5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect screen getting hot

GregW68

Reaction score
Good day all,

My wife has complained to me that the 8.4" screen in her truck gets to hot to touch. I searched through the forums and on the interweb for others with this issue. I found some Jeep owners that have had a similar issue but no Ram owners. Has anyone here experienced this issue ? If you did was there any solution? We bought the truck last July but this issue has only started in the last month or so. We do not have navigation with our system.

Any help appreciated,

greg

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember when i drove a loaner 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn, the screen is hot for me too but because is loaner so i didn't bother me, sorry can't help you with anythig.

GregW68

Reaction score
So here's the update. Dropped the truck at the dealer. They were able to recreate the hot screen. Measured the temperature at 153 degrees. That was 3 days ago. The tech contacted STAR and they are waiting for confirmation of something from STAR. This is my first Dodge Truck. What the heck is STAR ? Seems odd that the problem has been identified but someone else has to let the dealer know if/how to fix the issue .

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
S.T.A.R Situation, Task, Action, Result.

That is how FCA work, there are alot of parts in the list that required approval before dealer can replace it.

GregW68

Reaction score
S.T.A.R Situation, Task, Action, Result.

That is how FCA work, there are alot of parts in the list that required approval before dealer can replace it.
Thanks. Strange to me. Hopefully I'll get the truck back by Friday. A week to replace an obvious broken part seems extreme to me.

clintoris

Reaction score
So, I had this come up, but it's not just the screen.
I have a 12" screen, and I have some funny behavior that I think all ties together.
Issue 1:
Every once in a while - from the first month I had my truck, the climate control will just shut off. It's when I come to a stop (typically leaving my hood, stop at the stop sign). It seems like the trans doesn't want to kick down either....so it's sort of pushing while I'm trying to stop. The trans will finally kick down into 1, but at the same time, the air shuts off very abruptly. the controls say it's on. I have to turn off the climate and then turn it back on and it works as though nothing happened.
Issue 2:
about 6 months ago, my trans seemed to "learn" some bad behavior. I know the PCM is adaptive so it will learn and adjust to my driving. It used to be very crisp and clean when it would shift. I appreciated it very much, coming from slushy Ford transmissions. but it started to get very lazy in between shifts.. they stopped being so crisp and it seemed to slip the clutches... and it doesn't want to down shift when coming to a stop. I'll leave a stop and it will seem to want to start in third gear unless I get pretty deep in the pedal. I have speed humps in my neighborhood which I slow down for, but when I'm accelerating, rather than kick down to 2nd, it wants to stay in 3 or 4, and it will accelerate while the RPMs stay flat - which is exactly what kills autos. I took it into the dealer, they flashed the trans with an update for a TSB. They did not reset the computer to factory, so the bad learned behavior - if it is that, still persists.
Issue 3:
Screen gets very hot. I thought at first it was just Florida. But even when the truck is ice cold inside, the screen is hot sometimes.

I noticed the other day that when my truck is acting up.. .the shift knob is hot. So I checked the screen, it's also hot at the same time.

correlation? I don't know. But what I have observed is that when it happens to 1, it's happening to all.

I haven't taken it back in. I hate to do the whole rental car BS and they say they can't find any issues, etc. So I'm trying to learn what I can first to see what others might have found be the cause and solution.

Users who are viewing this thread