5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn Signal Fog Light Mod

Kickass_Brax

Reaction score
I have a 1500 2019 Tradesmen and saw a mod I’ve been considering. There’s a way to connect your turn signal to your fog lights without losing your fog lights. The fog lights will still function as fog lights but when using your turn signal that side will blink until turned off and return back to normal. I’ve heard these trucks don’t like new wiring but I have a light bar and a tail light strip and haven’t had any issues. But I’m interested in this mod and I’m looking for more information, I don’t want to screw up the truck just because something looks cool. I’d also like to know how to do this if anyone knows. Any help is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you want to retain your fog lights fucntion but add turn signal function to that?

This will not be doable without major wiring job.
Two ways to do this:
1. Add a third power wire to the fog light harness that is connected to your turn signal, but this requires work on your fog light bulb socket and wiring to your original turn signal, and chances are you'll need to change out something to let it flash properly.
2. major overall: add a relay that controls the fog light and turn signal input, but will also require major major wiring work.

I would just leave it and not screw around with the OE harnesses.

Kickass_Brax

Reaction score
That definitely sounds like a lot that’s just not worth it. I’d rather everything be LED as well, I’ve already found head lights I want, now I just have to figure out how to make the fog lights LED

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah not sure what options are out there for tradesman. for rebel there are plenty of kits

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not something I would want. , But shouldn't be too hard to just wire up the fog lights to the parking lights/turn signal circuit

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1500 2019 Tradesmen and saw a mod I’ve been considering. There’s a way to connect your turn signal to your fog lights without losing your fog lights. The fog lights will still function as fog lights but when using your turn signal that side will blink until turned off and return back to normal. I’ve heard these trucks don’t like new wiring but I have a light bar and a tail light strip and haven’t had any issues. But I’m interested in this mod and I’m looking for more information, I don’t want to screw up the truck just because something looks cool. I’d also like to know how to do this if anyone knows. Any help is greatly appreciated

Not sure you saw, but I replied to this question you had over on cumminsforum.
This would actually be very easy to do using diode dynamics switchback modules. You would retain normal fog light function, and the fog light would drop out when used as a turn signal. Relays were mentioned above, but it’s not that simple, as you would also need to get capacitors and diodes involved.
I could build you a pair of harnesses with the switchbacks incorporated so they would be plug n play between the headlights and fogs.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This would actually be very easy to do using diode dynamics switchback modules. You would retain normal fog light function, and the fog light would drop out when used as a turn signal. Relays were mentioned above, but it’s not that simple, as you would also need to get capacitors and diodes involved.
I could build you a pair of harnesses with the switchbacks incorporated so they would be plug n play between the headlights and fogs.
This is the way to go. You'd need a switchback harness where you run your fog power, plus the turn signal power (can be a jumper from your turn signal wire) that controls the signals. Then you'd need a switchback light that has both white and amber for your fog housing. Like Jimmy said, he can make harnesses, or you can buy them from somewhere like Diode Dynamics. I've done this multiple times on vehicles and motorcycles.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
switchback module is what i was trying to say lol
brain dead moment

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
switchback module is what i was trying to say lol
brain dead moment
Yeah it's really not that bad to wire up. 3 wires in: fog power, turn signal power, ground and then 2 wires out: power and ground (get a plug that matches the fog light plug). The harness/module controls the rest.

Maintf16

Reaction score

I have a 2021 Built to Serve Edition and my truck does smthn similar but not exactly what you had mentioned. when I slow down to a certain speed and either put signal on or just start to turn the wheel in either directions and the fog lamp on that side will illuminate until you return the wheel to the center position. I’m curious if that’s the mod you saw but mine def do not blink they light up to illuminate the side your turning to.

Users who are viewing this thread