5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Quality

NDanecker

Reaction score
Good friend finally got his TRX and although he is happy I'm wondering if they are pushing these through too fast and not focusing on quality. With only a few hundred miles 2 problems have come up which are minor but an issue nonetheless. The exhaust tip came lose and is rotating on its own, and the camera under the rear view mirror fell down off the windshield. Dealer said the fix for the camera is replacing the windshield but I question that. I'm a mopar guy but damn - I hope others aren't having these issues on such an expensive vehicle. That was the driving factor on dumping my 18 Trackhawk after all the launches were done and I needed to live with vehicle as a daily driver. At the end of the day its still a FCA product. I felt performance was spot on but quality wasn't there unlike some of the German vehicles. Other than that the TRX looks incredible in person and is so much different than pics. It's a fun truck to ride but its still a truck. It accelerates like a Trackhawk (albeit slightly slower) but corners like a '71 Cadillac boat.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good friend finally got his TRX and although he is happy I'm wondering if they are pushing these through too fast and not focusing on quality. With only a few hundred miles 2 problems have come up which are minor but an issue nonetheless. The exhaust tip came lose and is rotating on its own, and the camera under the rear view mirror fell down off the windshield. Dealer said the fix for the camera is replacing the windshield but I question that. I'm a mopar guy but damn - I hope others aren't having these issues on such an expensive vehicle. That was the driving factor on dumping my 18 Trackhawk after all the launches were done and I needed to live with vehicle as a daily driver. At the end of the day its still a FCA product. I felt performance was spot on but quality wasn't there unlike some of the German vehicles. Other than that the TRX looks incredible in person and is so much different than pics. It's a fun truck to ride but its still a truck. It accelerates like a Trackhawk (albeit slightly slower) but corners like a '71 Cadillac boat.
Let’s hope that was just a one off thing and not going to be the norm .

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Must’ve been a Friday after lunch before a long weekend build. 😂

saylor

Reaction score
the failure rate on these trucks grows by the moment around here

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Why you should always think twice on buying anything brand spanking new...I like to allow a year for them to work out all the "kinks" before I buy. However, sometimes, the emotion of buying something new gets in the way. I will buy either a TRX or a RAPTOR...but not until 2023.
True, my friend, but the issues he experienced are not anything revolutionary that they just released.

Windshield sensor and exhaust tip is going to be identical to any other 5th gen trucks, so I believe he’s right. They are just not putting enough effort in QC. It doesn’t instill confidence.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a very expensive Dodge, but a Dodge nonetheless.

Let’s face it, quality is nor their forte.. I knew that going in when I bought my truck (granted it’s less than half the price of a TRX)..

I was well aware that I would probably have to use my 3/36 to address quality issues that should have been addressed in the factory.. and sure enough, I did.. during the first year of ownership, my truck was in for warranty service about a half dozen times...since then, knock on wood, I haven’t had any issues.. save for the horrible wind noise whistling through the cabin under certain conditions.. I’ve just learned to turn up the radio and live with it..

For me, I would never pay $90k for a Chrysler product..but then again, I’m not rich either.. I’m guessing the people that can afford them are not buying them because of the superior build quality..

Jrex

Reaction score
As for TRX, I have had a 2019 RAM for 2 years, driving TRX, 4 hours straight on highway home was a good test comparison. I thought it rode the same as regular RAM, with exception , being wider, taller and more HP. Just put in AUTO mode and let the dynamic suspension soften the ride.

Whats the build#? Last 3#'s of VIN#? and how many miles have they put on it, when defects were noticed?

But if that happened to me, I would be shaking my head also, but I would just be glad the exhaust tip did not fall off and get lost. As far as windshield, let them fix it the right way. If they are spending funds on a complete windshield replacement, there is a reason.

Those are minor issues, but it basically shows, it failed to be caught during build assembly post installation check, final inspection, factory test drive and dealer prep. Just take it in and have dealer resolve both items and have them inspect entire truck. That's all he can do. If things keep occurring, open a case/complaint with FCA customer service. This is their signature vehicle in RAM line up, specifically to slight FORD. They treated VIPER customers as royalty, I would assume the same will be with TRX customers.

I will note: when I got my 2019 Laramie Sport in January of 2019, after we got it, within a day or 2, an annoying rattle, in rear cabin drivers side started. It drove me crazy. Finally took it to dealer, tech drove it and said nothing was wrong and he did not hear anything. I got in and drove with tech, within 10 seconds, it started rattling. It ended up being a loose cable came out out cable clamp in driver side rear pillar.

I think these little annoying build issues are just part of a first year production released vehicle, every quality control warranty repair gets flagged and better checks and balances are implemented on assembly line.

But there is hope, after that rattling in rear cabin, have not had one build quality issue with my 2019, and when it first happened, I was wondering if I made a mistake buying the truck.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
It’s a very expensive Dodge, but a Dodge nonetheless.

Let’s face it, quality is nor their forte.. I knew that going in when I bought my truck (granted it’s less than half the price of a TRX)..

I was well aware that I would probably have to use my 3/36 to address quality issues that should have been addressed in the factory.. and sure enough, I did.. during the first year of ownership, my truck was in for warranty service about a half dozen times...since then, knock on wood, I haven’t had any issues.. save for the horrible wind noise whistling through the cabin under certain conditions.. I’ve just learned to turn up the radio and live with it..

For me, I would never pay $90k for a Chrysler product..but then again, I’m not rich either.. I’m guessing the people that can afford them are not buying them because of the superior build quality..
This makes me laugh. Head over to Ford and Chevy forums. They are plagued with issues. Every manufacturer has major issues. Very biased observation, but it is your opinion. I’m sure a lot of ppl would debate your opinion for days who come from other brands. Ppl pay way for for Tesla for example. Their quality control is literally nonexistent.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Something to remember is in forums like this 99 percent of the posts you see are problems, not the larger population of people with no issues. Every manufacturer has things that slip through the cracks... not just domestic but even high end cars, ask Mercedes guys how often those things are in the shop, you have to understand that so many of these parts are made outside the plant and just assembled into the final product. If they were to qc every inch of every part you’d still have issues and the cost for a vehicle would triple or more. Like the windshield clip, only way to really check it is destructive testing and then the parts scrap.

saylor

Reaction score
if you dont live any place its too cold (your 4x4 wont work, your autostart wont work, your air suspension will fail, etc., etc.)
and
if you dont live any place it rains (windshield leak, rear window leak, shark anteanna leak, 3rd brake light leak, water in housings, rambox randomly opening)
and
your batteries dont drain
and

you dont get the secret engine code warning

you might be OK

KCViper

Reaction score
I would agree with @securityguy that buying a new model year of any vehicle comes with some risks. I bought my Porsche 992 last year and was a new 7th generation 911. I've not had any issues with it, but then again only put 5k miles on it last year. IMO, an overwhelming majority of people vent on forums. When taking into account the number of vehicles produced, it could be a small number overall. Still, it sucks when it happens to you for sure!! I have yet to take possession of my Ram, but will certainly vent here if not satisfied.......but will also share my positive experiences as well! :)

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
if you dont live any place its too cold (your 4x4 wont work, your autostart wont work, your air suspension will fail, etc., etc.)
and
if you dont live any place it rains (windshield leak, rear window leak, shark anteanna leak, 3rd brake light leak, water in housings, rambox randomly opening)
and
your batteries dont drain
and

you dont get the secret engine code warning

you might be OK

Lol. My truck works great in the cold, including 4x4 and remote start, I don't have air so .... (it's been a warm winter, but it got down to -20 C so far). You should check out the GM forum where they have currently 200 pages discussing water leaks.

You see what you want to see, but all 3 american trucks are the same. You're fooling yourself if you think different.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My dealer gas one. Im starting a Go Fund Me page to test the quality question. I promise to get back to everyone...

Go to www.gethimatrxforcrapsake and donate today!
A $20K dealer markup...these folks are crazy!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats why I need the gofundme...

“Cmon’ man, help a guy out”.
That’s ridiculous, the ones around me are either for msrp or lightly discounted. That all being said, I really do question the 6.2 being sold for much longer. SRT was pretty much axed as a division yesterday by Stellantis, with a lot of these engines not being able to pass emissions, I don’t see even the mighty 5.7 lasting more than 5-10 years from now; let alone the 6.2 Hellcats. So who knows, the TRX may only be around for a year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online