5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB constantly disconnects during driving

daamonkeyboy

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Larimie with an 8.4 UCONNECT system. For the most part, the two console USB ports work ok, but they seem to disconnect and switch to radio every time I hit a bump in the road. When this happens, I have to switch back to the USB and the song resumes where it left off. This happened with my 2016 Ram 1500 as well. Is anyone else having these issues? It doesn't seem to matter which thumb drive I use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Is your USB stick a snug fit or possibly wiggling? If not might pinch the end of it that gets inserted, until it bends a bit and may connect better.

It prob wont make a diff but open the fuse/relay box under the hood and firmly push down on everything in there, several mine werent fully seated.

If not sounds like a loose connection on the back end...use the warranty if all else fails

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Larimie with an 8.4 UCONNECT system. For the most part, the two console USB ports work ok, but they seem to disconnect and switch to radio every time I hit a bump in the road. When this happens, I have to switch back to the USB and the song resumes where it left off. This happened with my 2016 Ram 1500 as well. Is anyone else having these issues? It doesn't seem to matter which thumb drive I use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
I’d have the dealer take a look, but good luck... If it happens to be working when they look at it, they may not do anything.

I lived with this for over a year, and took it to them several times, but since it was intermittent, and it happened to work every time I took it in, they would not do anything.

The last time I tried, it had not been working for a couple of days, and they finally found the fault. There was a bent connector from the USB hub to the wire harness, which apparently happened at the factory. They straightened the connector, and I haven’t had any more issues in about six months now. It literally drove me nuts, since it would work on and off, sometimes it would work for days, and then it would cut off and not work again for a day or two.

I hope they fix this for you. Cheers,

61CB2294-9A15-449B-BFA8-63304927D29B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread