that my iPhone XS Max was not certified with UConnect... Right...:unsure: ).

Anyway, long-winded post, but hope this can help someone else. I know I am ready to be done with this and have everything work the wait it should from the start.

Below is the copy of the work order. BTW, if you are in the Houston area, Helfman has been incredibly great to deal with. Great service and experience.
Matthew White is my advisor. Super nice and courteous, and will put you in a rental free of charge for any warranty work if you can't wait for it. Highly recommend it

Cheers,

1579706886875.png

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
>>>Update<<<

Looks like that was indeed the issue, as I've had zero problems with either of the USB ports.
Nice not having to worry about this anymore, and having stuff work every time you use it.

If anyone else is having issues with their USB hub, you may want to have the dealer look at the Hub connector to ensure terminals are not bent.

Neurobit

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
>>>Update 2<<<
Still zero problems for anyone having similar issues. The bent connector was definitely the culprit.
So nice having this work every time the phone and usb drive are plugged in!

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Awesome! I might take my truck in for this--I've had intermittent USB connectivity issues, randomly I'll plug my phone in for Android Auto and I'll have to plug/unplug it several times for it to register and the AA icon to show up. It's not consistent, I might go a week straight with no issues, then have a day where it's sporadic, then back to normal.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Awesome! I might take my truck in for this--I've had intermittent USB connectivity issues, randomly I'll plug my phone in for Android Auto and I'll have to plug/unplug it several times for it to register and the AA icon to show up. It's not consistent, I might go a week straight with no issues, then have a day where it's sporadic, then back to normal.
That is exactly what mine was doing.

Reason I knew without a shadow of a doubt it was not the phone (or charging cable, which seem to always get blamed), is that I added a flash drive with a music playlist to USB 2 (passenger side), as a control, and it would always disconnect along with the phone when the USB media hub stopped working.

The tricky part was having it not work long enough for the dealer to see it and be able to troubleshoot. Let me know how it goes. Hope they nail it also. So frustrating having it cutout on you, specially while using the phone for turn by turn directions, etc.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
>>>Update 3<<<
Still zero issues, and coupled with the wireless CarPlay dongle, Uconnect is a pleasure to use now.

Syntheticmike

Reaction score
Did the wireless charging also stop working when you had this issue? My setup was intermittent and then all of a sudden stop working. Zero power to the USB. Took it in today and they worked on it for several hours. I’m bringing it back on Tuesday so they can give it another go. I’m going to show them your work order and hopefully it’s the same issue.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Did the wireless charging also stop working when you had this issue? My setup was intermittent and then all of a sudden stop working. Zero power to the USB. Took it in today and they worked on it for several hours. I’m bringing it back on Tuesday so they can give it another go. I’m going to show them your work order and hopefully it’s the same issue.
No. Wireless charging was never affected (could be a bent terminal also).

Users who are viewing this thread