5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Box Error and Connected Services Not Working

benb1976

Reaction score
7 month old 2022 Ram 1500 owner here. Ive been dealing with the 8.4" Non Nav, Uconnect Box Error problem with Ram Connected Services support for a few weeks now, with no solutions yet. Below is a summary of my symptoms. I've done alot of research here and on my own and found that likely issues are the software needs updating, but OTA connections are not happening, as well as maybe an issue with Global Telematics Box Module not being configured correctly (or problems with both). I only got the Box Error message after the fix was performed for the Rear View Camera TSB. Have brought into the dealer, but they havent provided a solution, nor has Ram Connected Services provided a solution. I do have a thread with @RamCares with this Issue. Wondering here if anyone else is experience the totality of my issues here? Seems like replacing both Uconnect Box and TBM, along with a proper config of the telematics module

My symptoms:
After power-on, "Uconnect Box Error" message appears on screen, message must be then manually closed to operate Radio
Attempting to open the Wifi App causes the same "Uconnect Box Error" message, Wifi Hotspot doesn't work regartdless of being on plan
No SOS or Communication is possible by pressing the buttons (Both buttons have red light persisting)
Ram App is not detecting GPS location of vehicle
Ram App does not show any telematic provided data
Ram App no longer shows any detail about my Truck after updating to latest version of Ram App

Sirius XM does in fact work.

Troubleshooting steps recommended by support however still do not work:
Active AT&T Wifi Trial setup
Reset ECU
Soft Reset of Uconnect
Hard Reset of Uconnect
Idle in open area with GPS for 10-20 min, wait for OTA

I found this below doc for Jeep which made me think this is an issue with not just the telematics module, but the actual configuration of it, however not sure. There are some trouble shooting steps listed here that seem interesting, wondering also about any thoughts on this.

Specifically the step that says "ignition-on and hold it for at least 10 minutes", Im wondering if that can apply to a Ram, and if this means just keep the "Ignition on" for 20 minutes, or if Im supposed to hold something pressed in for 10 minutes? Anyhow, hoping to find a resolution to this:

Attachments

• IMG_0978.PNG
    IMG_0978.PNG
    144.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image_123927839.JPG
    image_123927839.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
7 month old 2022 Ram 1500 owner here. Ive been dealing with the 8.4" Non Nav, Uconnect Box Error problem with Ram Connected Services support for a few weeks now, with no solutions yet. Below is a summary of my symptoms. I've done alot of research here and on my own and found that likely issues are the software needs updating, but OTA connections are not happening, as well as maybe an issue with Global Telematics Box Module not being configured correctly (or problems with both). I only got the Box Error message after the fix was performed for the Rear View Camera TSB. Have brought into the dealer, but they havent provided a solution, nor has Ram Connected Services provided a solution. I do have a thread with @RamCares with this Issue. Wondering here if anyone else is experience the totality of my issues here? Seems like replacing both Uconnect Box and TBM, along with a proper config of the telematics module

My symptoms:
After power-on, "Uconnect Box Error" message appears on screen, message must be then manually closed to operate Radio
Attempting to open the Wifi App causes the same "Uconnect Box Error" message, Wifi Hotspot doesn't work regartdless of being on plan
No SOS or Communication is possible by pressing the buttons (Both buttons have red light persisting)
Ram App no longer shows any detail about my Truck after updating to latest version of Ram App

Reset ECU
Soft Reset of Uconnect
Hard Reset of Uconnect

I found this below doc for Jeep which made me think this is an issue with not just the telematics module, but the actual configuration of it, however not sure. There are some trouble shooting steps listed here that seem interesting, wondering also about any thoughts on this.

Specifically the step that says "ignition-on and hold it for at least 10 minutes", Im wondering if that can apply to a Ram, and if this means just keep the "Ignition on" for 20 minutes, or if Im supposed to hold something pressed in for 10 minutes? Anyhow, hoping to find a resolution to this:

Hello,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Please send us a PM, our team would be happy to dig further into this for you.

William
Ram Cares

deco

Reaction score

My symptoms:

Reset ECU
Soft Reset of Uconnect
Hard Reset of Uconnect

Hi, Did your Uconnect error issue ever get resolved? I began receiving the same error message last month and other symptoms similar to those described in your post (e.g. Assist and SOS buttons on persistent red). When I contacted my local dealer, the service rep told me this is a known issue and that an OTA update will come out in the fourth quarter.

benb1976

Reaction score
When you get all these symptoms it means your vehicle can't even poll for an over the air update because these symptoms are due to lack of cloud and satellite connectivity. After my initial trip to the dealer they scanned my vehicle and shrugged it off and said an OTA update will come, I opened an official case to start tracking my progress, all the while an OTA update never came (of course it didn't because the truck can't connect out). An update never came and I kept taking it back for oil changes complaining on the same issue, and they said the same thing twice. After a third time I took it in to show no updates came then they said this is a known issue likely with hardware, and they would have to keep my truck for warranty diagnostics to prove this issue to order a warranty part. They keep it for 9 days as I have a busy dealer, but I was reimbursed for a rental car which was ok. They came back to me and said they ordered a new Telematics Box Module (TBM), which took about two weeks to arrive, then they swapped it in and all was good. Fast forward to now everything works as it should, I've received at least two OTA updates so that fixed my problem. Unfortunately the dealers and the manufacturers play dumb on this issue and waste everyone's time, allowing sentiment for the brand to wane, and it's plagued so many people too (as well as poor AC performance even on '22 models). Perhaps if you go in with all the symptoms and say you probably need a new Telematics box module it'll help target the conversation so you don't have to waste as many months as I did.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi, Did your Uconnect error issue ever get resolved? I began receiving the same error message last month and other symptoms similar to those described in your post (e.g. Assist and SOS buttons on persistent red). When I contacted my local dealer, the service rep told me this is a known issue and that an OTA update will come out in the fourth quarter.
Hi deco,

A couple of TBM updates were recently released but we're happy to help take a look into your end for you. Feel welcome to send our team a PM with your VIN and we can check your vehicle information from there.

Steph
Ram Cares

$Bill

Reaction score
Is there a way to manually get OTA updates? I looked around but didn’t see anything in settings in the truck. I’d at least like to know I’m running the latest software.

I get the error every time I start the truck and also while driving. I haven’t addressed it with the dealer yet.

benb1976

Reaction score
Is there a way to manually get OTA update? I looked around but didn’t see anything in settings in the truck. I’d at least like to know I’m running the latest software.

I get the error every time I start the truck and also while driving. I haven’t addressed it with the dealer yet.

Not on the 5th gen from what I have researched on my own before finally getting it replaced at the dealer. Either the Radio unit's Uconnect OS software has to be updated via OTA which requires your TBM to function properly or the dealer has to do it which also requires a TBM that functions properly since from what I know they use a Web interface to connect and program everything, even the TBM if replaced needs to be programmed by the dealer in the first place via the Web console to get it working. Worth it to call Stellantis and open a case then go to the dealer and use that as their motivation to get it resolved.

There is always this link but it never worked for me, and was used to get me to go away and wait, but until I opened a case the dealer didn't make much of an effort to help beyond telling me to 'wait'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$Bill

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply! Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

The link told me the truck’s software is up to date.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Not on the 5th gen from what I have researched on my own before finally getting it replaced at the dealer. Either the Radio unit's Uconnect OS software has to be updated via OTA which requires your TBM to function properly or the dealer has to do it which also requires a TBM that functions properly since from what I know they use a Web interface to connect and program everything, even the TBM if replaced needs to be programmed by the dealer in the first place via the Web console to get it working. Worth it to call Stellantis and open a case then go to the dealer and use that as their motivation to get it resolved.

There is always this link but it never worked for me, and was used to get me to go away and wait, but until I opened a case the dealer didn't make much of an effort to help beyond telling me to 'wait'.

can you post a picture with the current version number?

benb1976

Reaction score
can you post a picture with the current version number?

ab9fc99a409ca68e51dca6dfe6848611.jpg

Here's mine

$Bill

Reaction score
Sorry. Been out of town without the truck. Got back yesterday.

Had an appointment today for the first oil change and tire rotation. The dealer also said the version is current. Lots of customers with the issue. I was told an update should be coming in Q4. @RamCares would you know if this is correct?

benb1976

Reaction score
Sorry. Been out of town without the truck. Got back yesterday.

Had an appointment today for the first oil change and tire rotation. The dealer also said the version is current. Lots of customers with the issue. I was told an update should be coming in Q4. @RamCares would you know if this is correct?

I'd open a formal case first using the info in the link below if you want to save your time. Once I did that I stopped getting the runaround.

Anyone Seen "Uconnect Box Requires Service"?

Stellantis Case Management
[email protected]
1-800-826-6632 ext. 3026215 (Gabriel

$Bill

Reaction score
I’m waiting to see how they handle the issue they caused before doing that. My first visit to the service department there. I give people a chance first.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
My truck has been in a couple of times, I was first told it was an OTA software update and a month later still nothing. Then they said it was the telematics box and ordered one. They said it’s back ordered and we’re waiting. It’s be 3-4 weeks now. RAMCARES contacted me regarding this as I sent in a message and they said they would expedite the module. I’m waiting to hear when it comes in. I also just received an OTA update and I still get the same error message.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @$Bill

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Bill. Our team would like to look into this further. Please send us a private message with your VIN and software version, so we can further assist you.

Gia
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @Dyeelitt

Thank you for bringing your concerns forth. We would like to document your experience. For us to best assist you, please send us your VIN and software version.

Gia
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @benb1976

Please send us a private message with your VIN and current software version. We would like to document your concerns and take a closer look. Thank you.

Gia
Ram Cares

thebigalboski

Reaction score
My 23 has had the “UConnect Box Requires Service” message for about a month, and now the blind spot alert is going out. buying a new truck and getting multiple errors every time you start it is a bit frustrating.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck from the dealer. They replaced the telematics module. All is good. Took 6+ weeks to get the module. When I get back I can post what they wrote up.

Users who are viewing this thread