5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown squeak

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Have been dealing with an unknown belt like squeak for about 20,000 kms or so. Had it at the dealer a while ago and they identified it as the belt tensioner pulley being defective. Changed it out, noise still there. Last few thousand kms it has gotten worse and more persistent. Stopped by today to have them have another look/listen and they said it’s coming from the water pump. The water pump is on a pulley at the very top front of the engine. They will be ordering and replacing it. Still under warranty for a few thousand kms. Hopefully that solves it.
Anyone else have a similar issue? Doesn’t seem very common.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Are you only hearing the squeak applying / releasing the accelerator ?
I have a super annoying squeak that I found myself, there is a valve in the exhaust that actuates under certain conditions such as mentioned above. I hit it with some penetrating oil and it will stop for a while until it burns off. The valve is right where the bed meet the cab on my short bed crew bad.

Going to have to take it in and have the dealer handle it.

Last edited:

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
I typically hear it at idle. Maybe it is there under acceleration/deceleration but I’m not hearing it. Water pump was replaced 2 weeks ago and it seems to have solved the issue.

Reactions: c3k

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Are you only hearing the squeak applying / releasing the accelerator ?
I have a super annoying squeak that I found myself, there is a valve in the exhaust that actuates under certain conditions such as mentioned above. I hit it with some penetrating oil and it will stop for a while until it burns off. The valve is right where the bed meet the cab on my short bed crew bad.

Going to have to take it in and have the dealer handle it.
Did you have this fixed? My 2020 is also doing this!

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
The water pump was replaced and is fine now. But now I have a weird squeak coming from underneath the truck. Can’t identify exactly from what part. It sounds tin-like. Happens under initial truck lurking from a stop. Doesn’t happen when truck is cold started. Especially present during reversal into my driveway. I thought it was maybe an exhaust shield rubbing against something but didn’t find anything. My next thing I’m thinking about is possibly something to do with propeller shaft. Just not sure where to look and what to look for. Truck is a 2020 ED rebel.

reman

Reaction score
Wow, I am in the same boat - darn squeak after I stop or after putting the truck in drive. I have a scheduled a dealer visit next week for it and other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread