5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck stuck in ACC mode when turning off.

typically-lost

Reaction score
Truck is a 2020 Ram 1500. Started happening 2 days ago. I get to my destination, do my typical shut down (park, hit the ignition button, seatbelt, door). However, now the truck turns the engine off but does not shut the electrical system down once the door is opened - it stays in ACC mode. Last night it sat in ACC mode all night to the point of draining the battery. Additionally, the blind spot warning is temporarily unavailable during all driving operations and is indicated by a message on the dash; programable garage door opener does not work, and tailgate will not open. Once tinkering with it for a bit once in park, it indicates that truck is not in park while it certainly is. I assume this is an electrical issue. I jumped the truck this morning and recharged the battery. As of right now, I have disconnected the battery completely to try to reset the internal computer. Does anyone else have any advise on fixes? Just trying to gather information before bringing it to the dealer. Thank you in advance.

eerattler

Reaction score
Something to rule out, but is there a bluetooth device connected to the truck? I had something similar happen to my Jeeps and this was a root cause. The bluetooth prevented the car from completely shutting down when off.

typically-lost

Reaction score
Something to rule out, but is there a bluetooth device connected to the truck? I had something similar happen to my Jeeps and this was a root cause. The bluetooth prevented the car from completely shutting down when off.
Just deleted all of the bluetooth phones that are paired. Problem still occurred. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I do notice that when I forget to put it in park before turning the truck off, it goes to acc instead of off. Maybe that's what's going on?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You did the one I would, which was disconnect the battery along with fully charging your battery. Modern vehicles are really sensitive to a low battery charge and sometimes act weird. If the reset didn't fix your issue, and it can take hours, then to the dealership I would go.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not likely, Double check to make sure all doors, hood, and tail gate are fully shut. But my bet is battery.

Merlin

Reaction score
Do you get a shift sensor error? if the computer isn't sensing it in park it wont shut it all the way off. It happened to me a couple times in my 2019 when I spun the shift knob too fast to park and it bounced back out. Just a thought.

Beaner121

Reaction score
Do you get a shift sensor error? if the computer isn't sensing it in park it wont shut it all the way off. It happened to me a couple times in my 2019 when I spun the shift knob too fast to park and it bounced back out. Just a thought.
I am his neighbor and have been looking at his truck. The shifter does not give an error, and if we purposefully leave it in gear, it auto parks the shift selector on its own. That all appears to be operational. I am still skeptical if it is the push button ign switch faulty or the shift selector even though there are no obvious issues with either.

mysticbus

Reaction score

That's the first thing I thought of, when you try to turn it off and you are still in drive, it goes to ACC mode instead of turning off.

typically-lost

Reaction score
Truck is a 2020 Ram 1500. Started happening 2 days ago. I get to my destination, do my typical shut down (park, hit the ignition button, seatbelt, door). However, now the truck turns the engine off but does not shut the electrical system down once the door is opened - it stays in ACC mode. Last night it sat in ACC mode all night to the point of draining the battery. Additionally, the blind spot warning is temporarily unavailable during all driving operations and is indicated by a message on the dash; programable garage door opener does not work, and tailgate will not open. Once tinkering with it for a bit once in park, it indicates that truck is not in park while it certainly is. I assume this is an electrical issue. I jumped the truck this morning and recharged the battery. As of right now, I have disconnected the battery completely to try to reset the internal computer. Does anyone else have any advise on fixes? Just trying to gather information before bringing it to the dealer. Thank you in advance.
For those interested, I brought the truck to the dealer to get a proper diagnosis. The problem was a faulty BCM which needed to be replaced (bought for $344 from another dealer due to short supply) and the new one reprogrammed. Received the truck back and all of the issues seem to have been resolved.

Nboly16

Reaction score
For those interested, I brought the truck to the dealer to get a proper diagnosis. The problem was a faulty BCM which needed to be replaced (bought for $344 from another dealer due to short supply) and the new one reprogrammed. Received the truck back and all of the issues seem to have been resolved.
Do you know which BCM it was, or where it was located? Currently having the same issue, no dealership opening for 2-3 weeks

Bulldog46

Reaction score
To OP....
Same thing just happened to me, 2016 Ram1500 Sport 5.7Hemi. It is in the dial selector. I had the same issue, turn dial to park, key fob will not go past Acc position. I ordered a new Dial selector unit to replace, but in the meantime was sitting there staring at it in the truck.. Then it hit me, I started the truck, put it in drive, turned the key off. The ECM/BCM then automatically will move the transmission and selector to park. This released the key to go to off and remove the key. I am not sure if this will happen again and I need to replace the selector yet. But, at least now I dont need a 14mm socket in the truck to disconnect the battery!

Jmcduffy

Reaction score
After this have you had anymore problems with it ? Im going through the same thing with my 2020REBEL .... RAM replaced the ignition switch and its doing it again

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this happen over the holidays but it was also accompanied by several DTC’s and messages on the dash to service various systems. Checked the codes and had a bunch of lost coms and other various tcm and abs codes. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to power down.

Truck is at the dealer but due to the holidays it won’t be looked at until tomorrow at the earliest. If you have a good scanner that can read codes from modules other than the PCM I’d see if any are stored.

Newbe2Ram

Reaction score
This just happened to me. Anyone with a solution?

I pulled a few codes on mine.

Attachments

• IMG_9766.PNG
    IMG_9766.PNG
    137.8 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/