5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 8.4 Display Locked Up

Desmond

Reaction score
Anyone with a "new" style 2019 RAM 1500 having issues with the 8.4" Display ?
My truck is 7 weeks old, 2004 km on it now, and I had a couple intermittent screen lockups on it, however in this last week the screen has locked up sporadically several times.
ie screen shows the Sirius channel and song I was listening to, then doesn't change... doesn't go black, just displays the screen at the point it "locked"..., absolutely no response to touching the screen. I can use the rotary dials to change temps etc, but it doesn't display on the screen as it should, if I backup the backup camera doesn't display, if I use the volume or channels control on steering wheel it doesn't display on screen...
Shutting off truck doesn't help (though it's worked the next day I get in truck), though it eventually locks again - no apparent consistency, wasn't using phone or Bluetooth or usb connections.
Contacted Uconnect - they confirm the software is up-to-date, told me to take to dealer. I also looked on-line, however the "soft-reboots" methods I found didn't work / restart the system.
Took it to Derrick Dodge this morning - will see what they come back with.
Desmond

Prodat

Reaction score
I had 2 times a full lock up / freeze, after restarting engine nothing happend.

I disconnected the battery and waited about 10 minutes to reconnect, after that everything worked normal again EXCEPT screen will not dim anymore, this Thursday ram goes to the dealer for this issue.

Hassman

Reaction score
Yes! This week. Suddenly! What’s up? I finally pulled my battery and it seems better.

lcslouis

Reaction score
I have 2018 1500 bighorn with non nav 8.4 uconnect radio. Mine before current Update that was a OTA update the screen was unresponsive and backup camera would not work. After update when it locks up the backup camera actually works but screen otherwise unresponsive.

Because I put on a Mopar brake controller my self and programmed it myself the dealer is refusing to do any work on the radio and will only say that all I can do is replace the radio for $2000.

So they want me to pay for a new radio where Chrysler has been sued about and they are trying to say that it’s my fault.

And trading vehicle in is a non option. Dealer wants to put me in a 1500 that’s 1 year newer, has same problem also is a different color so I have to go without my work tools for a week and get fired because I can’t perform work because I have no tools and also raise my payment no thanks.

Waiting on response back from FCA corp as I have complained directly to the company about the dealership trying to screw me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesmac

Reaction score
My 20 Ram 1500 new style has had the issue for months. It generally goes away after I shut the engine down for 10 min, but obviously that can't be done while driving. Sometimes, the volume increases to very loud when it happens and it won't register me turning it down.
I have reported it 4 or 5 times and keep getting told by the dealer they aren't allowed to replace the head unit. I suppose that makes sense since the head unit is simply the interface and I suspect the main module is the culprit but they won't talk about that either. I keep getting told "wait for an update." Finally I got a case manager at FCA Canada, and although the issue hasn't been resolved, I am not allowing the case to close from my end until I am sure the issue has stopped. I haven't seen it in about 5 weeks now, so maybe?

jamesmac

Reaction score
I too had a case manager with FCA Canada and not only did I not get a resolution, he stopped calling to check. Still having all the same issues as you describe (have it on both my '20 Ram 1500 and my '20 Grand Cherokee). Dealer says the same "wait for update." I am guessing there is nothing coming to fix it since they say this has been an issue since about 18 and still ongoing 3 or 4 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread