5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect-5 8.4 Option Comparison

Scott_R

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good comparison sheet on the 2 Uconnect 5 options yet? Some features like 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot seem to be included in the Level B Equipment Group and other features like Apple Car Play and Android Auto are listed for both... Do we know anything about HD Radio or Sirius XL 360L? Is the only difference the GPS antenna?

Abesosa

Reaction score
What vehicles are getting g the uconnect 5? The 2022 rams are finally getting it?

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott_R

Reaction score
What vehicles are getting g the uconnect 5? The 2022 rams are finally getting it?

2019 Ram 1500 Limited Granite Crystal 4x4 with Off-Road Group and air ride
20% Cermanic Tint
USA Flag Decal on rear 5th Window
Xpel Door Edge and door handle Protection
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now standard on all of the Big Horn 1500s, however the build page only has features listed for the Navigation version. For the standard, they just have the paragraph with disclaimers. Several features included with Level B Equipment.

1633977532276.png 1633977706355.png

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They should all have the same functionality if they have NAV. We have vehicles that have 8.4 with and without NAV both have carplay/ etc but one does not have Wifi - I think however you get your radio with NAV (Level1 or Level2) will determine if you get the hotspot or not. I have it on a Level1 (8.4 w NAV) but never use it. Also HD is for radio and the channel has to be broadcast that way so who is actually taking advantage of that. They all should have wireless carplay/android auto which is the bigger win, no?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good comparison sheet on the 2 Uconnect 5 options yet? Some features like 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot seem to be included in the Level B Equipment Group and other features like Apple Car Play and Android Auto are listed for both... Do we know anything about HD Radio or Sirius XL 360L? Is the only difference the GPS antenna?

Per motortrend article:
  • Dual Bluetooth phone connectivity, with the ability to prioritize one phone over the other
  • Amazon Alexa home-to-truck and truck-to-home, which allows users to interact with Alexa in a natural voice
  • Up to five user profiles, accessible through one touch; temperature, seating position, and mirror placement can be connected to these fully customizable profiles
  • Firmware over-the-air (OTA) software updates
  • Built-in TomTom navigation with traffic and connected services
  • Maps over-the-air (OTA) provides relevant map updates and Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions for once you've parked
  • Advanced voice recognition allows conversational communication with the navigation system
  • Uconnect app: Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Family Drive Alerts, Valet Alert mode
  • Upgraded wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto; wireless charging

Here's the origininal link:

Scott_R

Reaction score
They should all have the same functionality if they have NAV. We have vehicles that have 8.4 with and without NAV both have carplay/ etc but one does not have Wifi - I think however you get your radio with NAV (Level1 or Level2) will determine if you get the hotspot or not. I have it on a Level1 (8.4 w NAV) but never use it. Also HD is for radio and the channel has to be broadcast that way so who is actually taking advantage of that. They all should have wireless carplay/android auto which is the bigger win, no?
Agree that CarPlay and AndroidAuto are table stakes... They all seem to have that. The screenshots are from the current 2022 Build generator, and it would seem that a Level2 selection comes with Ram Connect and Hotspot, even if Nav is not selected.

Last edited:

Scott_R

Reaction score
Per motortrend article:
  • Dual Bluetooth phone connectivity, with the ability to prioritize one phone over the other
  • Amazon Alexa home-to-truck and truck-to-home, which allows users to interact with Alexa in a natural voice
  • Up to five user profiles, accessible through one touch; temperature, seating position, and mirror placement can be connected to these fully customizable profiles
  • Maps over-the-air (OTA) provides relevant map updates and Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions for once you've parked
  • Advanced voice recognition allows conversational communication with the navigation system
  • Uconnect app: Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Family Drive Alerts, Valet Alert mode

I was also reading the same... The thing is that both of the 8.4 2022 configurations are listed as having Uconnect 5, which according to MotorTrend, would have all these features you have quoted. (Including TomTom.) Lets say this is the case... Why on earth would anyone buy the 8.4 with Navigation if the 8.4 without Navigation comes with TomTom Navigation... (I feel confused even typing that. :))

I am trying to figure out what is different between the two listed 8.4 Uconnect 5 systems...

