5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect Worth It?

F35Driver

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here. I'm stationed overseas and I'm building out my retirement gift to myself for when I move back to the states (will actually save money based on the vehicle shortage). I'm looking at the 1500 Laramie w/ 5.7 V8 Hemi (not the eTorque). I'm back and forth between the Level 1 and Level 2 packages. Besides the nav (which I don't need), rear heated seats (which my kids don't get unless they pay with their allowance), and Harman Karden speakers, the only thing I see for the extra ~$2k is the Uconnect that comes with the 8.4" and 12" nav.

For those with Uconnect, is it worth it? I've read a crap ton of reviews about the problems with Uconnect, but that's usually how it is with these forums unless it's amazing. Anyways, any insight or thoughts as I build out my retirement gift? Thanks!

While I don't want to derail this thread, any other thoughts on features to buy or avoid are very welcome for a first-time Ram buyer (and first time truck owner)!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
All infotainment systems in any FCA(Stellantis) vehicles are uConnect.
You just have different models, uConnect 3(5" DS MODELS), 4 and for 2022, UC5.
If you're getting a 2022 Ram, you'll get uConnect 5, whether you want it or not..
Features are up to you, if you don't have to have them, don't get them. Less initial cost and less things to break down over the years.

F35Driver

Reaction score
If you're getting a 2022 Ram, you'll get uConnect 5, whether you want it or not..
Features are up to you, if you don't have to have them, don't get them. Less initial cost and less things to break down over the years.
awesome, thank you! I didn't know that they all came wit Uconnect.

Reaction score
Thank you for your service and congrats on your retirement and future new truck! One of the options I would highly recommend would be the 33 gallon fuel tank.

I personally enjoy the HK sound and Navigation. Some say the HK is garbage but I have no issues with it. ( I am no sound junkie).

You made a good choice skipping the Etorque in my opinion.

Airbearmd

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here. I'm stationed overseas and I'm building out my retirement gift to myself for when I move back to the states (will actually save money based on the vehicle shortage). I'm looking at the 1500 Laramie w/ 5.7 V8 Hemi (not the eTorque). I'm back and forth between the Level 1 and Level 2 packages. Besides the nav (which I don't need), rear heated seats (which my kids don't get unless they pay with their allowance), and Harman Karden speakers, the only thing I see for the extra ~$2k is the Uconnect that comes with the 8.4" and 12" nav.

For those with Uconnect, is it worth it? I've read a crap ton of reviews about the problems with Uconnect, but that's usually how it is with these forums unless it's amazing. Anyways, any insight or thoughts as I build out my retirement gift? Thanks!

While I don't want to derail this thread, any other thoughts on features to buy or avoid are very welcome for a first-time Ram buyer (and first time truck owner)!
Sounds familiar. I was set to retire in 2016 and promised myself a sweet retirement gift. I had always had small chevy and nissan pickups and yearned for a full size 4X4 cause we were retiring to the beach and I love surf fishing. My wife and I spent a great deal of time shopping trucks and it came down to the fully loaded F150 and the RAM Limited. The RAM beat the F150 hands down in comfort, styling and performance. I wasn't buying a truck for gas mileage so that didn't enter into it. We choose the Limited 5.6 bed because it comes loaded including the 12" Uconnect. We purchased a new 2018, which was the rollout for the 12" Uconnect (I was told). We initially had all sorts of strange problems associated with the software. I sort of expected that with new technology. I guess we went through 6 or 7 firmware updates, and a year later all issues were solved. I would think by now they have all the kinks worked out. We absolutely love the truck. The folding steps and multi level air suspension is a god send for many occasions. The interior comfort and ride is luxury on steroids! Do yourself a big favor and get the kitchen sink if you can afford, so you won't look back and say, "I should have...."

F35Driver

Reaction score
Thank you for your service and congrats on your retirement and future new truck! One of the options I would highly recommend would be the 33 gallon fuel tank.

I personally enjoy the HK sound and Navigation. Some say the HK is garbage but I have no issues with it. ( I am no sound junkie).

