5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U-Connect screen blank on startup.

DWHILL

Reaction score
Several times when I start my truck the u-connect screen is blank, radio plays . I have to turn off the radio and then back on screen comes alive. I still have the problem that the u-connect system does not save my choices in the split screen mode. Bottom half remembers top half does not. I have to choose every time i start the truck. I have not went to the dealer hoping for a update to fix it. Not happy with the first few months of my truck. On another thread I will be reporting my not so great gas mileage about 14.1 in the city.

Jstadick

Reaction score
I've had a similar problem. I've noticed a few times that if I jump in the truck and quickly put the truck in reverse, without letting the UConnect system full boot up, I get the backup camera, but when I put the truck back in drive, the camera screen goes away and the screen stays blank. Once I turn off the truck and let it sit a while, it works fine again.

Ryanww

Reaction score
Same to this. I work for Chrysler, in a form. I have had my radio replaced and I wish my first one had not been messed up by that update, because it worked great....I'm debating having them replace this one again or not

Escamp1

Reaction score
Several times when I start my truck the u-connect screen is blank, radio plays . I have to turn off the radio and then back on screen comes alive. I still have the problem that the u-connect system does not save my choices in the split screen mode. Bottom half remembers top half does not. I have to choose every time i start the truck. I have not went to the dealer hoping for a update to fix it. Not happy with the first few months of my truck. On another thread I will be reporting my not so great gas mileage about 14.1 in the city.
This happened to me the sane day I drove off the lot. 2019 Laramie with only 30 miles on odometer. Taking it to the dealer Monday, 4/1/19, for a gear selector/transmission issue. I will bring this to their attention as well and update later.

NewRAMGuy

Reaction score
I have had this happen three times now, I've tried turning the radio and the truck off and then on again and it still does not fix the problem. After letting the truck sit over night the screen has come back. This is not the only problem I've had with the screen, sometimes while driving the screen will start to flicker and go out, I tap the top right corner of the radio with the palm of my hand and it comes back up. Has anyone out there ever found the real cause and a fix for this problem? I have checked my software version and it is 20.16. FSA you need to get on this and fix it, it is total BS!

1Srgolfnut

Reaction score
Took my 2019 Ram Limited 5th Gen in to dealer because uconnect forgetting presets. They updated software and now my screen goes black. Seems to be related to backup camera. If I go to reverse then forward the screen goes black. I can also make this happen by going to surround cam view then back, screen goes black. I have to turn radio off then on to bring screen back. Also park sense won't pick up a curb anymore. Higher objects sense but not curbs. All started after software update.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took my 2019 Ram Limited 5th Gen in to dealer because uconnect forgetting presets. They updated software and now my screen goes black. Seems to be related to backup camera. If I go to reverse then forward the screen goes black. I can also make this happen by going to surround cam view then back, screen goes black. I have to turn radio off then on to bring screen back. Also park sense won't pick up a curb anymore. Higher objects sense but not curbs. All started after software update.

Same issue here with the screen going blank. Took it back to the dealer and they told me nothing they can do, there's a Star Case for the issue that says there will be a software update coming in Q4. So now I get to drive around with a screen going blank for the next 2-5 months? Come on FCA!!

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just had my truck updated to 18.45 at the dealer and it is now doing this same exact thing. Did anyone get any sort of resolve as to what is causing this or how it was fixed?

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am posting this because this fixed my issue at least for now. After the update my truck would go blank every single time I went from reverse to drive. I finally reset all my settings and cleared all the data. Then the next morning fired up the old ram and no blank screen as of today. It has only been 1 day so this isn't a guaranteed fix. I will post more updates if it comes back. Hope this helps

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not fixed. Still happening at the dealer now dropping it off. Sorry guys.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They replaced the backup camera and it is still happening so back to the dealer to drop it off again. I asked them to just install the latest software so we will see what they do.

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
Please
Can i ask you to turn off your truck
And open the driver door for 45 min

And after that check if it's still happen or the problem fix

(Please) one more try

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please
Can i ask you to turn off your truck
And open the driver door for 45 min

And after that check if it's still happen or the problem fix

(Please) one more try

I will try that this morning but i take my truck to the dealer at 1:15pm and I might not that much time to test it out before I have to take it in.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So nothing worked so I took it back in to the dealer and they informed me that they have been getting a ton of 12 inch screens with issues lately and Ram doesn't want to ship out the replacement screens. The service manager came out to my truck because I kept it running so they could see the issue first hand. He brought out his computer and restarted the ECU and since he did that it has worked fine for 2 days. He said he would order me a replacement screen and let me know when they get it in. He said he thinks something is wrong and wants to get it replaced to make sure its resolved. He also said 18.45 is the latest version of software for my truck which isn't true. So who knows what ram is doing.

JABASTON

Reaction score
I purchased an used 2019 Ram BigHorn. 16K miles. Two weeks after singing the papers, the screen flickers and goes out. Everything functions in the back ground, but no video. Powering off the truck and back on brings the screen up, however it does not function as a touch screen or switch between screens. Back up camera has no affect on it. Taking to dealer on 6/26 to see what happens. I did stop by to setup an appointment to show them and they saw the screen flicker and blank screen. Truck is great other than this.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased an used 2019 Ram BigHorn. 16K miles. Two weeks after singing the papers, the screen flickers and goes out. Everything functions in the back ground, but no video. Powering off the truck and back on brings the screen up, however it does not function as a touch screen or switch between screens. Back up camera has no affect on it. Taking to dealer on 6/26 to see what happens. I did stop by to setup an appointment to show them and they saw the screen flicker and blank screen. Truck is great other than this.

Yeah that sounds like a different problem than mine. I think resetting the ECU fixed my issue (No issues since) but my dealer said they wanted to replace the entire unit so it goes in tomorrow to have the entire radio/screen replaced. We will see what happens.

Last edited:

liq001

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like a different problem than mine. I think resetting the ECU fixed my issue (No issues since) but my dealer said they wanted to replace the entire unit so it goes in tomorrow to have the entire radio/screen replaced. We will see what happens.
May I ask if replace the screen fixed your issue? I had the same issue, the dealer will replace the screen for me.

habiby01

Reaction score
Same to this. I work for Chrysler, in a form. I have had my radio replaced and I wish my first one had not been messed up by that update, because it worked great....I'm debating having them replace this one again or not
they did an update on air and that what cause mine not to work any more when I call them they told me go the dealer and pay $200 to do uconnect update and that is not for sure to fix the issue

habiby01

Reaction score
They did an update on air and that what cause mine not to work any more when I called them they told me to go to the dealer and pay $200 to do uconnect update and that is not for sure to fix the issue

Users who are viewing this thread