Scott_R

Reaction score
Per motortrend article:

@RamCares Are you able to comment on the 9 bullet items. Are these all available on both 8.4 Uconnect 5 configurations? Or, does the system without Nav have a reduced feature set?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agree that CarPlay and AndroidAuto are table stakes... They all seem to have that. The screenshots are from the current 2022 Build generator, and it would seem that a Level2 selection comes with Ram Connect and Hotspot, even if Nav is not selected.
@RamCares Are you able to comment on the 9 bullet items. Are these all available on both 8.4 Uconnect 5 configurations? Or, does the system without Nav have a reduced feature set?

Hello everyone,

Thanks for tagging our @RamCares team and bringing this thread to our attention. We'd be happy to help answer any questions that you might have!

Uconnect 5 w/ 8.4 inch display vs. Uconnect 5 Navigation w/ 8.4 inch display
In terms of Navigation, the Uconnect 5 Navigation comes with an intuitive built-in solution from TomTom navigation, integrating the latest technology. The Uconnect built-in navigation now includes TomTom’s Traffic & Travel Services, giving drivers the latest information for a smooth journey by providing audible turn-by-turn directions and adjusting audio volume over the driver-side speaker so that Navigation commands can be clearly heard. Similar to personal devices, One-Box-Search makes it easy and intuitive to find a destination (search by voice or text). The system includes 3-D graphics and views of landmarks, cities and terrains and the guidance is enhanced with the best possible routing; giving the ability to add a destination along your route and an ETA that offers alternative routes and their time extensions. Maps-Over-The-Air (MOTA) and Last Mile Navigation also are new to Uconnect. MOTA enables a user to easily update the map on the navigation system. Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions back to your vehicle via the Uconnect smartphone app. Dynamic range mapping allows owners to see every detail, adding more depth and detail to the map. Also, Moving Lane Guidance provides specific lane information and detailed turns to help navigate through complicated intersections and on/off ramps, highlighting the suggested route well ahead of commanded guidance. Uconnect projects a turn-by-turn view to the vehicle’s cluster screen. This feature reduces lateral head movement so drivers can focus their attention on the road.

This advanced navigation links vehicle systems to the route, accomplishing what phone navigation systems cannot. For example, the Low-fuel Assistant predicts fuel required for a set journey and makes suggestions for refueling, with a comparison of fuel costs. A warning appears on-screen, prompting the user to choose a station. Search results dictate whether a station is out of range.

The standard Uconnect 5 w/ an 8.4 inch display does not come with this advanced navigation integration. Instead, customers with this Uconnect model will be able to utilize AndroidAuto/ Apple CarPlay for navigation purposes.
  • 10.1" and 10.25" touchscreens available on certain models (along with 7", 8.4", and 12")
  • Android operating system with processing speeds up to 5x faster
  • Built by Harman
  • Supports Amazon Alexa, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Up to 5 user profiles
  • Simultaneous support for 2 cellphones
  • Support for hybrid and electric vehicle features
  • Free 6 month trial subscription to SiriusXM with 360L
  • Free 1 year trial subscription to SXM Guardian connected services
  • Over the air updates to radio and navigation software
  • 4G LTE WiFi hotspot (3 months or 1 GB, whichever occurs first, trial included
I hope this provides some clarification! Feel free to send us a private message if you have more specific questions in mind.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

Last edited:

Scott_R

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks for tagging our @RamCares team and bringing this thread to our attention. We'd be happy to help answer any questions that you might have!

