5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unresponsive Touchscreen - FCA Says Update Coming Early 2021

Frankie11

Reaction score
For the communities awareness:

I’ve had a persistent issue where my touchscreen will not respond to touch upon first startup of the day, particularly when it’s cold out. This goes on anywhere from 30 minutes up to 2 hours before the screen starts to recognize my touch.

I took my truck into the dealer who quickly told me that there is nothing they can do until FCA releases a software update that is supposed to address multiple issues with the 12 inch screen. This software update is due to be released sometime in early 2021. The dealer also said that FCA will not ship any replacement units until this software is released.

A subsequent call to FCA echoed what the dealer told me, that a software update is due to be released sometime between January and April 2021. All FCA could offer as a solution or compensation was an apology.

Obviously this is quite frustrating and terrible customer service, so I’d appreciate hearing anyone else’s similar experiences or recommendations.

Many thanks.

gtxdana

Reaction score
Good luck! FCA pretty much told me I could buy my own radio unit to repair the multiple issues with my 2020 Ram 12 inch system. Pretty much the same story I got about the junk tires on my truck. It appears there really is no warranty on these new Rams.

CMENT

Reaction score
For the communities awareness:

I’ve had a persistent issue where my touchscreen will not respond to touch upon first startup of the day, particularly when it’s cold out. This goes on anywhere from 30 minutes up to 2 hours before the screen starts to recognize my touch.

I took my truck into the dealer who quickly told me that there is nothing they can do until FCA releases a software update that is supposed to address multiple issues with the 12 inch screen. This software update is due to be released sometime in early 2021. The dealer also said that FCA will not ship any replacement units until this software is released.

A subsequent call to FCA echoed what the dealer told me, that a software update is due to be released sometime between January and April 2021. All FCA could offer as a solution or compensation was an apology.

Obviously this is quite frustrating and terrible customer service, so I’d appreciate hearing anyone else’s similar experiences or recommendations.

Many thanks.

Well it’s not your issue but the update for the “Sirius loading” issue that basically bricked the radio was supposed to arrive in July/August of 2020. Still has not been pushed and I (personally) hope it never goes live. I was able to get my 19 Limited unit replace under the extended warrantee, but it took about 4hrs on the phone with FCA. My advice is don’t give up once you get them on the phone. If you hit a wall ask to open a car/ticket and once they confirm that ask to be connected to a UConnect rep and spend another 2hrs with them. Whatever you do, always make sure you get a case number and request that all communication is via email.

These bastars know there are serious issues with the radios and want to keep kicking the can down the road.

I suspect the issue comes from the supply chain. Whomever is making the 12” is already tooled up for UConnect5 and they probably do not have many UConnect4 in the warehouses that are not slotted for new 2021 builds.

Some of us bought the truck for the 12”, but now it seems we are driving around with an electrical/UI (UConnect4) that is on life support.

The BS I had to deal with between the dealer and FCA was the last straw for me. Bought 5 FCA vehicles (3 Rams/2 Jeep’s) in the last 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if we can swap the 12” uconnect 4 hardware with a new 12” uconnect 5 hardware.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When mine craps out(if/when?) I will most likely move over to the Tesla style. Cheaper than factory by several grand.

ZWNAV Android 9.0 Tesla Car Stereo for Dodge Ram 1500 2014-2019, HD Screen, Car GPS Navigation Head Unit, DSP, Support Carplay, Android Auto, Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi, Fast Boot​

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
When mine craps out(if/when?) I will most likely move over to the Tesla style. Cheaper than factory by several grand.

ZWNAV Android 9.0 Tesla Car Stereo for Dodge Ram 1500 2014-2019, HD Screen, Car GPS Navigation Head Unit, DSP, Support Carplay, Android Auto, Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi, Fast Boot​

This one is for 4th gen...

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA famous last words "Update coming next quarter" I truly think they are going to use this until all the warranties expire on trucks with these radios or folks give up and stop complaining. I'm sure an update will come sooner later but as we come to end of uconnect 4 updates are probably going to be non existent in the near future IMO.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Techna

Reaction score
On another Ram forum came across the Linkswell that is 4th and 5th gen Rams.
Other than a few questions, I would be looking at it if/when mine goes out.
I think they are out of California.
At the bottom of the page unfortunately:
*THIS RADIO IS INCOMPATIBLE ON RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH THE FACTORY 12″ SCREEN OPTION*”

Nukegm426

Reaction score
With the entire truck integrated into the screen I don’t see how anything but a factory rep lament is going to work correctly... I’ve read other posts where they consider a nonfunctional radio something that makes the truck undriveable because of the safety features that can only be accessed through the radio.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But at least someone is working on an answer to a design problem. Hopefully something will come along in the near future that can replace the 12" when they crap out.

Frankie11

Reaction score
Quick update:

FCA Uconnect Engineer advised today that the major software update has started rolling out as an over the air update. Apparently this update will effect the “Application Version” when looking at your system information.

Last edited:

CMENT

Reaction score
Quick update:

FCA Uconnect Engineer advised today that the major software update has started rolling out as an over the air update. Apparently this update will effect the “Application Version” when looking at your system information.

Fingers crossed on this! This is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frankie11

Reaction score
So after three cold mornings in a row of my touchscreen functioning properly, it appears my issues have been resolved. However, I was never prompted to install a software update like I have been in the past, so whether it was some sort of over the air patch/bug fix as opposed to a full software update, I do not know.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after three cold mornings in a row of my touchscreen functioning properly, it appears my issues have been resolved. However, I was never prompted to install a software update like I have been in the past, so whether it was some sort of over the air patch/bug fix as opposed to a full software update, I do not know.
I doubt anything was installed prior to given you prompt of available update. You could check firmware version just to double check. My money is just one of those 12" radio bugs that come and go without explanation.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jcvertin

Reaction score
My screen seems to be fixed now as well. Been -5 consistently for the past week and no issues at all. Very surprised. It used to turn black if it was below 20 out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread