5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 8.4 always reverts back to radio at startup

ranger3801

Reaction score
So i recently traded my 2014 ram for a 2019. I love the new truck with one exception. I always stream my music bluetooth from my phone when driving. On my 2014 ram as well as my 2018 chrysler 300 and my wife's 2017 Durango whenever I turn them off and get out, when I get back in and start them up they pick back up on the streaming music and keep playing automatically. However, on my new 2019 Ram, everytime I start the truck it is on FM radio. I have to go through about 3-4 button pushes on the radio everytime i start the truck up to get back to my streaming music from bluetooth connection. Please help !!!! this is very annoying, especially from a brand new $50k truck, the radio should work better than older models not worse.

bdm219

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I also only stream thru bluetooth. I can appreciate your annoyance of it reverting to FM/Sirus as the default. I'm not aware of an option to enable this either.

Bory278

Reaction score
I deal with the same issue and when I receive a call or a text it doesn't revert to the radio but stops playing the bluetooth audio.

Neglakayo

Reaction score
UConnect 8.4! Is there a way to have the screen show the clock when the system is off instead of a blank/black screen.

Rayzram

Reaction score
If you have memory seats make sure you are on what you normally listen to before hitting save. I changed to XM then saved my setting on the door memory, now whatever I am on it will revert to XM. If its on FM when you memory set it will revert back to FM, XM when memory set, reverts back to XM....etc

TCP

Reaction score
EDIT: This fixed it once for me, but apparently is a longer-term fix for another user. I'm having other issues with the vehicle that might be related and made a separate post for them.

---

Howdy all! First post. I called up the Uconnect customer service and got the fix to this problem.

Problem: Phone is connected via Bluetooth, playing music from phone to vehicle via Bluetooth. Turn vehicle off. Turn vehicle on, and audio reverts to FM radio.

Fix:

1. Sit in driver seat, doors closed, vehicle off.
2. Foot off the break, press start/stop button once to place vehicle in ACC mode.
3. Press the start/stop button twice to turn off vehicle.
4. Hold the Voice Recognition and Green Phone buttons on the steering wheel for 30 seconds, then let go.
5. Open the driver door for 30 seconds, or until the dash display cluster turns off - whichever comes first, then close the door.
6. Hold down the break pedal, and press the start/stop button to start the vehicle normally.

After I did step 6, my Uconnect system quickly flashed through several screens including what looked like a dial pad and the text "enter anti-theft code" (?). It still started in FM radio, but when I pressed the Media icon, it immediately went to Bluetooth (whereas in the past, I would have to hit the down arrow then select Bluetooth). I restarted the vehicle normally again, and this time it went straight to Bluetooth.

Let me know if you have any questions, or you can call Uconnect General Support here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/contact-us.html

They asked for the last 8 characters of my VIN and had me verify my name, address, and phone number (which I assume they got through RAM). Edit: The second guy asked for my address and email, then asked if I wanted to add my phone number, so I guess they weren't for verification, but to add to their records.

Last edited:

Chrisplm

Reaction score
I just did the above mentioned sequence and it worked like a charm. So glad to have found this. I've had my truck for a week and this was driving me nuts!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have memory seats make sure you are on what you normally listen to before hitting save. I changed to XM then saved my setting on the door memory, now whatever I am on it will revert to XM. If its on FM when you memory set it will revert back to FM, XM when memory set, reverts back to XM....etc
What Rayzram said.....if its set on memory it will always come back to the radio. I usually hit my memory button once a day to resume where I left off with both the UConnect and the seat adjustment.

TCP

Reaction score
My truck does not have memory seats.

Chrisplm, please let me know if the fix is permanent for you, or if it reverts back to radio later. Thanks.

TCP

Reaction score
They're replacing my radio, but I also had a couple of other issues: fluctating volume and green lines on back-up cam feed.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Worked for me... Annoying that it still starts in XM Radio, but it's much less annoying and less button presses to get to BT audio.

SColang22

Reaction score
EDIT: This fixed it once for me, but apparently is a longer-term fix for another user. I'm having other issues with the vehicle that might be related and made a separate post for them.

---

Howdy all! First post. I called up the Uconnect customer service and got the fix to this problem.

Problem: Phone is connected via Bluetooth, playing music from phone to vehicle via Bluetooth. Turn vehicle off. Turn vehicle on, and audio reverts to FM radio.

Fix:

2. Foot off the break, press start/stop button once to place vehicle in ACC mode.
4. Hold the Voice Recognition and Green Phone buttons on the steering wheel for 30 seconds, then let go.
5. Open the driver door for 30 seconds, or until the dash display cluster turns off - whichever comes first, then close the door.
6. Hold down the break pedal, and press the start/stop button to start the vehicle normally.

After I did step 6, my Uconnect system quickly flashed through several screens including what looked like a dial pad and the text "enter anti-theft code" (?). It still started in FM radio, but when I pressed the Media icon, it immediately went to Bluetooth (whereas in the past, I would have to hit the down arrow then select Bluetooth). I restarted the vehicle normally again, and this time it went straight to Bluetooth.

Let me know if you have any questions, or you can call Uconnect General Support here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/contact-us.html

They asked for the last 8 characters of my VIN and had me verify my name, address, and phone number (which I assume they got through RAM). Edit: The second guy asked for my address and email, then asked if I wanted to add my phone number, so I guess they weren't for verification, but to add to their records.
Will this work for the display theme? My dash 7" screen reverts to theme on every time while the 8.4 " display stays on the theme i set. Idk why the theme on the 7" screen keeps reverting back to theme 1.

Lize

Reaction score
I have Apple iPhone and in another car not uConnect (my Ram not been delivered yet) I have the same problem, it always used to connect straight away back to music and the problem started after an Apple update where Bluetooth is a now a lot slower to connect so the car reverts to radio as the phone appears to be missing. Just wondering if this could be part of the problem and by the time you press the memory seat the bluetooth has had chance to connect and hence the music then works. In the car it can take probably getting on for nearly a minute before it auto connects and I can manually select bluetooth music.

Matt_T

Reaction score

---

Fix:

Holy Crap. Thats more complex then the code to 99 lives in contra.

DreamRider

Reaction score
This issue is driving me nuts..... I only listen to music from my phone, over BT, every time I get in the truck, I never use anything else. Every time I get in, I have to press Media button, then scroll down and click the BT button.

Whats really driving me nuts is I also have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with what looks like the same exact radio/unit, and with that if I am driving it every day, every time I get in, it resumes playing what was playing when I got out of the car the night before. I always remote start and sometimes my BT music is playing before I get in the car, right where I left off when I got out the night before.

I just dont get it, the radios look identical but the Ram is 1 year newer, also the Jeep has nav, theRam doesnt. I spent an hour looking through the settings but couldnt find anything. I will try the steps mentioned above tomm..

Users who are viewing this thread