5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 8.4 Display Problems - Locked Screen

Desmond

Reaction score
Anyone with a "new" style 2019 RAM 1500 having issues with the 8.4" Display ?
My truck is 7 weeks old, 2004 km on it now, and I had a couple intermittent screen lockups on it, however in this last week the screen has locked up sporadically several times.
ie screen shows the Sirius channel and song I was listening to, then doesn't change... doesn't go black, just displays the screen at the point it "locked"..., absolutely no response to touching the screen. I can use the rotary dials to change temps etc, but it doesn't display on the screen as it should, if I backup the backup camera doesn't display, if I use the volume or channels control on steering wheel it doesn't display on screen...
Shutting off truck doesn't help (though it's worked the next day I get in truck), though it eventually locks again - no apparent consistency, wasn't using phone or Bluetooth or usb connections.
Contacted Uconnect - they confirm the software is up-to-date, told me to take to dealer. I also looked on-line, however the "soft-reboots" methods I found didn't work / restart the system.
Took it to Derrick Dodge this morning - will see what they come back with.
Desmond

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has been experiencing issues also, as have many others. There are some similar issues but most are experiencing their own combination of problems. FCA says it's a uConnect problem and that there's a software update pending for that. I bought my truck back in March and they told me it should be out by April. I took my truck in for warranty work in late April and they said the uConnect update will be out by the end of June (2nd quarter). I took my truck in for warranty work in July and they told me the uConnect update should be out by the end of September (3rd quarter). Recently I read that the uConnect update will be out by the end of the year (4th quarter)...so your guess is as good as mine when it will actually be released.

Even though the uConnect update seems to be a unicorn there is something you can have done. The radio/8.4" has software from FCA to run it. Have your dealership make sure that it's the latest revision. You can use TSB 08-003-19 REV. B as your reason for it. It's a TSB for radio/backup camera issues. I've seen a copy of it floating around here somewhere but don't remember where I saw it.

Desmond

Reaction score
Mine has been experiencing issues also, as have many others. There are some similar issues but most are experiencing their own combination of problems. FCA says it's a uConnect problem and that there's a software update pending for that. I bought my truck back in March and they told me it should be out by April. I took my truck in for warranty work in late April and they said the uConnect update will be out by the end of June (2nd quarter). I took my truck in for warranty work in July and they told me the uConnect update should be out by the end of September (3rd quarter). Recently I read that the uConnect update will be out by the end of the year (4th quarter)...so your guess is as good as mine when it will actually be released.

Even though the uConnect update seems to be a unicorn there is something you can have done. The radio/8.4" has software from FCA to run it. Have your dealership make sure that it's the latest revision. You can use TSB 08-003-19 REV. B as your reason for it. It's a TSB for radio/backup camera issues. I've seen a copy of it floating around here somewhere but don't remember where I saw it.
So - the dealer had my truck for 6 hours - called me up this afternoon and said it had been fixed. Here's their worklog verbatim:

Cause: Radio software out of Date
Correction: Verified concern, found TSB0804S19, downloaded and extracted radio update for UCV Radio to USB stick. Ran USB software update procedure, updated 21.09 to 21.10. Update Successful.

So it looks like I had a September 2019 update, but there was an October 2019 version that they forced install.

Will see if this resolves it - it had better. Desmond

kittyjo

Reaction score
Mine is completely locked when in uconnect mode and now it won’t shut off...

Desmond

Reaction score
Well... though Dodge did the Oct 2019 update to the Uconnect system Friday Oct 25...

Last night Oct 27, it locked up, I was out and about and when I shut down truck and back in about 5 minutes and it resumed working properly.
This morning Oct 28, it locked up after about 20 minutes driving. Was locked for about 20 more minutes - shutting down the truck didn't resolve, however eventually it just seemed to "reboot" itself - the Dodge logo came up and the unit was back operational again.

So looks like the update may not have resolved it, or Uconnect is pushing another update???

Users who are viewing this thread