You made a good choice skipping the Etorque in my opinion.
Thanks FJB!!19limited! Trust me, I keep going back and forth on the HK system! I've always been a sucker for loud, crisp music. The reality is I'll probably be blasting Kidz Bop radio on it as I drop my kids off at school! Def getting the 33 gal fuel tank as my "bug out" plan for when the world goes to $hit.

F35Driver

Reaction score
Sounds familiar. I was set to retire in 2016 and promised myself a sweet retirement gift. I had always had small chevy and nissan pickups and yearned for a full size 4X4 cause we were retiring to the beach and I love surf fishing. My wife and I spent a great deal of time shopping trucks and it came down to the fully loaded F150 and the RAM Limited. The RAM beat the F150 hands down in comfort, styling and performance. I wasn't buying a truck for gas mileage so that didn't enter into it. We choose the Limited 5.6 bed because it comes loaded including the 12" Uconnect. We purchased a new 2018, which was the rollout for the 12" Uconnect (I was told). We initially had all sorts of strange problems associated with the software. I sort of expected that with new technology. I guess we went through 6 or 7 firmware updates, and a year later all issues were solved. I would think by now they have all the kinks worked out. We absolutely love the truck. The folding steps and multi level air suspension is a god send for many occasions. The interior comfort and ride is luxury on steroids! Do yourself a big favor and get the kitchen sink if you can afford, so you won't look back and say, "I should have...."
You're the devil on my shoulder! I've considered going "all-in" and leaving no option out of the vehicle. I have looked a lot at the Limited, and it actually doesn't seem to be that much more expensive once you factor in the add-ins for the Laramie that I'd want to get. That said, I am also going to need to find a job and buy a house so the conservative side of me is telling me to buy a bicycle instead of a truck! Love the 12" screen, love the comfort of the Ram. I appreciate the advice and I'll let you know what I go with!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, you can't derail your own thread, especially since the subject doesn't apply anyway. Lol

As far as features, get what you want, not what you need otherwise you'll just end up regretting it later. To me, the 12" screen with nav is a must. I don't use the nav much, but when I'm in an unfamiliar neighborhood and traffic is going to crap, it sure is nice to look up at that gigantic screen and find an easy escape route. In my old truck, I would end up turning down a dead end road or some looping road that was worse than staying in the traffic jam.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely get the 12". New models have Uconnect5 now. Being first model year with new system, there are quite a few bugs still being worked out. But that's for both the 8.4 and the 12". I have the Built to Serve edition with Alpine system. I love the sound. From my reading, the Alpine has more bass, the Harmon Kardon has less bass, but is "cleaner". You can swap out some speakers in the Alpine system and clean up the sound without losing the bass.

I never use factory Nav. It's just an out dated, clunky system. Not sure if the Nav changed much for Uconnect5. I just plug in my phone and use Google maps with android auto when I need navigation.

As someone else mentioned, get what you want. Or you will either regret it, or spend more money after the fact adding it on. Only option I would say not buy and just add in later, if you want it, is the trailer brake controller. It's cheaper to add on after the fact.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only option I would say not buy and just add in later, if you want it, is the trailer brake controller. It's cheaper to add on after the fact.
I paid $273 for the trailer brake controller in my build. I just looked up the price of the controller with a 15% discount and it's $317. Then he would have to install it and buy AlfaOBD for another $100 to activate it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I paid $273 for the trailer brake controller in my build. I just looked up the price of the controller with a 15% discount and it's $317. Then he would have to install it and buy AlfaOBD for another $100 to activate it.
Unless it's different for 2022, or prices have gone up that much, I got mine for $130, installed myself. And alfaOBD isnt $100

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And I guess it's close to $90 for alfaobd

Bafx Products - For Android Only... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SecosAutoparts Cable Adaptor Compatible with Chrysler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector Compatible with Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 906 908 PRO Elite Autel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MXDG17...t_i_BWHPFS0240MVMHZBE0C1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot about eBay. I bought my TPMS sensors on eBay and saved a ton of money vs buying through Mopar. That looks like a legit seller too.
It's the seller I got mine from.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
that may be true if you have the navigation system
mine is called ram connect because it does not have the navigation

Users who are viewing this thread