5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect 12” media abilities

RT70808

Reaction score
So I emailed Ram via the uConnect site asking about file types, number of songs, folders etc... I’m awaiting a final response but here’s what I got so far from them. I mainly asked because I have a 25,000+ Song music library on a portable SSD drive with a usb c cable. Blows away my iPod that I use to Bluetooth stream music on my boat. Before everyone asks about the music Library; I had a student worker years ago to rip the stacks of case logic cd binders my wife and I both had to mp3s. Anyways.

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center.

I would be more than happy to look into the supported file types, USB
drive format as well as how many files and folders the uConnect system
on your RAM will support. Once I have been provided with this
information I will relay it to you via email.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional
assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this
email message or call 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

Sincerely,

Michael

Neocane

Reaction score
That would be awesome if uConnect supports SSD's! I'm pretty anxious to see what they say!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys intrigued me so I grabbed my passport drive. It is not a SSD but it spun right up although came up with a read error. That I assume is due to it being formatted NTFS. I have every confidence that if it were FAT32 that it would work so if a standard drive works, an SSD will.

This also intrigued me with file types so I loaded up a USB thumb drive with some .flac files. The system recognized and played them immediately. Sweet!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oops sorry, didn’t realize you were asking about the 12” system. I have the 8.4c, if that does it, I’m sure the 12” does.

Neocane

Reaction score
You guys intrigued me so I grabbed my passport drive. It is not a SSD but it spun right up although came up with a read error. That I assume is due to it being formatted NTFS. I have every confidence that if it were FAT32 that it would work so if a standard drive works, an SSD will.

This also intrigued me with file types so I loaded up a USB thumb drive with some .flac files. The system recognized and played them immediately. Sweet!

Really hope it DOES work with NTFS formatted hdd's! FAT32 does not allow the transfer of any file larger than 4GB and NTFS does. That said, since music files would be the only reason I would use an SSD for storage, it's a moot point. I just think it's odd that an "older" file system would be compatible whereas a newer one would not.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really hope it DOES work with NTFS formatted hdd's! FAT32 does not allow the transfer of any file larger than 4GB and NTFS does. That said, since music files would be the only reason I would use an SSD for storage, it's a moot point. I just think it's odd that an "older" file system would be compatible whereas a newer one would not.

I’ll go format a thumb drive with NTFS and try it. I really doubt it though. FAT32 is universal, NTFS is not.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm never one to want to be left out, I just tried my Samsung T5 500GB SSD, formatted ExFAT. I put a couple MP3s on there (there are other non music )files on the drive also. It knows it is connected but will not allow it to be browsed or even just select play

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll go format a thumb drive with NTFS and try it. I really doubt it though. FAT32 is universal, NTFS is not.

Well call me surprised and impressed. NTFS does work. That makes me back pedal on the SSD drive though. While my standard HD spun up and the system recognized it was connected, it being NTFS was not the issue with reading it.

With @202snowman just trying an SSD with similar results, that throws up a flag to me.

RT70808

Reaction score
Since I'm never one to want to be left out, I just tried my Samsung T5 500GB SSD, formatted ExFAT. I put a couple MP3s on there (there are other non music )files on the drive also. It knows it is connected but will not allow it to be browsed or even just select play
My T5 has a bunch of VMware fusion machines on it for work, so I bought m.2 usb c enclosure for a 512g drive I had laying around, copying files to it now, but I fortmatted it exfat as well. 78 gigs copied of 254, I guess I’ll stop and reformat it NTFS.

RT70808

Reaction score
Oh and go figure a bunch of people wanting big fancy units in their trucks also have tons of music, flash drives and ssd drives laying around.. just saying.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My T5 has a bunch of VMware fusion machines on it for work, so I bought m.2 usb c enclosure for a 512g drive I had laying around, copying files to it now, but I fortmatted it exfat as well. 78 gigs copied of 254, I guess I’ll stop and reformat it NTFS.

Let us know how that works

Neocane

Reaction score
Bummer! If you have the time could you try it with the "older" exFAT file system?

RT70808

Reaction score
Guess I'll just have to stick with USB stick and iPhone X then. Thanks for trying!
Success!!
Same drive formatted NTFS. I moved everything out of the “music” root folder and now everything is just drive\artist\album and it picked up 3,500 songs and the browse button didn’t take very long to become available. I’ll copy the other 200gigs over and see if it freaks out. F298414A-08D1-419D-88C0-4AD9E2C2936E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread