5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 upgrade via replacing 12" unit?

TechDaddy3x

Reaction score
With the announcement that Uconnect 5 is coming to Ram 1500. Does anyone think it will be possible to swap out the 12" unit from a 21 and install the new unit to have UC5?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking it should be possible and my wild guess would be a new screen and radio module at least. I don't think they'd do a major change with the refresh due within the next couple of years.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the announcement that Uconnect 5 is coming to Ram 1500. Does anyone think it will be possible to swap out the 12" unit from a 21 and install the new unit to have UC5?
Yes, but the Uconnect 5 radio module won’t be plug n play. UC5 uses two main connectors, whereas pre-2022 radios use one big main radio connector. The USB cable that links the radio module to the media hub uses a different connection type, also. I have a conversion harness built and ready, and I have the UC5 radio module and screen part numbers, just waiting for them to become available to buy (which probably won’t be for a while).
Another thing with transplanting UC5 into a pre-2022 Ram- you won’t be able to retain your current SiriusGuardian, if you have it, because UC5 is using a different service called RamConnect. That means no access to the Alexa or google features, send n go, remote start app, VHRs, etc.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but the Uconnect 5 radio module won’t be plug n play. UC5 uses two main connectors, whereas pre-2022 radios use one big main radio connector. The USB cable that links the radio module to the media hub uses a different connection type, also. I have a conversion harness built and ready, and I have the UC5 radio module and screen part numbers, just waiting for them to become available to buy (which probably won’t be for a while).
Another thing with transplanting UC5 into a pre-2022 Ram- you won’t be able to retain your current SiriusGuardian, if you have it, because UC5 is using a different service called RamConnect. That means no access to the Alexa or google features, send n go, remote start app, VHRs, etc.
I don't like the sounds of that for replacing the factory amp/speakers since the Pac piece has the one connector. :/ I guess we'll see once I get my truck

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the sounds of that for replacing the factory amp/speakers since the Pac piece has the one connector. :/ I guess we'll see once I get my truck
I can tell you for certain right now that an adapter like pictured below will not work on a Uconnect 5 radio.
FF157F12-2C30-43BF-BBD0-201B26FCAED6.jpeg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They've just barely gotten half of those features going for the 12" screens in the past couple of months, so we won't be "giving up" much!

djjr50

Reaction score
I wonder if the instrument panel display will change as well. Either going all digital or slightly increasing in size.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha, yeah, because with all the chip shortages and delays, you'd be able to get one easily.
You'd probably find a new truck with one before you find the parts, I'd imagine everything will be going to the production lines for a while.

djjr50

Reaction score
And will it even communicate with the body modules, especially pre 21 models.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it will be possible to do so simply because you know Infotainment,com will come out with an $8500 upgrade kit. Am certain Ram owners will be lined up out the door for that kit! 😆

66Fuelie

Reaction score
So far I haven't really seen anything on UC5 that blew me out of the water and would make me want to retrofit IF a kit were available.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread