5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect wifi - do you subscribe?

BNeal

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you subscribe to your trucks wifi (for those that have it available). If so, why, if not, why not?

cmr287

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you subscribe to your trucks wifi (for those that have it available). If so, why, if not, why not?

I have it available and don’t subscribe.

Why? I have my phone that has unlimited data/ net as well as an AT&T and Verizon hot spots that both provide me coverage anywhere I am. I don’t need another subscription to spend cash on.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't have the option, but my phone can become a wifi hotspot if I need one

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't, because a) I don't know anything about it, b) my phone seems to suit me fine, and c) I don't drive the truck much right now during the week. When I retire from my second job, I will be in the truck more often so we will see.

EDIT: I just looked it up. 50 bucks a month for a 3G hotspot. I don't think I'll be paying for that any time soon.

Quint

Reaction score
I haven't noticed it as an option in my '21 Bighorn with 8.4 non-Nav. This is the exact same setup as my 2015 Bighorn with 8.4 non-Nav, but that did have the 3G wifi option.

Am I just missing it somewhere, or did they move it only to the Navigation trucks?

I am an the same cell plan as my boss and his wife, so I can't turn on hotspot without getting auto-text messages that we are over the limit. I would use the truck's wifi here and there if available.

RJS

Reaction score
I pay buy the year for the wifi which is AT&T at $200. I don't have an unlimited cell plan but when I'm in my truck I like to stream Amazon HD music which eats minutes as well as my wife on the computer. The wifi plan makes sense for me and keeps my total cell service costs under $35/mo for what I use.

RJS

Reaction score
I pay buy the year for the wifi which is AT&T at $200. I don't have an unlimited cell plan but when I'm in my truck I like to stream Amazon HD music which eats minutes as well as my wife on the computer. The wifi plan makes sense for me and keeps my total cell service costs under $35/mo for what I use.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have it but only for the free introductory period. I didn't have to provide a credit card to activate the free period so I agree to it. After three and a half weeks I haven't used it yet LOL.

BNeal

Reaction score
The reason I posted this question is, I'm considering dumping SXM and going with an HD streaming music service, but I don't have an unlimited plan with Verizon and assume I would chew through the bandwidth pretty fast streaming through my phone. The wifi thing just seems really expensive.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I can give you a more rounded answer as to why you would need it and why it’s a pain in the ***. One of you travel with kids that are sucking up all your faster speed internet. I have Verizon unlimited. Best plan you can’t get. You have so much super fast speed internet than it slows so this will help you. What won’t help you is if you frequently shut your truck off but remain in it to use your internet browser. It takes a few minutes to disconnect from your WiFi so you cannot use apps or internet without going to settings and toggling off WiFi. Just for a few minutes. Same time your truck takes to not play radio or power your windows when you shut the truck off.

dandar

Reaction score
It's good for road trips because AT&T signal coverage is good and antenna in the truck is strong. Other than that I wouldn't bother as the price is just not worth it.

834k3r

Reaction score
I have it available and don’t subscribe.

Why? I have my phone that has unlimited data/ net as well as an AT&T and Verizon hot spots that both provide me coverage anywhere I am. I don’t need another subscription to spend cash on.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same. Except my name's not Chris. ;)

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to take advantage of the 3 month free trial for 1GB of data. For our road trip home, my GF and I are each bringing laptops so we'll use it for email replies. I have tethering on my iPhone but I can't share with her without unplugging it from CarPlay (based on what I've read) so I activated the free plan. I'd probably enable it if I had a few kids pre-teen that had iPads and we were going to take a long road trip then it may make sense to have the whole car be a hotspot.

Terb59

Reaction score
I added RAM WiFi to my AT&T plan. $20/month unlimited data. Just take my money!!!! I've used it when I'm traveling or working away from the home office.

Tmcnrd

Reaction score
Yes, cell is spotty and with the pickup wifi using AT&T and having a Verizon phone that does wifi calling increases coverage greatly.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those worried about streaming audio eating data, check you plan. Many plans allow you to stream audio without affecting your data cap.

My truck offers the hotspot, but I won't use it. Just like I don't use the radio subscription.

If I had kids or travelled for work, sure. For my use, my phone's data plan is adequate.

Maxx102

Reaction score
I have a 21 Bighorn and I was given an option to try out the hotspot that is built into my truck....1 gig of data is what I think it was. I would easily go through that within a few days so I never turned it on.

While a hot spot is nice to have if you have non-cellular devices like a tablet with Wi-Fi only, I don't think it's worth it. The subscription that I have with T-Mobile is a bundled pack with unlimited text and data and I'm on 5g in most areas and my iphone can become a wifi hotspot if I want it to be. Also, I am not 100% certain on this, but I would think that imbedded technology like the hotspot would be limited to 3G or 4G and not upgradable to 5G.

Users who are viewing this thread