5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB 23-032-19 LOOSE TAILGATE CABLE - Everything you need to know

Marusho

Reaction score
THE PROBLEM: 5th Gen Rams, at least those with the conventional tailgate, have a manufacturing defect. The distance between the mounting points for the LH and the RH tailgate cables are meant to be identical, but somehow the LH pair are closer together. When the original cables (I'll call them NORMAL) are mounted, there is enough slack in the LH cable that it does not become taut, even when hundreds of pounds are applied to the LH side of the tailgate. This could cause the tailgate to bend.

THE FIX: A short tailgate cable, part number 68488335AA, was developed to replace the LH tailgate cable, resulting in equal tension between the two cables.

I WAS PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THIS ISSUE BY RAM, and the subsequent issuing of the TSB, dated 11/21/2019. I have, however, no reason to believe that the defect was corected in the production line or that the replacement cable, which I will call SHORT, is now being installed as trucks are being built. Therefore this may be an issue for the life of the 5th Gen, and possibly for other models.

Because I was invested in this problem, imagine my disappointment when I had this TSB performed at my dealer and there was no improvement? When I examined the repair order I noticed that BOTH NORMAL CABLES HAD BEEN REPLACED WITH SHORT CABLES, negating any benefit.

The TSB clearly states, in bold print,
"NOTE: Only one tailgate service cable is needed for the Repair Procedure if replacement is
needed.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
CAUTION! Only replace the tailgate cable showing the symptom/condition, do not replace
both tailgate cables with service cable P/N 68488335AA. Failure to do so may
result in the issue becoming worse."

When I investigated I learned that when the tech visited the parts department for the SHORT cable, he was told that a technical note stated that they were to replace cables only in pairs. He chose to follow this advice from the parts department rather than the very clear caution in the TSB.

I explained the situation to a senior tech who understood the problem and the solution. He said they did not have a NORMAL cable in stock to replace the offending RH SHORT cable. I suggested that he go to any other Ram and swap my incorrect RH cable with that Ram's incorrect LH cable. He did this and both Rams were fixed.

The takeaway: If you request this fix, caution the tech, or better yet, LEAVE A SIGN ON THE TAILGATE, warning him to ignore the advice of the Parts Department that both cables be replaced, and to follow the instructions in the TSB.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the TSB. I have this issue with my truck so I just ordered part listed in the TSB and will replace myself. I avoid the dealership like no other.

Users who are viewing this thread