5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: Unlucky cracked windshield FIXED!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropped off a co-worker who had car trouble after work, helped him get his tools out of the truck and headed home. Half way home I'm passing some slower traffic and out of nowhere I see this appear like a snake crawling across the windshield... 20180824_163728.jpg
WTF? Spontaneous windshield cracks? I have just under 2000klm and I'm the only person to have ever driven the truck and there is no dent or chip to have evidence of something hitting the pillar or windshield. "F" me. I think I'd rather have the clunk. So depressed.

Edit: Microscopic chip seems to be in the crack... 50/50 whether or not it's a defect or stone... but I have never heard anything hit the windshield. Body flex? Contaminated sealent at that spot? Unknown at this point... just wanted to change the tone until it's confirmed defective or damaged.

Last edited:

Agitated

Reaction score
That happened to me on my prior truck, a F250. So dont be too depressed. It happens and theyll probably warranty it if theres no sign of an impact.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me, a windshield swap is horrifying. I'm sure it will all work out.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Horrifying? I need that kind of life.
I don't have any wind noise, squeaking or whistles... and I know changing a windshield can have awful consequences. Changing this windshield looks like a nightmare. I'm trying to be chill... I'm sure most of you can relate.

RT70808

Reaction score
I don't have any wind noise, squeaking or whistles... and I know changing a windshield can have awful consequences. Changing this windshield looks like a nightmare. I'm trying to be chill... I'm sure most of you can relate.
Mine is super quiet in the cabin, already took a rock at 400 miles, filled it myself and I’m good to go. I don’t know why everyone is paranoid of a windshield replacement. I get mine done every 1-2 years and added glass coverage to my insurance policy. Louisiana roads are horrible. Never had an issue with a replacement.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is super quiet in the cabin, already took a rock at 400 miles, filled it myself and I’m good to go. I don’t know why everyone is paranoid of a windshield replacement. I get mine done every 1-2 years and added glass coverage to my insurance policy. Louisiana roads are horrible. Never had an issue with a replacement.
Your reassurance is helping... but on a three week old truck it still stings like a mother ××××××!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a better worry... when will they even be able to get a new windshield? Most members can't even get their truck, let alone a windshield! :ROFLMAO:

RT70808

Reaction score
Here's a better worry... when will they even be able to get a new windshield? Most members can't even get their truck, let alone a windshield! :ROFLMAO:
FYI to all members who get a non factory windshield later down the road - bad experience with safelite - their glass is thin. Get a “pilkington”. I had 17 rock chips over 2 years and not a single run, put in a safelite and the first rock ran across the whole windshield. Pilkington also oem’s several manufacturers. Yes you read that right, 17 over 2 years, I used to commute 40 miles each way, valet’d the car once on vacation and the driver asked me if someone had shot at me. Lol.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI to all members who get a non factory windshield later down the road - bad experience with safelite - their glass is thin. Get a “pilkington”. I had 17 rock chips over 2 years and not a single run, put in a safelite and the first rock ran across the whole windshield. Pilkington also oem’s several manufacturers. Yes you read that right, 17 over 2 years, I used to commute 40 miles each way, valet’d the car once on vacation and the driver asked me if someone had shot at me. Lol.
I had my windshield replaced last year at Safelite after I got a big rock chip mark in it. I had them put a Genuine Mopar windshield in and it was all covered by insurance with no deductible. Took about an hour. No problems noticed since the install.

warmachine

Reaction score
I’m waiting for my new windshield, happened at 1,000km. There’s no windshields available, it might be here mid September according to the parts dept. it was ordered Aug 12

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting for my new windshield, happened at 1,000km. There’s no windshields available, it might be here mid September according to the parts dept. it was ordered Aug 12
I can confirm, my parts dept. told me they're not even in production, but they have 5 (FCA Canada) out in the wild and my dealer is going to try to grab one. That, or as @warmachine said, long wait.

warmachine

Reaction score
I can confirm, my parts dept. told me they're not even in production, but they have 5 (FCA Canada) out in the wild and my dealer is going to try to grab one. That, or as @warmachine said, long wait.

We checked last week and there was now -7, so 6 other than mine on back order.

Chase19

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me at only 170 miles.

Cost me $1040 for the new windshield and the dealer wouldn’t cover it under warranty because there was a very tiny chip in the crack.

It took 5 weeks to get it fixed. The first windshield showed up broken, and the second one took a few extra weeks to get here.

J-Rad

Reaction score
Mine had a small crack on delivery. It's going to be replaced at no charge to me but getting the OEM windshield is the challenge...so it may be awhile.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had a bad experience with a safelite windshield install. Had a Nissan and 6 months after I got it windshield got hit by a rock and had to get it replaced by safelite. Well about a year or so later I had rust at the top of the windshield, safelite paid to get it repaired at a body shop, well about two years later more rust and back to the body shop, then a year later windshield started leaking from the top. Never ever will I go to a safelite again, I had such a bad experiance with this one install. Make sure to always demand a factory replacement with factory gasket as well.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Dropped off a co-worker who had car trouble after work, helped him get his tools out of the truck and headed home. Half way home I'm passing some slower traffic and out of nowhere I see this appear like a snake crawling across the windshield... View attachment 3280
WTF? Spontaneous windshield cracks? I have just under 2000klm and I'm the only person to have ever driven the truck and there is no dent or chip to have evidence of something hitting the pillar or windshield. "F" me. I think I'd rather have the clunk. So depressed.

Edit: Microscopic chip seems to be in the crack... 50/50 whether or not it's a defect or stone... but I have never heard anything hit the windshield. Body flex? Contaminated sealent at that spot? Unknown at this point... just wanted to change the tone until it's confirmed defective or damaged.
Almost the same to me, truck isn't 2 weeks old yet! I know the truck is quiet but I never heard anything hit the windshield and checked for chips and found nothing
Went out this morning to go to the gym and saw this crack, WTF? No visible chips and cant feel anything w my finger or fingernail.
Headed to the dealer tomorrow, ill update w their response?
Dropped off a co-worker who had car trouble after work, helped him get his tools out of the truck and headed home. Half way home I'm passing some slower traffic and out of nowhere I see this appear like a snake crawling across the windshield... View attachment 3280

So what was the final outcome? I have the same spontaneous crack dead center starting at the top, no chips or impacts, less than 2 weeks old? 20181014_071930.jpg 20181014_071749.jpg

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got a windshield from the dealer. It goes in on Friday. I'll be so happy to have a perfect truck again. Almost a 2 month wait, btw, but good things come to those that can wait.

It's an insurance claim, $200 deductible, which includes car rental.

Reactions: 356

satellitemike

Reaction score
Stopped by the dealer and they took pics and said they were going to submit it as a warrantee claim. Ill let you know what I hear from them.

Users who are viewing this thread