5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning off the headlights

rconiv

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the headlights while the engine is running? If I turn the knob on my 2019 Rebel, they don't turn off, though when I put it in off, the dash lights up during the day. If I am in accessory, I can turn them off, but as soon as I try to start the truck, even if the knob is in off, and they turn on, and it isn't just the running lights, it is all of them.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the headlights while the engine is running? If I turn the knob on my 2019 Rebel, they don't turn off, though when I put it in off, the dash lights up during the day. If I am in accessory, I can turn them off, but as soon as I try to start the truck, even if the knob is in off, and they turn on, and it isn't just the running lights, it is all of them.
The headlights are the day time running lights . I believe you can turn them off with a tazer ?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your daytime running lights are active, you can disable those if you're in the US through your radio. If you have a Canadian truck they're on all the time. If you're talking about the accent lights on the top and bottom, no you can't turn them off without a Tazer DT.

rconiv

Reaction score
Thanks, I am in the U.S., and it is the main headlights, and I will have to poke through screen options. It would just be nice if I could turn off the main headlights when pulling in to a a location with lots of people at night so I don't blind everyone, since the headlights are bright.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I am in the U.S., and it is the main headlights, and I will have to poke through screen options. It would just be nice if I could turn off the main headlights when pulling in to a a location with lots of people at night so I don't blind everyone, since the headlights are bright.
Well if the DRL function isn't turned on, then turning the switch all the way to the left turns them off completely.

rconiv

Reaction score
Well if the DRL function isn't turned on, then turning the switch all the way to the left turns them off completely.
Thanks, found that out today while playing with that feature.

bud007

Reaction score
Or at a Drive In movie where you dont want your lights on all the time with your ACC on , so you can listen through your radio :mad:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or at a Drive In movie where you dont want your lights on all the time with your ACC on , so you can listen through your radio :mad:
Yeah we took the truck to our drive through Christmas lights last year, and I was nervous about the accent lights being too bright. We went one year with our Maxima, and people were b!tching the entire time while I sat there saying I can't do anything about it. The Ram accent lights are actually a lot dimmer than most of the ones from other vehicles/brands.

testcrewman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if UC5 will allow the ability to turn off the DRLs so that just the light strips are on?

Jokerpro

Reaction score
Same issue here on a 2022 ram 1500 Big Horn. I’ve verified that the DRL setting is turned off and they still stay on. No change at all when I turn the knob. I found an apparent fix on another forum so I’m going to the dealership on Monday to see if they can fix it. Apparently it has to do will the “tunnel detection” setting being turned on so it thinks the truck is in a tunnel. I’ll update after I leave my appointment.

Reaction score
If you apply the parking brake and then move the headlight switch to off, the head lights should go off and the LED strips will remain active.

Jokerpro

Reaction score
If you apply the parking brake and then move the headlight switch to off, the head lights should go off and the LED strips will remain active.
Unfortunately, I tried this already and it did not work. But I also do not have LEDs so it might work for those with them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TazerDT has dark mode that kills all lights

Jokerpro

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I tried this already and it did not work. But I also do not have LEDs so it might work for those with them.
Update…. My issue was apparently a loose wiring harness 🤦‍♂️ from the factory that was never fully plugged in. The mechanic said that he was surprised I didn’t have more lighting issues. Either way, my switch finally works correctly.

brotherearth

Reaction score
So I have a Canadian model truck (2019 Sport) and am looking for a way to kill my DRL for when I'm backing down the boat ramp in the dark. Everybody hates the guy who's blinding everyone and making it so that can't see while trying to back down the ramp next to you! Is a Tazer DT going to be my solution?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a Canadian model truck (2019 Sport) and am looking for a way to kill my DRL for when I'm backing down the boat ramp in the dark. Everybody hates the guy who's blinding everyone and making it so that can't see while trying to back down the ramp next to you! Is a Tazer DT going to be my solution?
TazerDT will let you set the amber turns. As DRL. Otherwise, alfaObd is your best option to turn on them off.

brotherearth

Reaction score
TazerDT will let you set the amber turns. As DRL. Otherwise, alfaObd is your best option to turn on them off.

OK, thank you. I'll look into alfaObd. I have another 2 months or so to get it figured out before open water season.
I had no idea the Canada models kept the lights on even when turning the headlight knob all the way off until I was running into the store the other night. Left my buddy in the truck with it running and couldn't get them to go dark with the truck on!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure (as I don't have a Canadian truck), but I believe you can change them with the Tazer.

1677251379839.png

Users who are viewing this thread