In terms of Navigation, the Uconnect 5 Navigation comes with an intuitive built-in solution from TomTom navigation, integrating the latest technology. The Uconnect built-in navigation now includes TomTom’s Traffic & Travel Services, giving drivers the latest information for a smooth journey by providing audible turn-by-turn directions and adjusting audio volume over the driver-side speaker so that Navigation commands can be clearly heard. Similar to personal devices, One-Box-Search makes it easy and intuitive to find a destination (search by voice or text). The system includes 3-D graphics and views of landmarks, cities and terrains and the guidance is enhanced with the best possible routing; giving the ability to add a destination along your route and an ETA that offers alternative routes and their time extensions. Maps-Over-The-Air (MOTA) and Last Mile Navigation also are new to Uconnect. MOTA enables a user to easily update the map on the navigation system. Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions back to your vehicle via the Uconnect smartphone app. Dynamic range mapping allows owners to see every detail, adding more depth and detail to the map. Also, Moving Lane Guidance provides specific lane information and detailed turns to help navigate through complicated intersections and on/off ramps, highlighting the suggested route well ahead of commanded guidance. Uconnect projects a turn-by-turn view to the vehicle’s cluster screen. This feature reduces lateral head movement so drivers can focus their attention on the road.

This advanced navigation links vehicle systems to the route, accomplishing what phone navigation systems cannot. For example, the Low-fuel Assistant predicts fuel required for a set journey and makes suggestions for refueling, with a comparison of fuel costs. A warning appears on-screen, prompting the user to choose a station. Search results dictate whether a station is out of range.

The standard Uconnect 5 w/ an 8.4 inch display does not come with this advanced navigation integration. Instead, customers with this Uconnect model will be able to utilize AndroidAuto/ Apple CarPlay for navigation purposes.
  • 10.1" and 10.25" touchscreens available on certain models (along with 7", 8.4", and 12")
  • Built by Harman
  • Up to 5 user profiles
I hope this provides some clarification! Feel free to send us a private message if you have more specific questions in mind.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. This does help me with the option selection. (I will not be changing my order to add the Nav.)

Can you clarify two minor additional points?
  1. Will a Ram purchased without the Nav option have the GPS antenna?
  2. Can this option be software upgraded at a later date? (For a cost...)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. This does help me with the option selection. (I will not be changing my order to add the Nav.)

1. All Rams that have a radio capable of Sirius XM have a GPS/SDARS antenna.
2. No, a non navigation radio can not be software upgraded to have the built in nav feature.

Scott_R

Reaction score
2. No, a non navigation radio can not be software upgraded to have the built in nav feature.
@Jimmy07 Thanks for the confirmation on the first item.

Regarding the upgrade capability, has this been confirmed in the wild yet? I ask only because this seems to be the first year that the same Uconnect5 offering is on both options. (vs. the 4 and 4C options.)

Reading your other posts, it looks like you have some detail on the wiring... Might you have a view on the complexity to upgrade from the w/o Nav 8.4 to the w/ Nav 8.4?

RamCares

Reaction score

@Jimmy07 Thanks for the confirmation on the first item.

Regarding the upgrade capability, has this been confirmed in the wild yet? I ask only because this seems to be the first year that the same Uconnect5 offering is on both options. (vs. the 4 and 4C options.)

Reading your other posts, it looks like you have some detail on the wiring... Might you have a view on the complexity to upgrade from the w/o Nav 8.4 to the w/ Nav 8.4?

Hello everyone,

We're glad we could clarify some of these questions for you! As @Jimmy07 stated, Uconnect 5 is all new technology and cannot be installed in earlier MY vehicles or vehicles that were manufactured to support a different Uconnect model. Since we don't like to speculate on potential future updates or upgrades, we cannot guarantee any answers to your second question of whether or not the software itself will be upgraded at a later date to support additional features

Uconnect 5 w/ 8.4 inch display - connected with a Global Telematics Box Module (TBM)
Uconnect 5NAV w/ 8.4 inch display - connected with a Global Telematics Box Module (TBM) but also has the HD Digital radio and built in TomTom Navigation with traffic and travel.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

Scott_R

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We're glad we could clarify some of these questions for you! As @Jimmy07 stated, Uconnect 5 is all new technology and cannot be installed in earlier MY vehicles or vehicles that were manufactured to support a different Uconnect model. Since we don't like to speculate on potential future updates or upgrades, we cannot guarantee any answers to your second question of whether or not the software itself will be upgraded at a later date to support additional features

