5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading rear springs?

Gofarque

Reaction score
My 2019 only has a payload of 1260lbs due to options like pano roof. Thinking about upgrading rear springs to heavier duty variable rate springs but bc truck has ORP springs currently Tuff Truck says springs won't work. So two questions. 1) has anyone upgraded their rear springs to help with trailer sag (wife, kids (3) and I are about 700lbs)). Trailer only has a tongue weight in the 250lb range but that gets us really close to payload and I'd like some wiggle.

2) why wouldn't the upgraded springs work with ORP? Aren't the orp's just a inch taller?

Thanks.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you considered Timber Grove ASAM air bags? It’s a bolt-on kit and will easily level your truck when under a load. They support up to 5K lbs.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 only has a payload of 1260lbs due to options like pano roof. Thinking about upgrading rear springs to heavier duty variable rate springs but bc truck has ORP springs currently Tuff Truck says springs won't work. So two questions. 1) has anyone upgraded their rear springs to help with trailer sag (wife, kids (3) and I are about 700lbs)). Trailer only has a tongue weight in the 250lb range but that gets us really close to payload and I'd like some wiggle.

2) why wouldn't the upgraded springs work with ORP? Aren't the orp's just a inch taller?
Be sure you are clear about what you are asking and what Tuff Truck is telling you. The springs might fit, but be an inch shorter than ORP,
so you could end up with both lower rear and harsher ride.

As another poster suggested, this might be a good application for adjustable air assist bags.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Springs and or airbags won’t increase your “payload” or axel rating.

Tymeks

Reaction score
Take a look at either the Timbren or SumoSprings. Both are helper springs that will help reduce sag in the rear when loaded, just like airbags. They all have the pluses and minuses.

For towing as well, take a look at the Hellwig rear sway bar. Good helper springs, Hellwig rear sway bar and a high quality WDH hitch and you'll be fine as long as you're in the ball park of your door sticker for your Travel Trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread