5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unexpected Height Measurement

Scott_R

Reaction score
I will try to be brief in description, and I think this is the right forum...

• New '22 Long Horn with a delivery in November. (Love the truck)
    • Details in sig, including 3.92 axle.
    • Replaced Pirelli's General ATs with better tread and life expectancy.
    • GCWR 11322
    • No issues noticed during purchase.
For a trip to Orlando, I rented a 2019 Keystone Bullet Premier with a dry weight of 6,500 and a hitch weight of 480. I also purchased an Equalizer 1/10K hitch (SKU: 90-00-1069). The trailer towed great and no handling concerns. (Even thru two winter storms.)

Here is where it gets interesting...

Following the Equalizer instructions and postings on this forum, I took wheel measurements with and without the load being under tension. Initially, everything looked great. I could have possibly added more tension, however the hitch clearly did it's job.

However, after following the full measuring recommendations, I discovered that the Left and Right Rear wheel heights were different. This seems to be more apparent with weight, however even empty there is a difference.

The full table is below. Could this be an indication that my suspension is incorrect and should be inspected by the dealer?

No Trailer
Trailer with Stabilizer Tension
Trailer without Tension
RR38 -5/838 -1/236 -1/4
LR38 -3/837 -1/235 -1/2
RF36 -7/836 -1/237 -1/4
LF36 -7/836 -1/237 -1/4
* Measured from ground to center point of fender.
** Empty Truck in level garage
*** Straight wheel, no contents in truck bed

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen lots of posts about trucks that are different one side to the other in the forum and with other brands on the TFL channel etc. I'm guessing you're fine but maybe others have better info!

Scott_R

Reaction score
I've seen lots of posts about trucks that are different one side to the other in the forum and with other brands on the TFL channel etc. I'm guessing you're fine but maybe others have better info!
I expect so, and unloaded there is only a 1/2" difference. NBD likely, as 90% of the time I will not be hauling much more then groceries. I'm still kind of interested to see how common this might be, and if I might expect unusual tire wear or other effects.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I find it odd the front is the same.
My truck is .5" lower on the drivers side front and rear.
Its very common for the drivers side to be lower.

Possibly having to do with the grade of the road while driving and keeping the truck a little more level.

Fuel tank is also on the drivers side.

There are lots of posts about it when people get to measuring for their level kits and whatnot.

Scott_R

Reaction score
I find it odd the front is the same.
My truck is .5" lower on the drivers side front and rear.
Its very common for the drivers side to be lower.

Possibly having to do with the grade of the road while driving and keeping the truck a little more level.

Fuel tank is also on the drivers side.

There are lots of posts about it when people get to measuring for their level kits and whatnot.
Thanks for the feedback/confirmation. Fuel could very well account for the difference.

The truck only has 3K miles on it, so I hope that driving isn't the concern!

Users who are viewing this thread