Uconnect 5 w/ 8.4 inch display - connected with a Global Telematics Box Module (TBM)
Uconnect 5NAV w/ 8.4 inch display - connected with a Global Telematics Box Module (TBM) but also has the HD Digital radio and built in TomTom Navigation with traffic and travel.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
I do not believe that HD was called out earlier as a differentiating feature... I might have missed it... Thanks again for the confirmation. I will follow along with interest on our ability to upgrade between Uconnect5 versions.

Thanks Again

ram813ltd

Reaction score
i'll say it uconnect 12 navigation really sucks. i wish google maps did go full screen. routing is terrible. i have the latest map in my 21 limited and its out of date by a few years not showing roads that have been around a long time. traffic is incorrect in locations most times. recently routed to a one way street and says to turn the wrong way which was a closed road and bike path. advance turn announcements come while you're making the turn. as far as i can tell HERE is the supplier/vendor, whatever you want to call it and its the same as GM uses. you want a map update its going to cost and it will still be obsolete.
lastly they show way too much unneeded map information on the screen. that takes time to decipher while eyes are off the road. fortunately the basic info is available on the driver screen

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i'll say it uconnect 12 navigation really sucks. i wish google maps did go full screen. routing is terrible. i have the latest map in my 21 limited and its out of date by a few years not showing roads that have been around a long time. traffic is incorrect in locations most times. recently routed to a one way street and says to turn the wrong way which was a closed road and bike path. advance turn announcements come while you're making the turn. as far as i can tell HERE is the supplier/vendor, whatever you want to call it and its the same as GM uses. you want a map update its going to cost and it will still be obsolete.
lastly they show way too much unneeded map information on the screen. that takes time to decipher while eyes are off the road. fortunately the basic info is available on the driver screen
This thread is discussing Uconnect 5, which is way different than what you have. New native navigation using Tom Tom, which constantly updates, and CarPlay goes full screen on google maps on the 12”.
On yours, you can choose what/how much info you want to show on the map via navigation settings.

Scott_R

Reaction score
Perhaps this is why they are switching to TomTom. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I don't know...

What is does look like to me is that between the two 8.4 Uconnect 5 options the Navigation and HD capabilities are the key differences. Not clear to me what the upgrade path might look like... Both 8.4 systems advertise over the air updates and have 4G.

Not much documentation out there (hardly any), however I'm hopeful there will be future software upgrade options. Today, TomTom is a downloadable app on a Android or iPhone. Unless there is a hardware difference between the two 8.4 radios, it should be possible. And since TomTom is an app, it is not clear to me why hardware should even be a concern.

Scott_R

Reaction score
Perhaps this is why they are switching to TomTom. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I don't know...

What is does look like to me is that between the two 8.4 Uconnect 5 options the Navigation and HD capabilities are the key differences. Not clear to me what the upgrade path might look like... Both 8.4 systems advertise over the air updates and have 4G.

Not much documentation out there (hardly any), however I'm hopeful there will be future software upgrade options. Today, TomTom is a downloadable app on a Android or iPhone. Unless there is a hardware difference between the two 8.4 radios, it should be possible. And since TomTom is an app, it is not clear to me why hardware should even be a concern.
And, yes... I know I could use TomTom on my phone with Android Auto... :unsure: :)

RamCares

Reaction score

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way. If you'd like us to look into this for you, send us a private message with your VIN and system information. We'd be happy to see if there are any applicable resolutions to your concerns.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

• Built by Harman
  • Up to 5 user profiles

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
Hi @RamCares, idk if this question has been answered elsewhere yet but is TomTom’s Traffic & Travel Services a trial period service which then requires a subscription after, similar to siriusxm and uconnect connected services? or is this something that is just part of how the Uconnect 5 w/NAV 8.4 works, and when you have it, you have it?

Thanks for any info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/